Playbunny or Hotbunny?

edited January 2007 in Sam & Max
In the early renders released a couple of months back, Bosco's magazine rack featured a copy of "Playbunny." But in the released game it's "Hotbunny." Was Telltale afraid of a lawsuit?

This might also explain why Sam's dialogue line describing the magazines cuts out before naming that one.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    I'm not sure why it changed from one to the other. As for the dialogue, though, I think that's a bug -- I think he's supposed to say it, and he says "Playbunny". It's an inconsistency between the art and the voice line.

Never mind, Brendan set the record straight below. :D
  • edited November 2006
    Ho ho ho.

WHat a mishap.

Maybe they can patch it in the next release?

Anyway, I want to see more Playboy stuff in the game.

It was so much fun.
  • BrendanBrendan Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Actually, yes, we changed the magazine for legal reasons. The line that was there had to be cut, and there was no time to re-record.
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    I actually like Hotbunny better. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Brendan wrote: »
    Actually, yes, we changed the magazine for legal reasons. The line that was there had to be cut, and there was no time to re-record.

Oh, so THAT'S why Sam stops talking. Well, it still almost works.
  • edited December 2006
    I think it still works pretty well. Like Max is looking over the rack at the same time, and then interrupts Sam in his excitement upon discovering said magazine.
  • edited January 2007
    You get to hear the whole line in episode 2 though!
  • MelMel
    edited January 2007
    Hoz411 wrote: »
    only in america

No bunny pr0n where you live? :p
  • edited January 2007
    You know, you could use it as a running gag changing the name of the magazine every episode. :)
  • edited January 2007
    legal reasons? Wouldn't parody be ok under fair use?
    plus just using the word Play in a name wouldn't be enough grounds for anything anyway. What about playstation magazine? It uses the name play.
    I think telltale backed down too easily on this issue.
    Not that it made much of a difference in the game but it is the principle of the thing.
  • FloFlo
    edited January 2007
    Well, Playboy already uses a bunny as a trademark, so I guess it's a case of better safe than sorry ;)
  • edited January 2007
    Alucard wrote: »
    legal reasons? Wouldn't parody be ok under fair use?
    plus just using the word Play in a name wouldn't be enough grounds for anything anyway. What about playstation magazine? It uses the name play.
    I think telltale backed down too easily on this issue.
    Not that it made much of a difference in the game but it is the principle of the thing.

Penny Arcade ran into similar problems with the use of Strawberry Shortcake and they had to take the comic strip down.

Parody is not entirely easy thing to do and in this case I guess the use of "play" and "bunny" together is a big no-no since it is a trademark for Playboy. Trademarks are a legal grey zone in most countries.

I just have to add that people who think suing is the coolest thing ever, even for small matters, don't know how much a legal battle costs and how much it can ruin people's lives. Lawyers are really expensive and they have the power to make you become their b****. ;P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.