Bone Director's Cut discussion

edited December 2006 in Bone
Ha, wow, that new introductory scene will cut out some of the exposition from the later books. So what do you guys think of the updated Bone games? I'd love to hear how fellow Bone fans think it improves/ruins everything! :)

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Downloading now... the release seemed kind of under-the-radar; didn't notice it until you mentioned it.
  • edited November 2006
    What? It's up? Gah, I'll download it tomorrow.

And where's th' Moje news update, Udvarnoky? Ya slacker!
  • edited November 2006
    Oh yeah baby! It's out!!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    numble wrote: »
    Downloading now... the release seemed kind of under-the-radar; didn't notice it until you mentioned it.

Yeah, well... timing's a bitch. We'll be making a bigger announcement, but Sam & Max ep2 is being announced today also and we didn't want the news to get swallowed up by that.
  • edited November 2006
    Hi Emily,

Does the Bone Download Bundle include the game on CD with extras, etc. or is that only available with the 'deluxe' versions of the games? Also, are the deluxe versions the same as the new 'Director's Cut' versions?
    edited November 2006
    The download bundle is downloads only. It doesn't include the CDs.

The CD versions will have the director's cut games on them, yes. The CDs are backordered until mid-January (we have to make them first!)... you can order them now but they won't ship until then. We are going to hold off on offering a CD bundle until we get closer to a CD release date.
  • edited November 2006
    Got it! Thank you very much.
  • edited November 2006
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    I'd love to hear how fellow Bone fans think it improves/ruins everything! :)

Well, I've only read OFB, and played OFB and GCR - and I really appreciate the new opening scene. It gives the story a sense of scope right from the outset.

And also lends some extra intrigue as to why Phoney is being targeted, as one expects the hero to be Fone.
  • edited November 2006
    I like the scene. One of the charms of the comic though was that it just kind of threw you into this seemingly simplistic story which gradually became unexpectedly deeper as the books go on. Now it's epic and intimidating right off the bat. It's healthy though that Telltale isn't sticking religiously to the comics (especially when they've got Jeff Smith as a resource). I can see how the cutscene helps because in the middle of the comics there's a somewhat jarring amount of explaining and backstory that would probably be even more jarring in game form, so it's probably good to get some of that out the way. Kinda wish it hadn't been narrated though.
  • edited November 2006
    Now I'm confused. If I've already downloaded the new Bone versions (with various resolution options) which came out around the release of Sam & Max - these are different again?
  • edited November 2006
    Downloading now!
    I just wanted to say that I am sold: I LOVE online episodic distribution. Despite the drawbacks, this re-release easily tipped the balance for me!
    Congratulations Telltale. Keep-up the good work!
    edited November 2006
    Now I'm confused. If I've already downloaded the new Bone versions (with various resolution options) which came out around the release of Sam & Max - these are different again?

Yes, these are the "director's cut" versions. The ones we released when the new website went up had to be taken down soon after Sam & Max's release because we found some bugs. Rather than patch those up we just held off until the director's cuts, which we were already working on, were finished.

You can keep playing the versions you have if you haven't run into any problems with them, but the new versions have some enhancements that those versions don't have, like the new Thorn model/voice and opening cutscene in Out from Boneville, and some new lines that were added in both games to help flesh out the overall story.

We'll have a guest blog by Jeff Smith in a few days that will illuminate some of the changes that were made and the reasoning behind them.
  • edited November 2006
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Ha, wow, that new introductory scene will cut out some of the exposition from the later books. So what do you guys think of the updated Bone games? I'd love to hear how fellow Bone fans think it improves/ruins everything! :)

I can't really be called a Bone fan yet, because I've never read the comics. I played Bone 1 & 2, though, and I'm a little against the new introduction, because I liked how Bone 1 starts so simple. The clues that there's a bigger story were very sparse and even when I finished Bone 2, I had a very vague idea of the deepness of the story, but was still pretty sure that the story is simple.

I later read by accident on the forum someone mentioning that the story becomes much deeper, and I felt like I read a spoiler. Now, the spoiler is built-in, right at the beginning of Bone 1 :) It's great that the story starts simple and gradually becomes deep later on, without the player having any idea.

Oh, well. But it's not that big a deal I guess. The new introduction is nice.
  • edited December 2006
    Just a clarification - my "grumps" were just about the new introduction, and they are very minor - visually, the introduction is great and I really can't wait for the next Bone episodes to know how the story continues!!

Also, these director's cut versions are awesome! Can't wait to play them... (as soon as I get a reply from tech support regarding my password)
  • edited December 2006
    What happens in the new intro that spoils things?

(I've read all the comics so it's no spoiler to me)
  • edited December 2006
    it was pretty cool!
    the game itself was a bit short tho, downloaded both yesterday and finished both last night. Guess i would like the whole game in one instead of episodes.
    But it was pretty fun! oh and btw there is an error in the great cow race, when your to get the cow back and that bee appears. One of the dialouges couses the game to freeze up.

