First 'Episode 2' media released!

edited December 2006 in Sam & Max
First 'Episode 2' media released! here. Thanks Emily - the clip sounds amazing!

// Breaks out A Kind of Blue*... //

*Yes, it's more Sax than Trumpet - I'm just referring to the mood!

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Thank Jared! :D
  • edited November 2006
    nice stuff... I also like that sax music. Speaking of which, I play an alto sax myself (though I haven't touched it since high school).
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks Jared - the clip sounds amazing!
  • edited November 2006
    awesome! cheers
  • edited November 2006
    I take it Sam & Max take a visit to the set of a tv show in episode 2 then :p
  • edited November 2006
    Quiet on the set sounds like sam & max are walking the murky streets of dave grossmans mind..or maybe thats just me..
  • edited November 2006
    let me throw some more episode 2 speculation out there.. episode 2 is called "situation: comedy" sam and max visit the set of a sitcom..where cast members have been hypnotized..hilarity ensues ;)
  • edited November 2006
    I am so putting this on a game soundtrack mix cd! [/hyped]
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Hero1 wrote: »
    let me throw some more episode 2 speculation out there.. episode 2 is called "situation: comedy" sam and max visit the set of a sitcom..where cast members have been hypnotized..hilarity ensues ;)

Anyone who saw the end of Episode 1 can probably make at least a stab at an educated guess as to what's going on in Episode 2... :)
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, it's going to be about
    a talk show hostess that's hypnotizing the people on her show. And the new music is probably the ambient music for when Sam & Max visit the TV Studio, given the filename.
  • edited November 2006
    Maybe there will be a puzzle where Sam and Max try to convince somebody that they're supposed to be guests on that talk show.
  • edited November 2006
    I personally hope there'll be more interrogation puzzles, the one in EP1 was classic.
  • edited November 2006
    I think a "wild interrogation hunt" would be fun, where something somebody says from one interrogation will give you verbal ammo for interrogating another person, etc etc.
  • edited November 2006
    And they say there's more episode 2 goodness to follow later this week... I love goodness!
  • edited November 2006
    I think a scene where Max ends up on live TV would be very funny :p
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    This is the first time I've listened to any of these outside of the game. That would make for great party/in the background while you're working listening.

Has it been said whether there will be a separate soundtrack to buy at some point (perhaps I've just missed it)?
  • edited November 2006
    I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and suggest that this is the synopsis for Situation:Comedy:
    Talk show host Myra Stump has gone berzerk! Sam & Max head down to the WARP TV studio to find out why she's holding her audience hostage. But getting onto Myra's stage isn’t going to be easy. First the Freelance Police will have to prove they're worthy of fifteen minutes of fame.
    I just have a feeling that this is it... yes... or maybe everyone should just check out the Sam and Max page, to see if it is true or not.
  • edited November 2006
    Just in case someone hasn't seen them: screenshots! Looks like Jimmy has had a small shaving incident. :D
  • edited November 2006
    Hmmm, is this a familiar looking cow?

ep2_sitcom2.jpg
  • edited November 2006
    That was my only gripe about Culture shock the re-using of models.
    Personally I think it cheapens the experience a bit, but it's great non the less.
  • edited November 2006
    I wonder how they are gonna work a dragon into sam & max :D :D

loved this line from the gameplay video "you've successfully perverted the laws of god and man"
  • edited November 2006
    That line about perverting the laws of god and man had me laughing out loud. If Purcell himself didn't write that line, then my hat's off to the writers for really nailing the tone of the comics with that one.
  • edited November 2006
    Thriftweed wrote: »
    That was my only gripe about Culture shock the re-using of models.
    Personally I think it cheapens the experience a bit, but it's great non the less.

What models (I assume from Bone) were reused in Culture Shock?
  • edited November 2006
    jp-30 wrote: »

the guy in cow race was the silhoutte in the dream analysis office room
  • edited November 2006
    Which guy? From the stalls or from the tavern?
  • edited November 2006
    Heh, cool. I didn't even notice that!

