Sam & Max the animated series DVD

edited June 2011 in Sam & Max
I think I did this question somewhere earlier, but now I can't find the answer.

Does the Sam & Max animated series DVD have subtitles? Not even translations, but just English subtitles?
I think the answer was no, the DVD hasn't no subtitles at all, but I want to be sure.
I don't want to buy it if I won't be able to understand it. My English comprehension so far doesn't allow me to understand some spoken stuff (specially when it's fast spoken and using slang, as Sam & Max is) without subtitles.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I just checked my disc, and unfortunately there's no subtitle option. :(

Honestly though, you're not missing much because aside from the one episode based on the comic, the show isn't really that good.
  • edited May 2010
    Honestly though, you're not missing much because aside from the one episode based on the comic, the show isn't really that good.

Speak for yourself!
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, the lack of subtitles is a shame. There's a few lines of dialogue even this native English speaker would like the extra help with. :o

Well, to be fair, the show seems to draw a lot of mixed reactions. (Exhibit A: See post above mine. ;)) Some love it, some don't like it all. I fall somewhere in the middle: it's a mixed bag, but there's enough good -- even outstanding -- qualities to make it worthwhile overall. For better or for worse, I find the cartoon hard to outright recommend or dismiss. It's the kind of show someone has to see for him or herself to decide -- largely because it (arguably) departs more from the comics than any of the non-comic incarnations of Sam & Max thus far.
  • edited May 2010
    I like it... a lot.

But yeah, do miss quite a few gags being hard-of-hearing and no subtitles :(.
  • edited May 2010
    I like the animated series, I don't see why people criticise it. It's not as good as the comic or the game but few things are.
  • edited May 2010
    I just started watching it and I have to say while Max seems to have a great voice, I am having a hard time adjusting to Sam having such a deep voice.
  • edited May 2010
    Anyone know if it had closet captions?q
  • edited May 2010
    No it hasn't. I bougth it and no subtitles or captions. A pity because english is not my native language and I need subtitles... Someone hates the non-english or the deaf people..
  • edited May 2010
    Megaace wrote: »
    Someone hates the non-english or the deaf people..

Um. No.
  • edited May 2010
    Somebody didn't consider that non English speakers and people with hearing problems might want to enjoy the DVD as well.
  • edited May 2010
    You know, someone probably does hate non-English speakers and the deaf. Somewhere.
    I doubt they had anything to do with the DVDs though.

(And yeah, I can't follow the episodes either, sadly).
  • edited May 2010
    Maybe someone should transcribe the episodes. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.
  • edited May 2010
    funny you say that because I already started doing it.
  • edited May 2010
    I can understand like the 60 or 70% of the dialog. And I can follow almost with no problem. In fact, it's most of Sam phrases I can't understand completly. (And doesn't help I almost know by heart "That Darn Aligator").

To be fair, I brought the DVDs for the cover art.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    (And yeah, I can't follow the episodes either, sadly).

I still can't imagine that someone who writes so perfectly on a forum has trouble understanding the English spoken language.
    It just doesn't compute...
  • edited May 2010
    Joop wrote: »
    I still can't imagine that someone who writes so perfectly on a forum has trouble understanding the English spoken language.

That's simple, in fact: Mostly because you can be really good at write, but has almost no training in the spoken part, because those are different. Really.
  • edited May 2010
    Or (like me) she's just having a hard time hearing human voices. Especially when drowned by music and soundeffects which are getting the priority. It's not uncommon for me to not even understand certain lines in Dutch movies because of that, it doesn't really have anything to do with the language...
  • edited May 2010
    I don't mind the Sam and Max cartoon too much, I just don't like it all the time. Some episodes are gems, and ultimately it's harmless. I'd be more upset if, for example, The Geek and various Animated Series-isms ended up in the Telltale seasons, but since it doesn't really harm anything outside of itself the show can continue to exist with my blessing.
  • edited May 2010
    yeah, I can't stand the Geek. She's just so up-herself.
  • edited May 2010
    I do not like those slim cases that the series came with I much prefer a 3 dvd regular size case.... I made a cover to go in it that is inspired by the TTG Sam and Max season one cover.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4161/toono.jpg
    toono.th.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    hey, that's pretty cool. but I like the box art, like on the box, not the slip covers. but still, nice!
  • edited May 2010
    Joop wrote: »

It makes a lot of sense when you learned a language by reading books in it and using the Internet. Also, French and English are pretty close when you look at them, but pronounced very differently.
    My father is a very good example of that. He reads books in English, writes in English without a problem, but just a few years ago I heard him talk and for instance he pronounced the word "dead" as "deed", and other things like that, that are pretty big mistakes.
    There is also still a very big number of words that I have only seen written and never heard spoken. It was only recently that someone pronounced the word "leopard" and that I said I didn't know that word, until from their explanation (it's a big cat with spots, etc), I got what they meant. In my head I had always pronounced it "lee-oh-pard" and certainly not "lepperd".

