Actors?

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
I'm kinda obsessed with voice acting and actors in particular, and the ones who did Sam & Max are obviously really good. I missed to check in the credits and my savegames are now pretty far from the end, I can't find the names on IMDB either, anyone know or wanna check the credits for me real quick?:D

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Sam is David Nowlin, who did Fone Bone for our Bone games, and Max is Andrew Chaikin, who did Phoney Bone :)

(I don't remember the others offhand)
  • edited November 2006
    Thankyou very much.;)
  • edited November 2006
    tabacco wrote: »
    Sam is David Nowlin, who did Fone Bone for our Bone games, and Max is Andrew Chaikin, who did Phoney Bone :)

(I don't remember the others offhand)

Sam's voice is the same as Fone Bone's? That's odd, because I thought the voice work for Sam was much better than Fone Bone's.
  • edited November 2006
    Is that the Andrew Chaikin who did songs for Guitar Hero? If so: neat.

Glad to see somebody else obsessed with voice actors. All my friends think I am just weird. :'(
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    0renji wrote: »
    Is that the Andrew Chaikin who did songs for Guitar Hero? If so: neat.

I don't know, but I think it probably is. I'd be surprised if there were two guys named Andrew Chaikin both doing voice work for video games. :D
  • edited November 2006
    Why cant they just use the original Voices from Hit the road? thats what pisses me off about the Sam and Max Freelancer Police cartoon show. It bothered me alittle in the game but i got over it. But after beatiing the episode i wanted to play Hit the Road. I looked back into the original Sam and Max voices and they guys are still alive.

Bill Farmer was Sam
    Nick Jameson was Max

Nick really had the Max voice down in the Hit the Road game.
    as for Bill his voice seemed like a Sam in a way.
    You can really feel it when he said "You crack me up little buddy."
    Not like the other Sam voices where it just didnt feel right.
  • edited November 2006
    Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson are high profile actors/voice actors. While I'm sure this was on the mind of the designers, I think one of the following, or a combination, are the explination of their absense.

1) Availability ( Conflict of schedules )
    2) Finance ( Conflict of available money )
    3) Artistic Merit ( Giving new actors a chance )
    4) Fine Print Obligations ( Can only work with a specific stuido, Tom Cruise being an example of this )
    5) Inexplicible ( TellTaleGamaphobia, intellectual-property-licence-necrophobia, xenophobia )
    6) Tragic ( Lost phone numbers, bad lunch dates, gruesome folding chair accident )
    7) Bizzare ( Alien intervention, Robot intervention, Ninja intervention, Pirate intervention )
  • edited November 2006
    All Bill Farmer is doing is Goofy's voice in Kindom hearts. you'd think Sam is a step up from that Disney character. Damm, i need to find a way to email that guy he was the best Sam voice.
    Now that Nick guy he looks like hes going real good. God i wish some of these hot shot actors would go back and go the good stuff. i bet ur right about the money thing too. *sighs* they never thing about there fans. its always what they want
  • edited November 2006
    It's been said hundreds of times, they haven't been hired 'caude "they aren't available". Complaining's useless, stop living 13 years ago and be happy about the new Sam & Max.
    "They never think about the fans"???????!?!?!??!??
    If it wasn't for TellTale we'd have been still crying for Lucasarts' Freelance Police.
    Think about it.
  • edited November 2006
    I fail to see why we would need the people who did Hit the Road now. The majority of people (including me) seem to like the new voices.
  • edited November 2006
    Guybrush is right, i am living in the past. but come on the old voices just go with the Sam and Max. Everytime i hear, "you crack me up little buddy." its Bill Farmers voice. the others just dont sound right to me. Like in the cartoon. Just my opinion i guess
  • edited November 2006
    I was just looking at Andrew Chaikin's bio on imdb. . . it's a rather terrifying coincidence that he also voiced the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter and the March Hare in American McGee's Alice.
  • edited November 2006
    I actually prefer the newer Max voices to the one in Hit the Road. It kind of went with his weird, mangled, off-white 320x400 sprite, but for the more accurate representations of Max in the cartoon and new game, I find the old voice to sound too aged and New York-ish. I think my favorite Max voice is the cartoon voice. I can picture the new voice becoming the perfect medium between the two, with some more work. As for Sam, I probably do like his Hit The Road voice best, but I'm satisfied with the other two. The delivery could improve in a few spots, but mostly it's fine.
  • edited November 2006
    So I finished Culture Shock and like the rest of you read through the credits and also noticed that Max was voiced by Andrew Chaikin. I followed octochan's lead and checked imdb and found it was the same guy I thought it was.

Formerly of vocal rock band The House Jacks, Andrew is also known as Kid Beyond and is considered one of the world's premier vocal percussionists (beatboxers). You can check out his stuff at acatunes.com.

DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way associated with Andrew or the twenty different names he operates under. Just a stupid fan.

Back to the discussion at hand, I'll cast my vote in favor of the new voice actors. I thought they nailed the characters and I understand why from both a business and often personal standpoint that you can't always get the people you want for a given project.

My hope is that the choices Telltale has made in terms of casting and production have made it profitable to produce these games so we get many more Sam & Max adventures.

DM
  • edited November 2006
    ive giving in, i played Culture Shock again and i relised that the Sam and Max new voices could work. Guess things cant be the same as they were. Alot of ppls have a good point about the New Max voice. Ill just have to play it over and over and over like i did with Hit the Road. i can beat that game in under an hour, listening to all those lines and shit. Playing it now that im matured i can understand most of the jokes, not like when i was 8 trying to play the game lol

I say we should keep the new voices, they seem to work well.
    I see the light.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.