Ankh why?

Before buying it i would like to hear some suggestions why to buy it.

-Difficulty
-Lenght for a medium adventurer (think I'm below it)
-Gameplay
-Others...

edit: Woops wrong tread could you place it in "3rd Party Game Discussion"? Think i missclicked.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Ankh is a really fun game, in the vein of the old LucasArts adventures. It has some bizarre puzzles, but nothing you can't solve - and if you really get stuck, you can always find help online. I don't quite remember how long it was, but I think it's about 20 hours or so. Not overly long, but you will definitely not be able to finish it in a day - more like a week or so. Lots of zany jokes, and the classic point-and-click interface. I'd highly recommend getting it.
  • edited November 2006
    20 hours? I haven't finished Ankh yet, but I've heard from many people that Ankh is a very short game, even for adventure game standards. In all the reviews, this is said to be the biggest fault of the game.

Even the AG review says 8-10 hours.
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, maybe I didn't remember right. I've played it not long after it came out, so I may be off. The game was pretty short, but not shorter than your average LucasArts adventure game (Grim Fandango excepted, maybe).
  • edited November 2006
    I am not really good at adventures but I like it that way. I think I'm going to buy it together with S&M S1 when payal works if it's realy a good game.
  • edited November 2006
    gilfe wrote: »
    Before buying it i would like to hear some suggestions why to buy it.

-Difficulty
    -Lenght for a medium adventurer (think I'm below it)
    -Gameplay
    -Others...

edit: Woops wrong tread could you place it in "3rd Party Game Discussion"? Think i missclicked.

There is a demo if you'd like to have a little sample of the gameplay before you buy. I played the demo several months ago, and will probably end up buying the full game from Telltale to tide me over the 2 month gap until Sam & Max ep2.
  • edited November 2006
    Ankh is a really short but very fun game, I would say about 6-8 hours (there are a few puzzle's that could take some time to find out). It's pretty easy if you have some adventure experience. But it's certainly one of the best adventures I've played this year.

Buy it ;)
  • edited November 2006
    I just beat al emmo, I will let my adventure game scratch get back and than I will buy this game. And maybe I will buy the bone games but I think there just a myth.
  • edited November 2006
    The Bone games are a myth? What do you mean by that?

--Erwin
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Well, when you think about it, almost all stories are myths to a certain degree, and the ones told in games are no exception.

But somehow, I don't think that's what Mimekiller meant.
  • edited November 2006
    Me neither. :) But what *did* he mean?

--Erwin
  • edited November 2006
    That they're presently unavailable to download from Telltale Games, probably, and that nobody can give a date when they'll reappear (in enhanced form).
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    I had stopped at EBGames a couple of days ago and actually found a copy of Ankh so I picked it up(Sorry Telltale :o )

From what I've played so far (I'm still in the first chapter), it's absolutely charming! Wonderful, fun characters, terrific dialogue (there's a terrific exchange you can have that brings up common AG complaints :D), great voice acting, cool and colorful environments so far (it's a nice change from some of the more serious games as of late). It also has a very interesting story so far. I'm playing little bits here and there. I don't personally find it exceptionally easy. The interface is a little different (you right click to talk, pick up objects and use objects whereas left click is look) but I got used to it quickly.
  • edited November 2006
    Glad to hear that you like it :) It was hard work to create this game. It cost us sleep, gray hairs, and several girlfriends. Well, almost. But, of course, as long as there's one player out there who enjoys Ankh, it was worth the effort!
  • edited December 2006
    Yeh, Ankh's actually pretty good, brings back memory of Monkey Island if you ask me.
  • edited May 2007
    voice acting good? I wasn't that impressed to be honest.. especially not the opening sequence.. it's just awful and lacking in any emotion. Yuck.
    The other characters once you start are pretty good though

Anyway, I started the demo, found it quite fun.. I might buy the full version when I have the money and time to kill.
  • edited June 2007
    It's a great game, one of the best.

There was this one horrible, horrible puzzle near the end though, involving some sort of jar.
  • edited July 2007
    quaility beats quantity... think what you pay for a movie ticket, we gamers are spoiled :-)
  • edited July 2007
    SPOILER WARNING

haha in the 1st chapter in ankh 2 you die and the credits roll after maybe 15 min of game play. Then a bad guy stops the credits and says you think thats all?! And your character says something like "well they said ankh 1 was this short .. so...

Please add hint boxes if you wish! Game is HILARIOUS and made me buy this version of ankh 1 even though I have a 1998 copy from the RISC days hmm same game i wonder?
  • edited July 2007
    @Kaldire: A spoiler warning would have been nice, you just ruined one of the best jokes of the game...
  • edited July 2007
    well dont know how to use the spoiler boxes but I suppose I could have wrote
    SPOILER WARNING.. but whats the use in that.
  • edited August 2007
    This is a spoiler (well no it's not but you get the idea)
    You might also want to make it clear in the warning it's for Ankh2 since this is a Ankh thread so I thought well I finished Ankh so I can read it... Ooops. I quickly stopped but I already read a bit
  • MelMel
    edited August 2007
    Spoiler boxes:

[ spoiler ]text here[ /spoiler ] (just leave out the spaces in the brackets)
  • edited August 2007
    The world in Ankh is alot bigger then in Sam and Max.
  • edited August 2007
    Ankh also happens to be a full game, rather than a series of 6 episodic games. So yeah, it probably will be bigger.

What spurred that comment anyway? It seemed a bit random.
  • edited August 2007
    badwolf even with all the episodes places I dont think it adds the the scene total that is in ankh. Just not alot of places in sam n max :P
    Was pretty random of a comment though.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.