When I moved to Canada, I started being able to understand some people perfectly. But I also realised that everyone speaks differently. I never noticed in French, probably because it's my first language, but basically I have to learn how everyone speaks, even from the same family. When I first hear them I rarely understand them, it's like every person has their own very specific accent and their own intonations that take time getting used to.

Plus, in the Sam & Maw series, they speak very fast.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, and a lot of Sam and Max's speech are slurred and garbled. I actually may need some second opinions on some lines...
  • edited May 2010
    hey, that's pretty cool. but I like the box art, like on the box, not the slip covers. but still, nice!

Yeah I still utilize the slip case I just put the new 3disc dvd case in there instead of the two separate slim cases..
  • edited May 2010
    This reminds me of that thread in 2007 where Laserschwert did a slip cover for Sam & Max Hit the Road. Yeah. This one. Not that I was around here in 2007.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    But I also realised that everyone speaks differently. I never noticed in French, probably because it's my first language, but basically I have to learn how everyone speaks, even from the same family. When I first hear them I rarely understand them, it's like every person has their own very specific accent and their own intonations that take time getting used to.

This doesn't apply to other languages? [or, at least French, for that matter? Oh, apparently not.]

I'm also really surprised to learn that your listening comprehension isn't great, because of your writing, but it makes sense. Also explains why you're so strict about grammar, lol. :)

I've tried to keep from using words like 'kinda, wanna, dunno, sorta' and stuff like that on these forums as to not confuse people, but I can't help it sometimes. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Dang I can here everything perfectly(I also complain about sams voice but his voice changes with every media so oh well)
    Also, i like the series. Mainly because im shocked at how much they can get away with(christmas bloody christmas when max drops the soap especialy)
  • edited May 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Dang, I can hear everything perfectly (I also complain about Sam's voice but his voice changes with every media so oh well)
    Also, i like the series. Mainly because I'm shocked at how much they can get away with (christmas bloody christmas when max drops the soap especially)
    Yeah, but it reduces your typing skill apparently ;).
    (And I am not even native-english!)
  • edited November 2010
    heres a full image:
    toono.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, but it reduces your typing skill apparently ;).
    (And I am not even native-english!)
    Heh I usually type really fast and don't notice errors.
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    heres a full image:
    photo removed

HOLY CRAP! Seriously that huge!!?
    You really just dropped your whole "Im just a boy who doesnt know what copyright is" phase and jumped right into "Im going to make a living virtual hell out of whatever I post" phase.
  • edited November 2010
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    heres a full image:
    Snip

Seriously? if anyone really wants the full size image,
    They click the link.
    I assume the majority of people on the forums knows how to do that.
    I feel as though you have insulted my intelligence.
  • edited November 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »

He does that to everyone.
  • edited November 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    Seriously? if anyone really wants the full size image,
    They click the link.
    I assume the majority of people on the forums knows how to do that.

Plus the picture I SO LARGE!!!!! what the crap man.
    I honestly think telltale should ban pepsiboy, he is just trolling now.
  • OMAOMA
    edited February 2011
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    funny you say that because I already started doing it.

Giant Tope, did you finally transcribe any of the episodes?
  • edited February 2011
    OMA wrote: »
    Giant Tope, did you finally transcribe any of the episodes?

Those scripts may help Sam and Max fans out... particularly yours truly. If I ever decide to do an abridged series based on the cartoon series (like I'm doing with the current one), I could take one look at the script for guidance!

Please, pwetty pweease with sugar on top? :D
  • edited February 2011
    Or just help us hard-of-hearing folks get the jokes we miss cause we can't hear them properly.
    There are quite a few.
  • edited April 2011
    Hey guys. I've been looking all over the internet for english subtitles which I can translate from but apparently there are none. So I've decided to listen through it and write it myself. The bad thing is, that it uses lot of slang (I just found out that "hoagie" is a sandwich. :) ) and I don't get it all, sometimes because of the sounds that just stop me from understanding the word. I copied the great deal of it from here: http://www.oocities.org/siliconvalley/peaks/6798/script01.txt
    , cause it saved me a lot of time, but it's not everything. I did the rest of the 20 minute episode myself and here's the file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/00shp0
    Please, I need a strong feedback. There are spaces marked like this:
    where I couldn't get the right words, and there are bracketed question marks (like this (???)) where I wasn't really sure about the word.
    Please, listen/read through this and write here the corrections/right words/sentences. I want to do all those episodes, but it will take some time and quite some work. So please help and please, be patient. :)
    Rastm4N
  • edited June 2011
    Why the animated series was removed from the store? I was making a list of stuff because of the 75% deal, and i couldn't find the S&M Animated Series on the store anymore.

So is there a way i can pre-order it from Telltale's Store when they get it?
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, since we're on topic, where can I buy the DVDs (apart from TT store, where it seems they got removed)? Is there any other site that sells them?
  • edited June 2011
    Terpor wrote: »
    Why the animated series was removed from the store? I was making a list of stuff because of the 75% deal, and i couldn't find the S&M Animated Series on the store anymore.

Maybe that was the whole purpose of this sale: get rid of old stuff?

I was waiting my payday to buy DVDs and few Max shot glasses, but it was so much late those already soldout. :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.