Translation

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
Hi folks

You know what, I loved Sam&Max in my youth but there a slight problem: I'm french. That's not that bad actually if you like snail and crazy stuff like that :p
Well the purpose of this message was to know if you plan on any translation and more specifically, in such a "romantique langage" as french ;)

Gildas

Comments

• edited November 2006
    You can do a small research on this forum, there is some threads about this ;)
    No plans for the moment ;) but it could happen ;)
  • edited November 2006
    _Gildas_ wrote: »
    Hi folks

You know what, I loved Sam&Max in my youth but there a slight problem: I'm french. That's not that bad actually if you like snail and crazy stuff like that :p
    Well the purpose of this message was to know if you plan on any translation and more specifically, in such a "romantique langage" as french ;)

Gildas

I'm having a real hard time understanding why you would want a French version, since Sam & Max aren't French themselves and therefore, in my opinion, shouldn't be talking the language. You seem to understand and type perfectly good English, so why? I know I'm being a bit straight forward with this, but it really puzzles me why the French and often Germans always want a localized version, when you don't seem to have any problems with the English language. Am i missing something? Oh, and i hope you don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious, i don't wanna be rude or anything. :)
  • edited November 2006
    I think it's just because the language you speak since you were 3 years old is always better than another language you've learned later.
    Honestly, I think I can speak english well enough, but sometimes I don't get some jokes, so I need to take a look at my dictionary and this is a bit humiliating.
    Consider the fact S&M often have complex dialogue lines with a certain philosphical depth, or use slang and words you don't hear often.
    For example:
    thingamabob (I had to ask within this forum what the heck it means);
    "they're mine, not'chos", I got this joke the second time I've heard it:D
  • edited November 2006
    as non-native english speaker I think I might be able answer this question.
    since most of us usually understand the english language, the reason we wish a localized version is - to show it to our friends!

Here in Israel for example, the most successful genre until 1999 was was the adventure genre, and mostly beacuse of the great translations of some AG titles - (Simon , Loom, Discworld, Lost In time, Goblins and more ).
    and mostly because these games became a cultural phenomena among the gamers community.
  • edited November 2006
    By the way, Hit the road and many other adventure games were traduced in the past, and it was perfectly done... french are allergic to foreign language, we got one of the worst level in all europe ^^ it's not only ofor people asking... for example, my sister liked hit the road when she was younger... now, I show her Culture Shock "it seems funny, too bad I don't understand a single line"... and I posted some comments about this game, to make it more known, and I always saw "too bad it's english only" and "will it be translate ?"

As I prefer watching movies in VO, to improve my level, and because translation is adaptation, I prefere adventure games in VO (when it's english of course). But I'm NOT representative of the market ^^

[edit] Well, TheGreyMatter won, he's quicker :P
  • edited November 2006
    Yohmi wrote: »
    By the way, Hit the road and many other adventure games were traduced in the past, and it was perfectly done... french are allergic to foreign language, we got one of the worst level in all europe ^^ it's not only ofor people asking... for example, my sister liked hit the road when she was younger... now, I show her Culture Shock "it seems funny, too bad I don't understand a single line"... and I posted some comments about this game, to make it more known, and I always saw "too bad it's english only" and "will it be translate ?"

As I prefer watching movies in VO, to improve my level, and because translation is adaptation, I prefere adventure games in VO (when it's english of course). But I'm NOT representative of the market ^^

[edit] Well, TheGreyMatter won, he's quicker :P

I quote everything you said, Yohmi. Same thing here, in Italy. :rolleyes:
  • edited November 2006
    I'm french too and as people said before, i'd like a french version of the subtitle (not the voices). Because Sam and Max english is very familiar and I don't understand every jokes. Then english isn't speak by everybody.
    And for elsenator I just want to say that french games are allways translate into other languages (Prince of Persia, Rayman, Syberia and so on...)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.