Sam and max horrible lag on Mac

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
Hello for some reason I'm getting some awful lag when playing the penal Zone. I'm on the lowest graphical settings but the game doesn't speed up.

I'm using a standard Macbook that I got a year ago while running snow leopard

Comments

• edited April 2010
    It runs at about 2 frames per second at the lowest settings on my 2007 Macbook. What model do you use?
  • edited April 2010
    Frown wrote: »
    It runs at about 2 frames per second at the lowest settings on my 2007 Macbook. What model do you use?

that's not the best encouragement
  • edited April 2010
    First this... then the Sam and Max steam items.

This is the worst release of my life:eek:
  • edited April 2010
    Frown wrote: »

Alright I did something that seemed to work. I disabled full screen then turned it back on. Now everything is running smoothly!:confused::D
  • edited April 2010
    I'm not having that issue on my 2008 17" MBP (with 256MB 8600M GT). But it's pretty annoyingly slow, even at low graphics settings. Seems like the worst parts are horrible lags/jumps when it goes to read from disk. Dramatically slower than in Windows.

I had similar problems with TOMI. Any time it needs to load something, it takes about 3-4 times as long as it does on the same hardware in Windows. I have tons of free RAM - it's not, say, a memory swapping problem.

That's in addition to the fact that it's generally much slower graphically than in Windows. In Windows I can play on level 9 - in Mac OS I have to play on level 5 or 6 before it plays acceptably, and even then it lags and jumps so often that it really kills the fun.

I applaud Telltale putting out a native Mac port, but I'm probably going to have to play this in Windows. But if this keeps up I probably will start losing interest in playing the games (I hate rebooting to play a game).
  • edited April 2010
    And strangely/sadly it's actually smoother when I run the Windows version of the game on the Mac in VMware (which is translating directX to OpenGL, among other things). At least at quality level 5.

Most noticeable is the lack of lags and jitter when the game goes to hit the disk. But graphics rendering is maybe 20% faster as well.

It's not slow enough that it feels like something is BROKEN. But it's pretty slow, and it seems obvious that the port is doing some stuff pretty inefficiently...
  • edited April 2010
    Works fine on my 2009 13" MacBook Pro (Settings: 5). Had no problems playing and recording a screencast with Screenflow at the same time.
  • edited April 2010
    It's because you are likely using a Macbook with Intel integrated graphics, which are terrible. Sorry dude.
  • edited April 2010
    Strangely enough, my problems are more or less gone. So far.

After I quit and reloaded the game for the third time, things were magically much faster. The disk access slowness is gone (is similar to Windows). The periodic jumps and lags I was seeing are, for the most part, also gone. I even rebooted to try to force everything out of memory cache and loaded up a bunch of stuff to chew up memory, but it still performs pretty well.

So...weird. Some sort of temporary problem just with my system (though I didn't really do anything between point where it was slow/jerky to the point where it's okay)? I'm sure PART of the problem was that it was worst for me at the beginning of the game, where there's a lot more going on. But that's not the ENTIRE problem for sure.

Also, I had the problem where switching between windowed and full screen caused it to slow down a lot, and switching again resolved it. I had that issue with ToMI as well.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.