max is max, but sam is not sam

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
sam's voice is irritating me. it seems like that when he talk he's not part of the action, like he's reading from a paper or something you can't hear any emotion in his voice, it's just dull.

with max voice you can hear the insanity. with sam, nothing.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    You have no humour. Sams new voice beats the animated series. And Hit the road.
  • edited November 2006
    You're the 283469238649th person who says so.
    And there are 10000000000 people who hate Max's voice.

I think that you all should:
    1) surrender
    2) start appreciating both voices, imho they're good, I dunno what you guys want from a voice actor
    3) STOP COMPARING the Season 1 to Hit The Road and the TV series, those times are over, and we're already lucky we're still speaking about S&M.

I don't wanna offend anyone, but I can figure out how it would be having the responsability of making every fan happy.
    It's just not possible, so why complaining so much instead of trying to appreciate what's good (everything) in ep.1?:confused:
  • edited November 2006
    gargar wrote: »
    ...you can't hear any emotion in his voice, it's just dull.

For me Sam's (mono)tone and (cooly detached) delivery nicely matches those classic film noir gumshoe private dicks that the likes of Humphrey Bogart made famous back in the 1940s.
  • edited November 2006
    abdallah wrote: »
    You have no humour. Sams new voice beats the animated series. And Hit the road.
    It's better than the animated series, but just short of Hit of the Road, in my opinion. Max' voice is great.
  • edited November 2006
    Max's voice is like he's pumped up on coffee.

Sam sounds like he's addicted to horse tranquilizers.

I would've said dog tranquilizers were it not for the fact that horse tranquilizers sounds more impressive.
  • edited November 2006
    mikdog wrote: »

I would've said dog tranquilizers were it not for the fact that horse tranquilizers sounds more impressive.
    Perhaps it's those weights under his hat.
  • edited November 2006

That's just how they're meant to be, then.
    This proves the voices work!:D
  • edited November 2006

They should switch for a day, freak everybody out.

We've replaced Max's coffee with Sam's horse tranquilizers, and vice versa. Let's see if they notice
  • edited November 2006
    sam's voice is irritating me. it seems like that when he talk he's not part of the action, like he's reading from a paper or something you can't hear any emotion in his voice, it's just dull.

I disagree.
  • edited November 2006
    Sam sounds great!!
  • edited November 2006
    Much better than Sam's voice in the animated series that's for sure.
  • edited November 2006
    I was also thinking that Max is spot on, but Sam indeed didn't feel quite right to me. I think he needs a bit more life in his voice - not the Max kind of life, but more of a sarcastic edge.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm quite comfortable saying "I like it but it can be better". Sometimes his voice seems too muffled, but I don't mean as an audio problem.
  • edited November 2006

with max voice you can hear the insanity. with Sam, nothing.

I disagree. Sam's voice has that classic film noir sound to it, which stands in perfect contrast to Max's caffeine boosted outbursts. I love it how it is.
  • edited November 2006
    I agree, AND I disagree, at the same time.
  • edited November 2006
    I actually like the voice for its flatness. Sam is supposed to be this calm, cool, and collected character who just happens to be every bit as nutty as Max.
  • edited November 2006
    I appreciate Sam's monotonous voice. It gives him a very specific personality. I admit I didn't like it upon hearing it at first, but after play Ep1, I wouldn't want Telltale to change it. Unless they changed it to the voice of a sexy chick who keeps telling me that she wants me now...

Man, the fantasies of a Computer Engineer are really sad, aren't they?
  • edited November 2006
    I was a bit disappointed with Sam's voice when I first started playing, but then I realized: hey, it's just as much Sam as the other Sam's, it's just different. It adds a new dimension to the insanity. IMO the Sam & Max of Hit the road is the only true Sam & Max's, but that's just because that was the first time I heard of Sam & Max. I think all of the voices have their strong and weak sides, but all in all they aren't so far away from each other that I feel "That's not Max!" or "That's not Sam!"
  • edited November 2006
    I must say though... Bosco is definitely Bosco... the voice fits him perfectly.
  • edited November 2006
    elsenator wrote: »
    I disagree. Sam's voice has that classic film noir sound to it, which stands in perfect contrast to Max's caffeine boosted outbursts. I love it how it is.

it always seemed like that was the point. turning off subtitles helped make sam work better for me because, otherwise, i was always reading the end before he got to it.
    but really, having just recently re-watched The Maltese Falcon, i think it would do some of the detractors good to settle in for it and see how a pro delivers lines that long and convoluted without getting winded or lost.

honestly, the dude who does sam pretty much hits its out of the park every chance he gets.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.