Widescreen resolutions...

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
So, I know that the game doesn't support anything but 4:3 resolutions out of the box... however with a bit of determination I figured out how to force it to run at my LCD screen's native resolution of 1920x1200. The graphics look fantastic and run very smooth on my X850 XT PE *but* - and this is a bit but - I now see what Telltale was mentioning in other threads about "some issues" with non-4:3 resolutions.

Basically, the game still "thinks" internally in 4:3. So, while I would expect 1920x1200 to either give me the same "viewable" height as 1600x1200 but add on some extra width -or- stretch the picture horizontally (like I can manually set my monitor to do at 1600x1200), it instead gives me the same viewable width while chopping off the top and bottom of the screen (to put it another way, it's showing me 1920x1200 but it's trying to draw 1920x1440).

Which is a major issue, since the top menu bar and bottom inventory are *completely* missing and make the game impossible to use.

However, I would imagine that this really shouldn't be hard to fix, but I think Telltale needs to realize that there are enough of us out there that want to run at 1440x1050, 1920x1200 and even 1280x1024!

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I used a widescreen 21" 1680x1050 (I think) and it worked like a little legend!
  • edited November 2006
    The resolution of my screen is also 1920x1200...
    I played at 1600x1200 - it worked for me, although I had the feeling, everything was a little bit squeezed.

In any case it would be best to use the native resolution of the screen.
    Scaling the image always causes quality loss on tfts...
  • edited November 2006
    Mikdog, try to play in windowed mode, and you'll see that in fact the game is anamorphic.... first time I played, I didn't notice much, just a bit... then, I played with different options, and I saw that it was compressed (I'm in 1680x1050 too).
    But it's at least the third topic about screen resolution, why don't just answer to others ? lots of computer screens are now widescreen (16:10) TV ones are 16:9, and older ones are 4:3.
    I gave macintosh resolutions in another topic.
  • edited November 2006
    Related postings in this forum:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171

Seems to be a popular theme... perhaps this topic is worthy of elevation to stickyness, O Great and Mighty Telltale Administratrix?

Just a thought.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm in 1440x900 and I also lost part of the option gear on the higher resolution but that seemed to fix itself after a while. It was stretched the first time I played it and I felt there was something wrong but couldn't put my finger on it, until I found out how to stop my computer stretching everything to fit the screen. It looks a lot better unstretched, even with the black bars down both sides.
  • edited November 2006
    There is also this topic, in addition to Dracogen's list :
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200
Sign in to comment in this discussion.