better way to sell sam and max online

edited December 2006 in Sam & Max
i know there is alot of people out there who hate online download gaming
i did have alot of trouble with getting sam and max to download (sorted now great help them support guys)

would telltale games ever think of trying to get their games on a download program such as Valves Steam?

as i do use steam alot and i just found its easyer and safer to use and you get a nice little ad space on it too.......

just my 2cents

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Could you explain in what Valve Steam makes things easier ? If I remember well, the only change is that I can't have the game unless I install another software (which means if I only want to play Sam&Max, I must first download a software, install it, launch it, and then, by this software, buy a license and download the game and launch it by).

Where am I wrong ? I don't want ads and softwares don't speed-up downloads... even if you use a special software, you must download the game anyway...

So I don't really understand... could you explain ? ^^
  • edited November 2006
    i dont know i just find it easyer to use steam.
    i can just click on the game i put in my credit card or paypal stuff it downloads i can play.

there is no need to download keys, problems with download buttons on webpage. i can use steam on any pc i have and no limit were as now u can only install sam and max on 5 different rigs.

it updates easyer on steam.

it may be just me but i just find steam easyer.
    and i do belive they would sell more of the game if you could buy it off steam.
  • edited November 2006
    I think it could help curb piracy a little. Most of the games on Steam seem to have very little pirated copies, mostly due to the fact that they don't work without it. And if it finds you've got pirated versions on your computer it destroys your account. Permanently. I too find Steam to be oddly easy to use. Plus, with at least a few million people using it, it can't be bad for finding an audience to sell to...
  • edited November 2006
    I think it could help curb piracy a little. Most of the games on Steam seem to have very little pirated copies, mostly due to the fact that they don't work without it. And if it finds you've got pirated versions on your computer it destroys your account. Permanently. I too find Steam to be oddly easy to use. Plus, with at least a few million people using it, it can't be bad for finding an audience to sell to...

good to see i am not alone on the matter never thought of the piracy issue you would be right?

but i guessing telltale games would have to something with valve i would guess...
    still i would love to see sam and max on steam
  • edited November 2006
    Oh hell no. If theres one thing worse than downloading content via regular methods, its Steam.

Steam is an invasion of privacy, I cant believe anyone accepts the way its been forced on them. The only reason they got away with it is cause hl2 was so massive
  • edited November 2006
    Dude, hate to break it to you, but that's pretty much what GameTap is... ;)

Sure, there's differences, but seeing as how GameTap is basically COMPETING with Valve, I'm doubting they'd be happy if Telltale licensed to both of them...
  • edited November 2006
    patchit wrote: »
    Oh hell no. If theres one thing worse than downloading content via regular methods, its Steam.

Steam is an invasion of privacy, I cant believe anyone accepts the way its been forced on them. The only reason they got away with it is cause hl2 was so massive

I originally thought that too. Then I got a decent broadband connection and discovered its not actually that bad. In fact it's quite useful. It quietly updates and downloads your games and has quite a good (if somewhat limited) selection of good games which are usually a bit cheaper than they are in stores. Not trying to wind you up or anything, just putting in an opposing view.
  • edited December 2006
    So, any word from a Telltalegames insider yet? I'd also love to see this game on Steam, because I really don't want to hassle with activating again and emailing support once I've changed my hardware or anything like that.
  • edited December 2006
    I think it's pretty safe to assume they won't release the game via Steam. (Personally, I'm not a fan of Steam at all. Even though it works good since HL2, it's still a bulky piece of software.)

--Erwin
  • edited December 2006
    There seems to be a flood of these threads concerning Valve & Steam.
  • edited December 2006
    You mean two?
  • edited December 2006
    What i've read about GameTap several times is that it's a buggy mess to quite some people. I've no idea if this is true as i'm living in europe and thus i can't use it but also if i could i wouldn't do so, even more after the sucking deal between them and telltalegames.

Steam is a mostly working but not really a nice solution as well. Personally i don't want a client lurking around in the background, trying to connect and update itself to the internet and so on.

