How old is Guybrush exactly?

2»

Comments

• edited February 2010
    apenpaap wrote: »
    He's 19 in Revenge. When he gets the library card he says he's ninete- er, I mean twenty-one.
    I think that's a joke reference to his age in SMI. But in LCR the Big Whoop story happens three years before the game setting, and we all know LeChuck was already undead in SMI, so my guess is that 2 years passed there, and SMI was 1 year after Big Whoop, so it all sums up.
    In Tales, Stan says there were 3 months between Revenge and Curse, and in Escape both Guybrush and Elaine say their honeymoon was 3 months a couple of times.
    However, in the beginning of CMI, when Guybrush writes his blog, he says "i've been stranded for half a year now after being part of Big Whoop", plus three-four months of his honeymoon make it about 1 year or so between LCR and EMI.
    In Tales it is said Guybrush and Elaine have been pirating together for ten years. Though whether that means ten years since Secret or ten years since Curse/Escape is not clear.
    Yeah. But that might also refer to real-time count, with EMI being released 10 years ago. As it might not. I think it's at the player's discretion. And personally I wouldn't say Guybrush is 30 in Tales, personally he doesn't even look 25 to me. Plus, Guybrush says he had a year-long adventure for the Cutlass of Kaflu. But there may have been other adventures before.
  • edited February 2010
    Uzrname wrote: »
    I think that's a joke reference to his age in SMI.
    It's possible, but I can't remember his age being named anywhere in Secret. I may have missed it though. But the nineteen years old also makes sense as he is twenty in Curse, and Stan says there were three months between Revenge and Curse.
    However, in the beginning of CMI, when Guybrush writes his blog, he says "i've been stranded for half a year now after being part of Big Whoop"
    No, he doesn't.

Yeah. But that might also refer to real-time count, with EMI being released 10 years ago. As it might not. I think it's at the player's discretion. And personally I wouldn't say Guybrush is 30 in Tales, personally he doesn't even look 25 to me. Plus, Guybrush says he had a year-long adventure for the Cutlass of Kaflu. But there may have been other adventures before.

Yeah, the exact amount of time between Escape and Tales is pretty vague. There is at least one more adventure between the two: the one where LeChuck becomes a killer walrus.
  • edited February 2010
    Well, if you consider him being 17 in SMI (btw that would make sense for "you're too young to drink" jokes), then add ten years to it (since Tales must be referring to the first time they've met on Melee), then that would make sense to me for Guybrush to be 27 or 28 years old. But if so, Elaine must then be 30.
  • edited February 2010
    I always saw Elaine as being in her 20s in the first game... with Guybrush in his teens. 16 or 17 maybe.. but I definitely have always assumed Elaine was a good bit older than he was.
  • edited February 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Morgan might be 20 or so, meaning she'd be 10 at the time of Secret, and followed Guybrush since then.

I'ma say she's at least 21. Bartenders in the Caribbean seem to be pretty good about carding, even if they're lax on making sure the ID is actually valid.

As for Guybrush, I've said all I have to say on that. He's 19 in MI2 and 20 in Curse, anything other than that is speculation, though you can take a pretty good guess at his age the rest of the time.
  • edited February 2010
    I'ma say she's at least 21. Bartenders in the Caribbean seem to be pretty good about carding, even if they're lax on making sure the ID is actually valid.

Personally I think Morgan's about 19. As Guybrush has proven, it's not too hard to get a fake ID in the MI world.

I think Guybrush is 17 or 18 in Secret, as already mentioned we know he's 19 in MI2 and 20 in Curse. I also agree with the theory that Tales takes place 10 years after Secret, which would make him 27-28. And I do think that Elaine is a bit older than him so yeah, she'd be about 30 in Tales.
  • edited February 2010
    I don't know, Morgan just feels older than that to me. Then again, I'm 22 and perceive myself as being less mature than a lot of other 22 year olds, so maybe my perception is off.
  • edited February 2010
    I don't get why so many people are sure about Guybrush's age in LeChuck's Revenge. All we have to go by is a dialogue option that says "Ninet... uhh, twenty-one." (or something like that) in response to the librarian asking about his age. How is this a guarantee that Guybrush is 19? Maybe he was just throwing that number out, but changed it to 21 to be able to get a drink at the bar.

