Yog Soggoth

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
The alien brain kept repeating the name 'Yog Soggoth'. I started googling it, and I found this.

Any connections? Or was it too obvious and I was just too slow to notice it?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    The brain and Skun-ka'pe also refer to the future vision toy as the Eyes of Yog-Sogoth, so yes that would be a strong connection. Good find.
  • edited April 2010
    It was an All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self — not merely a thing of one Space-Time continuum, but allied to the ultimate animating essence of existence's whole unbounded sweep — the last, utter sweep which has no confines and which outreaches fancy and mathematics alike. It was perhaps that which certain secret cults of earth have whispered of as YOG-SOTHOTH, and which has been a deity under other names; that which the crustaceans of Yuggoth worship as the Beyond-One, and which the vaporous brains of the spiral nebulae know by an untranslatable Sign...

Tell me THAT doesn't sound like what the narrator would say.
  • PsyPsy
    edited April 2010
    Lovecraft is pretty awesome.
  • TorTor
    edited April 2010
    Be careful not to dig too deeply, who knows what ancient horrors you might awaken...
    220px-Cthulhu_and_R%27lyeh.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure the Lovecraftian reference is intended. The name of the last episode on the Devil's Playhouse site "The City That Dares Not Sleep" makes me think of R'lyeh.

Anyone else having happy little visions of Max as Cthulhu? Because I am, and it is awesome.
  • edited April 2010
    Tor wrote: »
    Be careful not to dig too deeply, who knows what ancient horrors you might awaken...

Aww, he's not a horror, he's downright cute!
  • TorTor
    edited April 2010
    Aww, he's not a horror, he's downright cute!
    Tee hee, on the "customer action shots" page, someone put one of them next to Lovecraft's gravestone!
  • edited April 2010
    Psy wrote: »

Only if you're Aquaman.
  • edited April 2010
    They do mention "Eldritch Gods".
  • edited April 2010
    Psy wrote: »

My one true aspiration.

No, not being ridden by Aquaman.
  • edited April 2010
    The final image in the trailer for the game of Episode 5 is obviously a Lovecraftian monster. I think the final episode will have a ton of tie-ins to Lovecraft, which makes me pretty happy. If there's one thing I never thought I'd get to see for real, it's a Lovecraft and Sam and Max crossover.
  • edited April 2010
    Where is Mankirks wife?
  • edited April 2010
    The final image in the trailer for the game of Episode 5 is obviously a Lovecraftian monster. I think the final episode will have a ton of tie-ins to Lovecraft, which makes me pretty happy. If there's one thing I never thought I'd get to see for real, it's a Lovecraft and Sam and Max crossover.

What image?
  • edited April 2010
    The more Lovecraft references and integrations from his world, a happier me there is. To have such "crossover" in a game - in a Telltale Point&Click adventure game - I dare not hope! :D
  • edited April 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    What image?

1:51 in this video.
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder if the reason for it being here may have to do with Quake...
  • edited April 2010
    Where is Mankirks wife?

She's with Chuck Norris.
  • edited April 2010

So wait, are you saying that this Sam & Max game is all about Lovecraft and his Cthulhu stories? Sweet; lets bring on the Old Ones!
    tredlow wrote: »
    What image?

episode5.png
  • edited April 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    So wait, are you saying that this Sam & Max game is all about Lovecraft and his Cthulhu stories? Sweet; lets bring on the Old Ones!

episode5.png

Max is gonna hit the button...twice.
  • edited April 2010
    The name reminded me of the Yogg-Saron boss in World of Warcraft actually.
  • edited May 2010
    Does anyone have any thoughts about Yog-Soggoth now that we've seen The Tomb of Sammun Mak?
    Klishu wrote: »
    The name reminded me of the Yogg-Saron boss in World of Warcraft actually.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Yog-Soggoth is where the name for the boss came from.

I was thinking more about it and thought of something. Yog-Soggoth is, according to the wikipedia article:

"is an Outer God and is coterminous (I had to look it up) with all time and space yet is supposedly locked outside of the universe we inhabit"

So, if we follow that same logic.:
    Who's locked outside the universe of Sam & Max?

You, me, and...

THE NARRATOR! :eek:
  • edited May 2010
    I actually hope more than just Yog-Soggoth are the villains. I want more Elder Gods, I want Chtulu! I WANT HASTUR!

yes, that Hastur, don't make me say it again
  • edited May 2010
    Flammarion wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Lovecraftian reference is intended. The name of the last episode on the Devil's Playhouse site "The City That Dares Not Sleep" makes me think of R'lyeh.

That would be a horrific, yet cool twist on New York's nickname of "The City that Never Sleeps"
  • edited May 2010
    Ive now seen pictures of a lot of his creatures... a bunch of them have tentacles, that picture could be anyone, but probaby Yog-Soggoth
Sign in to comment in this discussion.