Anyhow, as it was a game i never tried before, it was pretty cool to get that monkey island feeling where i could'nt stop until i've done it all.
    edited December 2006
    phonebone wrote: »
    oh and btw there is an error in the great cow race, when your to get the cow back and that bee appears. One of the dialouges couses the game to freeze up.

What dialogue? Was it a consistent problem?
  • edited December 2006
    xChri5x wrote: »
    What happens in the new intro that spoils things?

(I've read all the comics so it's no spoiler to me)

It doesn't really spoil anything. It just sets some things up earlier than the comics did. Download it and check it out.
  • edited December 2006
    Emily wrote: »
    What dialogue? Was it a consistent problem?

I experienced this problem as well. It was during the dialogue with the big bee when you are trying to retrieve the cart after the race. When I selected the option about my cousin being in big trouble, the bee gave his response and it stayed on the screen even after going back to my options. It wouldn't let me pick anything. All I could do was quit and reload. Once I replayed back to that point, I saved right before and tried it several times and always got the same result. It seemed to be limited to that one option, so as long as I didn't pick it, I was fine.

I have attached a screenshot so you can see exactly what it did.
  • edited December 2006
    I experienced this problem as well. It was during the dialogue with the big bee when you are trying to retrieve the cart after the race. When I selected the option about my cousin being in big trouble, the bee gave his response and it stayed on the screen even after going back to my options. It wouldn't let me pick anything. All I could do was quit and reload. Once I replayed back to that point, I saved right before and tried it several times and always got the same result. It seemed to be limited to that one option, so as long as I didn't pick it, I was fine.

I was going to post about it right now, before reading your post I thought I couldn't get past this point, but yes, you can choose another option to continue. Thank you :)
  • edited December 2006
    There's some problems with the new "Director's Cut" of 'Out from Boneville'. It seems to me to be suffering from "over thinking" for starters. A prime example is after the new intro (which is taken from 'Rose', incidentally, not the original Bone series): We briefly hear Smiley Bone playing his banjo and annoying Phoney Bone, followed (very quickly) by Smiley Bone saying "The coast is clear!".

This scene has always implied that the Bone brothers have only just decided they've escaped from their tormentors from Boneville (in the original comic, too), but before this, Smiley Bone stops, picks up his banjo, and starts playing a song. It doesn't make sense, it doesn't flow (it actually jars a bit) and the only reason it has been added is to make an already logical and easy to follow puzzle, even more logical and easy to follow (ie. it's unnecessary).

The new Thorn actress can't act and sounds too young. I don't care if it was Jeff Smith's request that she be made to sound younger, sometimes the artist doesn't know what's best for his art (Greedo shoots first, anyone?), but even if she had to be made younger, you could have gotten someone who actually knows which words to stress.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I found the original direction of the Bone games to be spot on, and I'm obviously in a minority who think it's gotten worse. I can't even play through the Great Cowrace demo, because Thorn's voice acting is that bad and, to my mind, doesn't suit the character either.

I guess the new Bone just isn't for me :(

At least I can still enjoy Sam & Max!
  • edited December 2006

I ran into the same problem, I figured a workaround--go into options and turn the subtitles off. It worked "okay" from there, but the bee was halfway into the floor for the rest of the scene.
  • MelMel
    edited December 2006
    I had never heard of the comics before the games were announced :o (and I haven't read them yet). The thing I'm enjoying about the Bone games is watching the story unfold. I'll probably read them after.

I haven't seen the new cut scene yet but I know the first time I played it having never read the comics:
    I was confused by Thorn's dream (I'm pretty sure that was in Out From Boneville).
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2006
    sometimes the artist doesn't know what's best for his art

This is news to me. Who should be the one to judge what is best for a person's art?
  • edited December 2006
    Squinky wrote: »
    This is news to me. Who should be the one to judge what is best for a person's art?

For some reason, your comment reminds me of Wacky Delly.
  • edited December 2006
    Johnny Walker is! Huzzah! :D
  • MelMel
    edited December 2006
    I remember when I first heard Thorn, her voice didn't work for me either. I asked about it at the Telltale developer chat in April of this year:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=14370

I've since played both games and it'll be interesting to replay the director's cut of Out From Boneville to see how Bridget Mendler sounds (before I make any judgements :)). Her voice didn't bother me when I played all of The Great Cow Race.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2006
    numble wrote: »
    For some reason, your comment reminds me of Wacky Delly.

I love that episode. :)
  • edited December 2006

Gee, I dunno, the audience? Who else judges art? Are you seriously telling me that all artists always do the best thing for their art? (Note that I said sometimes an artist doesn't always know what's best for their art.) Are you saying that all art, being created by an artist, is therefore always great? I think not!

If Dave Grossman decided to do another "director's cut" of the first two Bone games, but this time voice all the characters himself, would that be good, just because he's "the artist"?

The example I cited (George Lucas going back to the original Star Wars and digitally manipulating the image so that Greedo shoots and misses Han Solo from two feet away) is probably the most popular example of an artist doing something which has been considered detrimental to their work, but there's lots of other examples to chose from.

The artist might be the god of their creation, but that doesn't mean they're always right! :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.