--Erwin
  • edited November 2006
    Yep, that final line is definitely a winner. And while I noticed a change in Max's voice, I didn't think it was a different actor; nice job. I think both their voices sound a little better than they did in Culture Shock already. Sam's pitch sounds a bit higher.
  • edited November 2006
    Am I the only one who thinks Sam's voice sounds even MORE monotone? I like the new Max, though. (not saying I don't like Sam's voice, it just sounds like he's reading nutritional facts off a cereal box) I love the premise, too. I can hardly keep from giggling uncontrollably just IMAGINING what will happen. And the still from the gameplay movie is priceless, with the cheesy grins on their faces. I'm making that my wallpaper immediately. :P
  • edited November 2006
    jp-30 wrote: »

Yeah the guy from Bone was in the dream sequence. Fair enough re-using models from the same game but from another game all together is a bit much.
    The reason this annoys me so much is because I'm a designer who does a lot of Motion work. It would be so easy just to use an audio clip or an animation again for another client, but I try and avoid it because it cheapens the experience for people who have seen the previous work, plus it looks pretty lazy.
    You could argue that having these in there references other TellTale games. For instance having Sam and Max in other Lucasarts games, but for me this doesn't seem the case. It's more like 'we need something to fill up this room quick, hurry we only have a month'
    I have to say I really like the Sam and Max games and this is a minor annoyance, I just wish they would stop doing it.
  • edited November 2006
    Thriftweed wrote: »
    Yeah the guy from Bone was in the dream sequence. Fair enough re-using models from the same game but from another game all together is a bit much.
    The reason this annoys me so much is because I'm a designer who does a lot of Motion work. It would be so easy just to use an audio clip or an animation again for another client, but I try and avoid it because it cheapens the experience for people who have seen the previous work, plus it looks pretty lazy.
    You could argue that having these in there references other TellTale games. For instance having Sam and Max in other Lucasarts games, but for me this doesn't seem the case. It's more like 'we need something to fill up this room quick, hurry we only have a month'
    I have to say I really like the Sam and Max games and this is a minor annoyance, I just wish they would stop doing it.

I don't understand; the other options are

a) design and build a new, kickass character model that takes time away from more important work, or

b) design and build a new, POS character model in an hour.

There's no contest.
  • edited November 2006
    I don't understand; the other options are

a) design and build a new, kickass character model that takes time away from more important work, or

b) design and build a new, POS character model in an hour.

There's no contest.

B. correct. : )
    It really doesn't take that long, it's not as if the models from Sam and Max are ultra detailed. An experienced 3D modeler could knock up a new skin for a cow in no time what so ever. Use the same rigging, just change it a bit.
    I appreciate that they are up against time but I don't think this should be so obviously shown by re-using models.
    I don't want to keep moaning about it, just thought i'd bring it up. Thats what these forums are for. : )
  • edited November 2006
    Fair call; sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2006
    Personally I don't see reusing models as being any different than an actor showing up on more than one TV show, and that happens all the time. ;)
  • edited December 2006
    Just so long as that cow doesn't try to launch a singing career. I hate it when actors do that.
  • edited December 2006
    Just so long as that cow doesn't try to launch a singing career. I hate it when actors do that.

Haha, agreed. :D
  • edited December 2006
    All TT needed to do was show me Sam and Max with the chefs hats. That single image made my day.
  • edited December 2006
    Hi,

in my opinion it's a balancing thing. It cheapens the experience if you know both games. It doesn't matter if you only know Sam&Max and the art of the cow fits into the Sam&Max world. Same with sounds/textures/animations: if you reuse them too often in different games it's getting boring after some time and kills the unique game experience. Comparing it to an actor who shows up isn't such a good argument in my opinion as a real actor isn't an abstraction and provides much more detail and possibilities in real.

Beside of this thanks for the sneak. The music is great!

I like the carpet in the room a lot but whilst i was looking at the screenshots and watching the movie i got the impression that the quality of the scenes is lower than it was in Episode 1 - looked less detailed and attracting to me. Maybe it's due to the scenes but i just wasn't this impressed.
  • edited December 2006
    that albino guy is creepy. You're not trying to work in a Da Vinchi Code joke in there, are you guys?

Also, I raise my glass to you for the Fire Escape sign. Hilarous
  • edited December 2006
    I'll just give an example where reusing something really bugs me:
    Neverwinter Nights 2 Voice Sets

They made the sequel to Neverwinter Nights for several years, yet they reused the exact same voice sets that you can choose from with an added four or five (the original had about 15 or more voice sets I think). It somehow feels really, really cheap. Lazy. Unambitious.

I don't have a problem with the S&M reusing one cow model, though. Just as long as TellTale doesn't get lazy with the new stuff, either.
  • JonJon Former Telltale Staff
    edited December 2006
    As i mentioned in another thread... the cow model is not exactly the same, the geometry was changed and that color cow never showed up in Bone.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.