Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - control and interface discussion thread.

Comments

• [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Diduz wrote: »
    Is the gamepad support on PC limited to the Xbox 360 controller or pretty much every win-compatible joypad is supported?

It should work with any gamepad.

May I control the game entirely through keyboard?

You must use the mouse to select things on the PC.
  • edited March 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    You must use the mouse to select things on the PC.

You mean, if I'm not using a gamepad? (Sorry, I'm dense).
    edited March 2010
    You mean, if I'm not using a gamepad? (Sorry, I'm dense).

Yes. There is no keyboard-only control method on PC. If you are not using a gamepad, then you must use keyboard+mouse.
  • edited March 2010
    Yes. There is no keyboard-only control method on PC. If you are not using a gamepad, then you must use keyboard+mouse.

Okay, that shouldn't be an issue if (almost) any gamepad is supported.
    BTW, thanks Yare for your work on this! I was expecting a gamepad-only support in ToMI, I'm glad you put it back. I prefer joypad to mouse or keyboard when direct control is required. :)
    edited March 2010
    My pleasure.
  • edited March 2010
    My pleasure.

Just so you know, you haven't been doing justice to your title of Crusher of Hope lately.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm a fan of the "Click'n'drag" only-mouse-method used in TOMI. Really. :)
    I tried some other point'n'click adventures and I missed it, and everytime I want to drag the character instead of continuosly clicking near the edge of the screen and minor annoyances.:p

Will "Click'n'drag" still be there in Season 3?
  • edited March 2010

Yes.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Yes.

whoops, i missed the quote on the first page, sorry guys! :P
  • edited March 2010
    I think the most important and obvious question that nobody seems to have asked is what kind of pie is that?

http://files.telltalegames.com/samandmax/thedevilsplayhouse/sm301_dialogue.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    Hmmm, there was highlighting in ToMI? I know it was in W&G because I played ToMI before and pressed Caps Lock all the time trying to open my inventory, but I never found it in ToMI (and yes, graphics are turned up high enough).

Overall, it looks good. Don't really mind using WASD (click-and-drag is just a drag though IMO). Not looking that forward to the conversation system though, prefer the full lines because I find with this system what I expect when I click something pretty much never turns out being said. And as mentioned before, it seems to really hamper on the comedy element of conversations, with "fake" answers, or just obviously hilariously stupid responses that you now can now longer identify amongst the 'normal ones'. And I doubt all conversations allow you to fully exploit ALL branches (that would be a step back!) which to me looks like conversations will take a step back in the comedy element by design. Hope I get proved wrong though...
  • edited March 2010
    I'm a fan of the "Click'n'drag" only-mouse-method used in TOMI. Really. :)
    I tried some other point'n'click adventures and I missed it, and everytime I want to drag the character instead of continuosly clicking near the edge of the screen and minor annoyances.:p

*Clings on to you*

Please don't leave me.
    It's quite lonely in the pro-click'n'drag room.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    I like it too. Between click and drag, and middle-click to open inventory, I play all TTG games with mouse only and don't think about it.

I know that not everyone is a click and drag fan, but I enjoy it plenty, and like you, try to use it in other games at this point. I got used to it pretty quick and don't think about it now.
  • edited March 2010
    will there be in the future any wii version of the games?
  • edited March 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    I like it too. Between click and drag, and middle-click to open inventory, I play all TTG games with mouse only and don't think about it.

I know that not everyone is a click and drag fan, but I enjoy it plenty, and like you, try to use it in other games at this point. I got used to it pretty quick and don't think about it now.

Add me to the click and drag brigade.. It took me about 15 minutes to get used to at the start of ToMI episode 1 and then I completely forgot about it...
  • edited March 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »
    Did you guys ever consider WASD, like, at all?
    It's not like its "Click and Drag or DIE!!!!!!"

Just sayin

i'm going to play WASD, but i don't like it either. I like my adventures to be point & click. shooters are generally the only games that i play with both mouse and keyboard, except when mouse only controls don't work out so well in the game in question.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I am really glad that there's C&D. I found it to be the most convenient option in ToMI and now I miss it in the earlier games as well.
  • edited March 2010
    I use Click & Drag interchangeably with WASD+Mouse, and I rarely really notice the switch unless one of the control methods was being finicky.

Still, I may get a gamepad in early April, and give that option a shot. Something seems wrong about that, though.
  • edited March 2010
    Excuse me Mr. Yare, but is there any chance of future Telltale games officially supporting Xbox 360 gamepads on PC? You know, with all the fancy on screen buttons and things?

The only games I've played so far that have done so are Wolfenstein and Champions Online.
  • edited March 2010
    I find that a little odd.
    If you want to play with a x-box 360 controller, why play on your PC, not your x-box?
  • edited March 2010
    All this talk about WASD reminds me of one of my favorite adventure game lines of all time:
    wasding.jpg

Oh, and personally, I would've liked the click and drag controls if it weren't so awkward. I have no problems with WASDing except that I can't play and eat at the same time. And that's mighty important to me.
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm ... you know what? I'm gonna give click-and-drag another shot. For me it could be a matter of getting used to the controls, and how will I know for sure if I don't give them more time? It's worth a try.
    I find that a little odd.
    If you want to play with a x-box 360 controller, why play on your PC, not your x-box?

