Are these episodes a bit too short or a bit too easy?

edited December 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
I have now played the first two episodes with my seven year-old boy at my side. A cozy situation and we both enjoy playing. However, I found especially episode 2 rather short and / or easy. We needed no hints whatsoever, and it always seemed obvious what we should do. If the game had been in Danish, my son would very likely have been able to finish it all by himself in a week or so. Which is nice in its own way - perhaps Telltale should take to making adventure games for children? :)

However, I - as a more mature and experienced gamer - found the game rather lacking in challenge. (Though not at all in humour and storyline. :) )

Anyone else had the same experience?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    meretchen wrote: »
    I have now played the first two episodes with my seven year-old boy at my side. A cozy situation and we both enjoy playing. However, I found especially episode 2 rather short and / or easy. We needed no hints whatsoever, and it always seemed obvious what we should do. If the game had been in Danish, my son would very likely have been able to finish it all by himself in a week or so. Which is nice in its own way - perhaps Telltale should take to making adventure games for children? :)

However, I - as a more mature and experienced gamer - found the game rather lacking in challenge. (Though not at all in humour and storyline. :) )

I think it's a good amount of very enjoyable gameplay for the reasonable price of $5-$9 an episode.
  • edited November 2009
    Well, "short & easy" I would agree with. Personally, I didn't find them either too short or too easy. It probably has a lot to do with your expectations; for W&G I expected a nice story and the W&G atmosphere that's typical in the W&G shorts, and I think the game delivers that, even if it's not too difficult for experienced gamers like yourself.

By the way, if you're looking for another easy game to play with your son, you should definitely check out the Bone games. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Like most Telltale games it took about 4-5 hours for me, so it was what I expected. I didn't find the puzzles hard and didn't need hints, but that's why I like Telltale games. They weren't too easy, but they have a logical answer that you can figure out.
  • edited November 2009
    TTGS episodes are indeed short in terms of games, add em up though and they equal around 2-3 hrs of gameplay per sode (depending on game and sode mind you)

now if you dont care to look at all the objects .. like in sam n max season ep 2-SEASON 2 where they then finally changed the objects DESCRIPTIONS .. ANNND you know the solutions to problems
    you can get down to 1 hr per sode WITHOUT skipping dialog.
    now with skipping (which ive personally tried... im down to about 22 min or so for MI sodes) but if you look in the support thread skipping since the ole clock fade out has sorta .. messed things up, as well as the speech over speech stuff.. when you hear 2-3 voices at once

VERY VERY annoying in CSI's newest advent

back to the point

I feel that yes some of the sodes coude be longer, and in the end I feel like someHOW, there should be two degrees of difficulty.. YE OLE SCHOOL GAMER and STANDARD GEEK or something..one would have much harder puzzles with little to no added content as well as some more dialog options that would be well.. harder to gain access to the story with if done wrong or something.

didnt need hints ... hmm.. well if a puzzle is to hard .. like again the old LA or sierra days.. I understand but.. there has literally been only one puzzle that ever stumped me in the entire telltale lineup, and thats it...

bottom line

some episodes should be longer and I believe that in the end a good solid 20-30 hr game is well worth what telltale is asking, only problem is, for geeks like me its more like 5-10 hrs of gaming per season... even looking at things...
    so I must say.. if you add the difficulty for us..dorks.. lol, then it might add length to the sode...

just an obsevation.

but I believe most of TTG is totally against insane puzzles as was seen in sam n max ORIGINAL etc.. just so obtuse..

this isnt what im thinking of btw..(I saw so much potential with the WG ice cream machine) but it wasnt used for squat... set it on hard and make it so you have to do somethiiiing hard to mix X to Y to get Z to use it on XY or YZ in said X Y or Z area ..

tried to leave spoliers out.. sorry for the algebra and the long post
  • edited November 2009
    I spend a very long time on episodes, since I typically want to see and do everything there is to do before I finish the puzzles.
  • edited November 2009
    Really, difficulty level is a matter of who you are and how you think. I found the first one a little bit challenging and got stuck a couple times. But, again, it all depends on who you are.
  • edited December 2009
    meretchen wrote: »

You should talk to the fools who posted the poor reviews on Amazon of "I can't figure out how to play this game".
Sign in to comment in this discussion.