Soda Jerk

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
the 3 soda poppers are often refered to as soda jerks, normally i could understand but they refer to themselves as jerks which seems kind of odd. Can anyone shed any light on why they are jerks, what did they do?!

Comments

• edited November 2006
    someone who sold soda from a soda fountain store was called a "soda jerk." It didn't have the connotation of a mean person, as "jerk" does today.
  • edited November 2006
    oh right, but whats a soda fountain store, a store that just sells sodas? fountain in the back or something?? Localisation has not been kind to us poor europeans
  • edited November 2006
    Is Boscos response "I get quite a few tongues that way" to Sam´s Comment on the "Tongues on the Freezer become property of Bosco" Sign a reference to something, or is it just there for pure fun?

Second thing i noticed was that Liver and Onion Live Sign, which was quite funny. ;) Again, a reference or just there for oddity?
  • edited November 2006
    oh right, but whats a soda fountain store, a store that just sells sodas? fountain in the back or something?? Localisation has not been kind to us poor europeans

soda fountains were a while back. mostly in diners, there would be a bars but instead for soda, often having the base colas but also the option for additional syrups as well. people who serve you in this area were 'soda jerks'. best example i can think of for this is a restaurant called 'ruby's' today or you could probably find this in older shows (happy days comes to mind).
  • edited November 2006
    They are called 'jerks' because there is a lever that dispenses the syrup and cola, and the soda jerks 'jerk' the lever to dispense the stuff. I did it once at the World of Coke at Atlanta, Georgia. Fun!
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, it's a 1950's-1970's thing, and it's probably somewhat alien to most young Americans as well, but that's kind of the point.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_jerk
  • edited November 2006
    I first learned about it in las vegas at the coke museum/store
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Wow, I learned something today! Thanks for the Wikipedia link.
    Stoney wrote: »
    Is Boscos response "I get quite a few tongues that way" to Sam´s Comment on the "Tongues on the Freezer become property of Bosco" Sign a reference to something, or is it just there for pure fun?

Just fun, I think. If it's a reference I didn't get it.
    Second thing i noticed was that Liver and Onion Live Sign, which was quite funny. ;) Again, a reference or just there for oddity?

I think that's also just for fun. I love how if you look closely at the sign, you see the musicians pictured are actually liver and an onion, with legs.
  • edited November 2006
    Stoney wrote: »

I may be stating the obvious here, but...
    The thing about tongues refers to the idea of dumb people trying to lick frost on something very cold, and then getting their tongue stuck to it. The movies "Dumb and Dumber" and "A Christmas Story" both had jokes along these lines, but Bosco's line isn't really a specific reference to anything, just a creepy joke :p
    "Liver and onions" is just a food dish that some people enjoy but most people think is awful.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.