For those who don't have an Xbox, a controller is cheaper than a console. ;) And even for those who do, why not? Especially since a) The Devil's Playhouse isn't coming out on XBLA this go-around, and b) the Xbox 360 controller is incredibly comfortable to use (at least in my experience).
  • edited March 2010
    Well, a x-box is cheaper than a PC matching the specifications, but of course you can do other stuff on it besides games, so there's that.

And good point on S&M3 not coming for X-box (yet).
  • edited March 2010
    I love Telltale and Sam & Max and everything, but I'm really disliking the recent drop of point-and-click controls to make way for click-and-drag, or WASD, or whatever, and was very disappointed as I was expecting the point-and-click controls to return. It just feels completely arbitrary to me, I mean, what's really the difference?
  • edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Excuse me Mr. Yare, but is there any chance of future Telltale games officially supporting Xbox 360 gamepads on PC? You know, with all the fancy on screen buttons and things?
    You can plug in a gamepad and it'll work with the new PS3 control system. That's how most people in the studio play the game, with a wired Xbox 360 controller. Yare put a good bit of effort into making the mouse-and-keyboard and gamepad controls cooperate with each other.
  • edited March 2010
    Chuck wrote: »
    You can plug in a gamepad and it'll work with the new PS3 control system. That's how most people in the studio play the game, with a wired Xbox 360 controller. Yare put a good bit of effort into making the mouse-and-keyboard and gamepad controls cooperate with each other.

That's great to hear. One more question -- I know there's a driver for folks (like me) who want to use the wired Xbox controller with OSX. Is there any reason the Devil's Playhouse gamepad controls shouldn't work as well on a Mac as it would in Windows?
  • edited March 2010
    That's great to hear. One more question -- I know there's a driver for folks (like me) who want to use the wired Xbox controller with OSX. Is there any reason the Devil's Playhouse gamepad controls shouldn't work as well on a Mac as it would in Windows?
    I haven't tried it, but if the driver maps the controls on OS X the same as it does under Windows, then it might work.

Remember that the controller stuff is going to be in the "not officially supported" territory by Telltale, especially if you're using non-Microsoft drivers for an Xbox 360 gamepad.
  • edited March 2010
    Gotcha. I'll mull this over some more. Especially since the PSN version of the game is about the same price as a new wired controller anyway. :)

Thanks for the quick reply!
  • edited March 2010
    So, that's WASD, arrow keys, numpad, Click&Drag, gamepad... Any other option I'm forgetting?
    Brainstick? :D
  • edited March 2010
    I'm not a fan of click and drag. Why not just have the ability to click/move where possible, and if thats not possible in certain scenes, the user can use WASD or click/drag as a backup.
  • edited March 2010
    Yare put a good bit of effort into making the mouse-and-keyboard and gamepad controls cooperate with each other.

Thanks Yare!
  • edited March 2010

Thanks for the answer, but I was also wondering if the on screen display would reflect the appropriate buttons to hit for different actions for a 360 controller, as it does on the PSN version of the game. (X to talk to, Y to use item, etc.)
    edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer, but I was also wondering if the on screen display would reflect the appropriate buttons to hit for different actions for a 360 controller, as it does on the PSN version of the game. (X to talk to, Y to use item, etc.)

Right now it shows PSN buttons. Jake and I are working on getting it to show appropriate controller buttons on PC but I don't know what the final form will look like.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Yare!

Haha, don't thank me yet. Also... Chuck, Jake and I all had input on the interface and controls.
  • edited March 2010
    Haha, don't thank me yet. Also... Chuck, Jake and I all had input on the interface and controls.

Well, if I don't get my hopes up high, how are you going to crush them?
    Thanks as well, Chuck and Jake. I guess if I dislike the control I'll have to come down on you equally.
  • edited March 2010
    Remember that the controller stuff is going to be in the "not officially supported" territory by Telltale, especially if you're using non-Microsoft drivers for an Xbox 360 gamepad.

Not officially supported? Weird...thought you guys had been promoting gamepads as the best "feeling" control method?
  • edited March 2010
    JJoyce wrote: »
    Not officially supported? Weird...thought you guys had been promoting gamepads as the best "feeling" control method?
    They don't make the gamepads, so that's generally an issue for the gamepad manufacturer. It's less "We don't like it" as it is "we can't really control what gamepad companies do with their drivers and hardware".
  • edited March 2010
    Right now it shows PSN buttons. Jake and I are working on getting it to show appropriate controller buttons on PC but I don't know what the final form will look like.

:winslow:
  • edited March 2010
    I could be fun to know what these limitations and requirements, that you dont wanna work within / under are, because its kinda funny consindering, as far as i know Telltale is the only company in the entire Point and Click, now Draaaag Qeennn click. that have problems?.

It would still be nice if there was one man that had the nerves to just tell us the truth, you know what, we are lazy, we support consoles, we like consoles, we dont like the pc and mouse and keyboard so much, thats what we make you WASD, because it less work for us, and easier when porting, yes you get label as lazy and consolification, but still truth above all :)
  • edited March 2010
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    It would still be nice if there was one man that had the nerves to just tell us the truth
    Have you considered that they're already telling the truth?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.