Brilliant!

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
Just completed and absolutely loved Episode 1 of Sam & Max! Thanks a lot TellTale, that was well worth the wait and the money!

At first I worried that the voices of Sam and Max were going to grate, or that the old S&M humour wasn't going to translate into today, but I was wrong on both counts. I grew to love the voices, and the S&M humour has been tweaked to be a little more adult (could have been more), a bit more satirical (which I loved!) but just as much fun as before, and it worked a treat!

My concerns over the "basic" retro-style adventure-gameplay evaporated, too - swept away by the intelligence, wit and just overall fun:- The thing that made the old LucasArts adventure games great in the first place! It's great to see that that sort of thing can still work!

It's really like the original Sam and Max are back, or rather, like they've never been away - and the great thing is I've got another five episodes to look forward to! If they're as good as this one, I'll be extremely happy!

Thanks again, TellTale, you've done a brilliant job!

Adventure games are back - and LucasArts were wrong, they DO still work today!

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I can only concur. The game truly is as great as the original. The only thing that could've been better is the difficulty. It's a little bit too easy for the experienced adventurer. But that doesn't take away the fun at all.

Great job, and I hope you guys can bring us five more instant-classic episodes. Thx for proving LucasArts was wrong by showing the world adventure games are still a great genre, and alive and kicking.
  • edited November 2006
    100% in my books.

I'm always amazed at how humans can take something already so great and take the time and effort to make it even better. It's a monumental achievement.
  • edited November 2006
    Also, it seems like the adventure genre fits perfectly with the episodic release model. Knowing that only two months from now i will be playing episode 2 is just great! Seeing how some huge franchises sky rocket when it comes to development costs, i find it extremely refreshing to see smaller companies like Telltale embrace a business model which could, in my perspective, revive the adventure genre as we knew it back in the early 90's.

I believe that the adventure genre, if it wants to survive, needs to turn its back on the technology thingamabobs, and take a left turn where the sign says "alternate distribution and emphasis on story and gameplay".

We might not be many, but when Sam & Max hits the road, we wanna come along for the ride.
  • edited November 2006
    Johnny Walker... Hey, are you Cancer's singer/guitarist?:eek:
  • edited November 2006
    No, he's a bottle of fairly average scotch.
  • edited November 2006
    Great game. Just finished it today. I do hope, though, that the next epsiodes will be somewhat longer and harder. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    No, he's a bottle of fairly average scotch.

Average?! How dare you...!
  • edited November 2006
    Giligan wrote: »
    Great game. Just finished it today. I do hope, though, that the next epsiodes will be somewhat longer and harder. ;)

Do you also want longer development cycles for each episode? Because more locations do that to games you know. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    elsenator wrote: »
    Do you also want longer development cycles for each episode? Because more locations do that to games you know. ;)

Patience is a hard razor to swallow. :D

In all fairness, $*8-9.00 was a little bit spendy for such a short episode. I finished the game in one morning. :cool: A little more meat on the game's bones would have been nice.
  • edited November 2006
    In all fairness, $*8-9.00 was a little bit spendy for such a short episode. I finished the game in one morning. :cool: A little more meat on the game's bones would have been nice.

I think that depends on your playing style. You can finish it in 2 hours if you want to, but you can also spend 4 hours on it if you really dig into the dialog and fully embrace the combinations the game has to offer. I don't think it's about having more locations to visit - it's more about taking full advantage of the ones you are offered.
    In that perspective, i think 9 bucks is very cheap. Also, pre-ordering all the episodes lowers the $/episode a lot, making it even cheaper. I can't come up with another game that offers such great value for money.
  • edited November 2006
    elsenator wrote: »
    In that perspective, i think 9 bucks is very cheap. Also, pre-ordering all the episodes lowers the $/episode a lot, making it even cheaper. I can't come up with another game that offers such great value for money.

Actually, it's not me. A lot of people say to me "You paid $9 bucks for a game that can be played in three hours? Are you kidding me?!?!".
    As such, I came to this thread, looking for someone else to provide me with a good comeback line to those people.
  • Sean ASean A Former Telltale Staff
    edited November 2006
    I came to this thread, looking for someone else to provide me with a good comeback line to those people.

Ask them when's the last time they saw a movie, which is about $9.50 where I live, and did they get to keep it, and was it four hours long and intelligent?

$8.95 is a steal for this game. Especially considering you could buy something like Prince of Persia (all good games, by the way) for $50 and only get ten or so hours. Or, if you look at the original Sam & Max, that was maybe a fifteen-hour game...if each episode of Season 1 takes 3-4 hours each, that's 18-24 hours of gameplay for $35, or $54, depending on how you buy it. Other than an RPG, how many games take 20+ hours to finish?

Or you can say something shorter. Up to you.
  • edited November 2006
    I think that depends on your playing style. You can finish it in 2 hours if you want to, but you can also spend 4 hours on it if you really dig into the dialog and fully embrace the combinations the game has to offer. I don't think it's about having more locations to visit - it's more about taking full advantage of the ones you are offered.

I agree completely! When you consider the final 'Series' will be six episodes in total, and, according to Gillian, that's three hours to complete per episode, that's about 20 hours for $35, which is actually damned cheap for such a quality game!

Gillian: I think you're just going to have to just accept that the people who couldn't get over how "much" episode one cost are not very good at maths! Besides, it's quality not quantity!
  • edited November 2006
    Shoemonkey wrote: »
    Ask them when's the last time they saw a movie, which is about $9.50 where I live, and did they get to keep it, and was it four hours long and intelligent? $8.95 is a steal for this game. Or you can say something shorter. Up to you.
    Gillian: I think you're just going to have to just accept that the people who couldn't get over how "much" episode one cost are not very good at maths! Besides, it's quality not quantity!

Thanks, guys. Wish me luck. ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.