The Sam and Max logo

edited November 2011 in Sam & Max
sm_logo.jpg

I was just wondering what happened with the traditional Sam and Max logo? Any particular reason why you guys went with the current typeface? Just curious :)

--Erwin

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I think I remember reading that the new logo that you see in the titles, in the new comic, and on the Desoto is Steve Purcell's design. Their office door has the old one though!

Incidentally I believe Steve was also responsible for making the Desoto convertible.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Correct on both counts. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Udvarnoky, you are so clever! :)
  • edited November 2006
    Until you look up "clever," anyway!
  • edited November 2006
    Pff, what's the use of being clever? I wish I was less smart and more good-looking :D

--Erwin
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    sammax.png

I had to add a pic of the new logo. I need to be able to look at them on the same page so I can see the differences.

Carry on... :)
  • edited November 2006
    Nice logo :) I thought the new logo was only in letters :p
  • edited November 2006
    Me too.. cool!!!
  • edited October 2011
    Erwin wrote: »
    sm_logo.jpg

i can't see it...
  • edited October 2011
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    i can't see it...

Now that is some impressively pointless thread necromancy right there.
  • edited October 2011
    Why would you bump an almost-five-year-old thread, pepsiboy? Why?
  • edited October 2011
    lombre wrote: »
    Now that is some impressively pointless thread necromancy right there.
    but mine says...
    Not Found

The requested URL /sm_logo.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
  • edited October 2011
    That's probably because the thread is five years old and that image likely doesn't exist there anymore.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    The original Sam & Max logo...

SM_logo_blog_Trans_180.gif

Telltale's game logo (also used for the Symbiote statue)...

logo3.png

Why are they different? Because Steve Purcell asked us to use the new one for the games. He started with the font "Motel King" and then hand modified some of the letter shapes to his liking. I think he wanted new Sam & Max to have a slightly different retro feel -- something more 50s-70s cheesy, instead of the older logo which was more 30s-40s cheesy. That's also why we used a lot of fonts from Font Diner in the branding, especially in the first two seasons.
  • edited November 2011
    It's a great accomplishment on you guys' part that I feel a stronger sense of attachment to the newer logo than I do the older one.
  • edited November 2011
    I prefer the original to be honest it more captures the feel of the Sam and Max world.
  • edited November 2011
    So did I at first. I felt Season one got off to a very rocky start and only elevated itself to decent by the end but Season two was brilliant. It was Telltale hitting on all cylinders and, honestly, it surpassed Hit the Road in my mind as the best Sam & Max game.

Devil's Playhouse was a step back from Season two imo but it was still better than Season one.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.