A little discovery I've made.

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
I've discovered that the magic words for Papierwaite's summoning spell are secretly pig latin for "come on in, the water's fine".

Comments

• edited May 2010
    yup, was a nice little quirk :)
  • edited May 2010
    I noticed that myself
  • edited May 2010
    yeah, it's nice.

The subtitles attempt to confuse you more with Umkay Onninway, the otterways inefay.

ominous pig latin chanting, gotta love it
  • edited May 2010
    I realised it was pig Latin, but I can never remember how that work, let alone turn it back into something I understand, so I'm glad someone translated it for me.
    Even with the solution, I still can't see it, that's how bad I am :p
  • edited May 2010
    It's the baffling native dialect of the Monkey Island cannibals.

"Oday ouyay avehay away apmay ofway ethay atacombscay?"
    -Guybrush Threepwood
  • edited May 2010
    Lol, it took me hours trying to translate that, and when I finally did all I got was:
    "Look for the other way in the chimes" Yeah, pig latin is not my second language.....
    Heck, no language is!
  • edited May 2010
    All you do is take the first letter and put it at the end of the word and add "ay" 90% of the time.
  • edited May 2010
    if it starts with a vowel you add way, which is also why I thought Water was Otter
  • edited May 2010
    I actually had to make him repeat the line a couple times just so I could finish translating it in my head.

Then I got stuck. :(
  • edited May 2010
    I realised it was Pig Latin from the start, but it just occurred to me that the second word in Pig Latin is Latin, the language of ominous cultish chanting and stuff.

That's awesome.
  • edited May 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I realised it was Pig Latin from the start, but it just occurred to me that the second word in Pig Latin is Latin, the language of ominous cultish chanting and stuff.

That's awesome.

Oooh, maybe Papierwaite is actually a pig in disguise.
  • edited May 2010
    I just took a screenshot of him saying that with subtitles on, and just took my time translating it in my image editor. Good thing the game handles alt+tabbing well :)

Also, Avistew, Pig Latin isn't too hard to understand, once you know the trick. To translate words back from Pig Latin to normal English, just remove the 'ay' from the end, and move the last consonant of the word to the beginning. Except with short words and words that start with a vowel, you have to remove the 'way' part from the end.
    This Wikipedia page probably explains it a bit better than I did. Plus, it has examples so you can practise!
  • edited May 2010
    Can Pigs speak Latin?
  • edited May 2010
    Why wasn't pig latin an essential part of everyone's primary school education?
  • edited May 2010
    Why wasn't pig latin an essential part of everyone's primary school education?

I hadn't even started learning English in primary school, let alone some twisted version of it :p

I guess it's funny because I have no trouble understanding verlan, which works in similar ways (you change the order of syllables, and sometimes change a few other things), but pig latin has me stumped. I guess I just forget what the beginning was by the time I reach the letter I have to put at the beginning, or something. Easier when it's written I guess, but I'd still have to take my time.
  • edited May 2010
    Is pig latin the same as backslang?
  • edited May 2010
    No backt.png
  • edited May 2010
    I'm aware of Pig Latin. Even Google supports it. ;)
    The strange choice of letters and word stops made it really unrecognizable to me, though. I knew, it sounded much like Pig Latin, but I couldn't make out the meaning. It's probably easier to the native English speaking folks, I guess. It was much easier to read in Monkey Island, imho.

As an interesting fact, Pig Latin actually is the English equivalent to the Kedelkloppersprook. A derivative from Low German. A language which was actually used to improve acoustics due to a noisy environment. See Kedelkloppersprook (German link)
  • edited May 2010
    it can also be called Freeky Deeky Dutch, for some reason
Sign in to comment in this discussion.