Truth is, the first time I played the game I thought he was about to say ninety - because, if I recall correctly, he says "ninet..." and not "ninete..." - and since then I have dismissed the line as another silly joke. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but I was young, English isn't my first language, and I'm sometimes incredibly thick. My point is that it could just be a joke, as could his guild membership card in Curse. Then again, all references to his age are probably jokes. :)

I always imagined him around 20 in Secret, quite a bit older in MI2 (22 or 23) and 25 in MI3. But those numbers are just how I originally perceived him, without Guruguru-lly over-analysing things.

Morgan is 22 or 23. That's what my gut tells me. I realise I'm not contributing much to the debate here, I'm just sharing my initial impressions. Sorry for the lack of substance. :p
  • edited February 2010
    Guys, don't base your deductions on legal drinking age. The whole story is supposedly happening during the piracy era (i.e. 1700 or so), it's unlikely there was ANY form of ID back then. So it's not actually proven you need to be either 18 or 21 to drink there.

Plus, it's only a joke.

But I still think Morgan's 20. Or 21 (if you still consider the drinking age limit).
  • edited February 2010
    I still stick to the 19 and 20 being his only "canon" ages. The 19 could be a joke, but still, in MI3 he uses his real age to trick a pirate at the fair, and he's 20 at the time. I doubt he'd fake a card to make him appear younger than he is so I'm going to say that's his age in MI3. What with there being 3 months between 2 and 3, Guybrush still being 19 in MI2 makes sense, so I'm taking it as his real age and not a throwaway joke.

But I agree that everything else is purely speculation. I still think he could have been 16 or 17 in Secret (if we are to believe the reference to three years is a reference to the time between MI1 and MI2): if he celebrated his birthday between MI2 and MI3, then he could either have been 16 but almost 17 (then three years later he's 19 but almost 20), or had turned 17 recently (then by "three years later" Elaine might be referring to two years and ten months for instance, but not bothering being that specific).
  • edited February 2010
    I still think he could have been 16 or 17 in Secret (if we are to believe the reference to three years is a reference to the time between MI1 and MI2)
    Once again, that would make sense for him being 17 in SMI and 19 in LCR (two years between the games, actually).

It's him being 27 in Tales that I still can't quite cope with.
  • edited February 2010
    It's him being 27 in Tales that I still can't quite cope with.

Well, someone had the theory that the "ten years" were a reference to the time since Escape came out rather than the time that elapsed in-game.
    However, that wouldn't explain how Morgan could have followed Guybrush "since she was a little girl".
  • edited February 2010
    Guys, don't base your deductions on legal drinking age. The whole story is supposedly happening during the piracy era (i.e. 1700 or so), it's unlikely there was ANY form of ID back then. So it's not actually proven you need to be either 18 or 21 to drink there.

Plus, it's only a joke.
    Well, it's not just a joke, getting an ID card is a puzzle too.

There obviously were no government enforced drinking age in the carribean in the 18th century, but in the Monkey Island universe, or at least on Scabb Island, there is. It's likely to assume that that drinking age is 21 for two main reasons: First, All the answers you can give about your age to the librarian are "21", with various hesitations, indicating that Guybrush is lying. Secondly, the Monkey Island universe is not a historically correct representation of 18th century pirate life in the carribean, but rather a pastiche of that said era, intertwined with a Flintstones-like emulation of the modern world, and in California (where Lucasarts is located) and the rest of the US, the legal drinking age is 21.
  • edited February 2012
    However, that wouldn't explain how Morgan could have followed Guybrush "since she was a little girl".

She's exaggerating cos she's a fan girl.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.