Dear Telltale

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
First of all, thank you!....Thank You!.....you didn't mess it up. :)

Somewhere at the back of my mind a sweaty teenage dream was drowning in a pool of it's own mucus and self loathing, you guys just dove right in there without a thought for your future sanity and gave it mouth to mouth!

We know the battle has only just begun but I'd say the first strike was a success, I can only see things getting better, especially if the Telltale staff keep an eye on these forums (which I notice they do), I've seen quite a few ideas floating around...which leads me to offering a few of my own.

The lack of verb commands does restrict the feeling of freedom (and the amount of potential replies to dumb requests) but thankfully the balance of interesting things to click is perfect.

It'd be good if perhaps you could have a 'Look' function separate from the general action function, this could be mapped to the right mouse button because as it stands it feels as naked as a freshly shaved gerbil.

The level of audio compression on the vocals borders on annoying, I'd happily put up with a larger download if it improved my immersion in the plot.

A double click could have Sam move a bit faster, perhaps not full bore running as it might look weird, also double clicking on an exit you've already used could perform a quick exit as in the later classic adventures.

The ability to attempt to combine objects in the inventory would be nice (and humorous), also when Sam comments on an object the inventory box closes, a little bit frustrating if you wanted to look at another item afterwards.

Lastly, one of the things i treasure the most in classic adventure games is the feeling of a large new world to explore, things did feel a bit claustrophobic in episode one but I think the benefits of episodic gaming will soon outweigh this.

Thanks and thanks again for keeping the dream alive, storytelling is such a crucial part of life and living!

Faithfully yours

WD

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions! :)

I would also like to see some combination of inventory items in future episodes... as long as it's nothing really obscure.
  • edited November 2006
    WDeranged wrote: »
    The ability to attempt to combine objects in the inventory would be nice (and humorous), also when Sam comments on an object the inventory box closes, a little bit frustrating if you wanted to look at another item afterwards.

Lastly, one of the things i treasure the most in classic adventure games is the feeling of a large new world to explore, things did feel a bit claustrophobic in episode one but I think the benefits of episodic gaming will soon outweigh this.

Agreed, I found it a little frustrating that the inventory would always close when I was examining an object, also makes it unlikely that we would be combining objects.

Would be nice if the place did open up a little more. There wasn't really many scenes to explore yet, which is unfortunate. Would also be nice if there were scenes that didn't have much purpose yet---that would be used in the next episodes, just to add a bit of fluidity to the series. Right now it almost feels like the game was over already, didn't leave much anticipation for the next episodes.

Justin
  • edited November 2006
    I waited through the whole game to see when I'd get to go into the dumspter, fire escape up the side of the alley, the Esperanto bookstore or the hatch in the ground just outside it. Maybe we'll get to see the neighbourhood a little more later?
  • edited November 2006
    Warm fountains of joy! Things are going to get better I expect, consider how well Telltale have done with their existing funds, I imagine after the fundage from Episode One and the suggestions on the forums we should see some really cool things.

Fingers crossed anyway :)

WD
  • edited November 2006
    I agree. This is a great game. The thing is people forget that its an intro game. Its episode 1. Its an intro. If this was a book it means that things will progress further and change pace. In the episodic gaming world, this means that (in theory) it will become more difficult with each episode. Or at least to a degree. Also with episodic gaming you get the added bonus of fan input. This is a plus for the fans because someone is actually listening and its a plus for people making the game because they get to enhance product with the feedback.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.