I wish developers/publishers would try to develop enjoyable games more and don't loose focus on that there are also honest people around instead of securing and treating customers like criminals in advance.

It's quite enjoyable to got out and buy something like a cup. I don't need to insert any cd so that i can drink out of it. I also don't have to register myself anywhere each time before i can use it. I even am able to drink whatever i want nor am i restricted to drink only in certain countries. Moreover i can give this cup to someone else and let them drink out of it. If i don't like the cup anymore i can easily resell it without any problems and so on.

Contrary to a large part of the soft-bizz this cup for sure is a great deal!
  • edited December 2006
    Can you burn multiple copies of the cup, or are you only allowed to have one copy?
  • edited December 2006
    Yep, but this argument somehow always mandats that the first thing i have in mind is copying the software instead of just playing it after i've bought it which is kind of strange depending on who you are.

I think a software should be treated in a way that it's linked to me as a person and i can deal with it in a normal way plus taking advantage of it's virtual nature. I should be able to use it on different computers or OSs, lean it to a friend for a week or resell it without any troubles.

It's nice to see that a few companies are following such a track.

By the way will a maybe port of Sam&Max to OSX cause additional costs or will i get it for free as a game owner? In other words: Is Sam&Max sold to me as a person or is it sold to my OS?
  • edited December 2006
    taumel wrote: »
    Yep, but this argument somehow always mandats that the first thing i have in mind is copying the software instead of just playing it after i've bought it which is kind of strange depending on who you are.

I don't really think it does mandate that at all--look at console games, which are where most games are sold and have the strictest type of copy-protection for games. You buy it, and the first thing that you can do, and that they expect you to do, is to play it. On the off chance that you decide to try and copy it, it won't let you.
  • edited December 2006
    Oh i wasn't aware that we were talking about console market/games right now but okay let's go into a different market.

I see how this works for games which come on a physical medium but can i take a game i've bought online with me and then play it at my frineds place and his console? Can i also resell such a game easily?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2006
    taumel wrote: »
    By the way will a maybe port of Sam&Max to OSX cause additional costs or will i get it for free as a game owner? In other words: Is Sam&Max sold to me as a person or is it sold to my OS?

Out From Boneville is currently sold separately depending on which OS you purchase it for, so it's likely that Sam & Max would go that way were it to ever appear on a Mac, but no decision has been made at all about how that would work, because it hasn't really been discussed beyond "hey maybe a Mac port would be good." How a game is priced is usually figured out after it's already being worked on.
  • edited December 2006
    Hello Jake,

thanks for answering.

Hmmm for smaller games or games which don't need the latest technology for instance on the gfx side, i nowadays would consider a crossplatform release from scratch. I don't see a point speaking against that a game like Sam&Max couldn't do well on osx too, so it primary comes down to how much work it would be and so to the weapons you've choosen for realising a game and if they support a crossplatform release or if you would be forced to do most of the stuff on your own. Depending on this it could be more or less a no brainer or a drag.

Personally i feel like this:
    Would i pay again for beeing able to play the game on my Mac? Nope
    Would i love to beeing able to play the game on my Mac? Yep

That's what i love about companies like luxology for instance: http://www.luxology.com/whatismodo/userlicensing.aspx
  • edited December 2006
    i can just click on the game i put in my credit card or paypal stuff it downloads i can play.

there is no need to download keys, problems with download buttons on webpage. i can use steam on any pc i have and no limit were as now u can only install sam and max on 5 different rigs.

it updates easyer on steam.

Sounds almost exactly like GameTap to me, except all games are included in one low price.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2006
    Steam is sort of like GameTap, in that Steam is a piece of software to digitally distribute games, but Steam uses a standard retail model instead of a subscription model. If you buy a game on Steam, you ostensibly own it forever, whereas with GameTap, you do get hundreds of games for one low price, but once you stop paying that monthly low price, all of the games are no longer yours to play.
  • edited December 2006
    Steam has it's pros and cons, though I am led to believe Telltale are with Gametap due to the financial support they have given them, not to mention valuable marketing. I have no doubts in my mind that there is a contract involved that would preclude a Steam release.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.