Kind of disappointed...

2»

Comments

• edited May 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Sam will wake up and it was all a dream, perhaps?

Just kidding, that's the worst ending possible ;)

Yeah, that and 'it was all just a ride in a theme park'.
  • edited May 2010
    I feel like every character plays a big role in the game and pop up everywhere you go. In older adventure games (sorry!) there were a lot of characters that would only stay in one place (like a kiosk, bridge etc) and would simply provide you with a short exchange of dialogue and maybe an item.
    I don't like those kinds of characters. They're boring. I much prefer the recurring kind.
    Dallen wrote: »
    My only issue with Season 3 is I fear they will continue the whole "Max has psychic powers!" bit on to future seasons. Don't get me wrong, its a cool idea and interesting gameplay mechanic. However, its a drastic character change for the Max we all already have come to love over the years. They should keep max has having an importance to the puzzles. I just don't know if using a drastic character change is such a great idea.
    Max has had latent psychic powers since at least the Beast from the Cereal Aisle comic. I'm not just making that up, either.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't think they will, I suspect the powers will be all wrapped up and explained by the end of the season.

Maybe he meant that it would be referenced to and joked about in future games. Like the 'Max is President' joke.
  • edited May 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I felt like jumping back and forth through the reels allowed for clever puzzle design, but that it didn't do the story any favors.

While I agree that the reel mechanism kinda disrupted the story, it doesn't look as a bad thing to me. Partially because it was interesting to piece the elements together, and mostly because there's no rule that the story needs to be woven in any manner resembling sane in a Sam&Max game :)
  • edited May 2010
    max can kepi vim buet when questioned about them he sees I find it cheating so I hid them whif the Psychic Powers chimes from the Blister of Tranquility and Soul Mater and the 4 Horseman aching fingers. sam: what didn't we get rid of the 4 Horseman aching on that elf. max: yap Santa gave me 2 and you 2 when we saved him it just I didn't tell you up in to now because I wanted to have vem all.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't think they will, I suspect the powers will be all wrapped up and explained by the end of the season.

Don't be to sure, I have a hunch he'll keep the powers under very strict rules on how to use it.
  • edited May 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Don't be to sure, I have a hunch he'll keep the powers under very strict rules on how to use it.

And how, pray-tell, would that work with Max of all people?

I'd figure that he'd just lose all the toys which have the powers, so latent, but non-manifesting powers.
  • edited May 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    And how, pray-tell, would that work with Max of all people?

Simple, in later Seasons he still has the Toys but he doesn't talk, or use the powers much at all. They're just used in time for puzzles and such.
  • edited May 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Max has had latent psychic powers since at least the Beast from the Cereal Aisle comic. I'm not just making that up, either.

Earlier than that. Bad day on the Moon, Consciousness Transference. If THAT cannot be explained by psychic powers, I don't know how.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I think that's one of the downside of voiced games. Every character needs a different voice, so you tend to have less very minor characters because you'd need to give them their own voice (and in some cases get an actor just for them), and of course you can't go as wild with the amount of dialogue as you would if it was only text.
    I think when you write a game and you know it's going to be voiced, you kind of adapt your writing to that, if I'm making sense.

Of course in this specific case there might also be the same thing with models. Re-using models rather than creating new ones probably takes less room.

TOMI managed to pull it off. It had a bunch of voice actors who didn't do that much, and it was better for it.

Re-using models is lazy though. It looks really really bad. TOMI episode 1 had it the worst, but they managed to fix it up by Episode 3, but 1 and 2 are kinda shameful.

I thought we would have better graphics than Season 1 and 2 in Season 3, but it's not the case. Like that smiley face on the moles keeps clipping into their robes when they move, and all the models are re-used. That and there's not really any new characters, they're all just recycled from the old series.

I wish Harry Moleman would go away. It was fine having him in 103, but he just keeps coming back and it's really annoying.

In every new Sam and Max game, 4/5 characters are intentionally annoying, like the elves and stuff.
  • edited May 2010
    the annoying ones get epic and get killd of
  • edited May 2010
    I love how everyone was like '302 is jesus' and I was like 'no it's not.' and you all got mad at me.

Now that a mod said that 302 wasn't perfect, everyone agrees suddenly.
  • edited May 2010
    What are you talking about? Nothing like that happened in this thread.
  • edited May 2010
    I love how everyone was like '302 is jesus' and I was like 'no it's not.' and you all got mad at me.

Show your work please.
  • edited June 2010
    I've always loved the Sam & Max games for their brutal comedy.

It's nice to see Telltale branch out into the horror genre with these new controls.
  • edited June 2010

if 302 is jesus, 303 will be god, and then 304 will be... uh... SACRILEGIOUS! and 305 will be the end of existence.
  • edited June 2010
    if 302 is jesus, 303 will be god, and then 304 will be... uh... SACRILEGIOUS! and 305 will be the end of existence.

So what is season 4 going to be?
  • edited June 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    So what is season 4 going to be?

Don't you get it? There will be no season 4 if 305 = the end of existence
  • edited June 2010
    Don't you get it? There will be no season 4 if 305 = the end of existence

Well will there at least be cake?
  • edited June 2010
    the cake is a lie.
  • edited June 2010
    I dunno ... the deaths are funny in both, but Sammun-Mak's deaths weren't reliant upon the player having a recent save in order for the "do over" to be painless. So they felt more like pure jokes to me, without the Sierra-esque baggage. [...] That said, "death-hunting" wasn't exactly at the top of my list of things to do in my first playthrough, so ... *shrug*

I wasn't really "death-hunting", just testing every little thing to see what I can get away with as usual. In the other seasons, there were plenty of opportunities to die, but for whatever reasons, nothing you can do was lethal.

But I have to also take in account, Sameth and Maximus are not Sam and Max. Perhaps dumb luck skips generations. At least for Sam. ^^;
    On a different note -- great to see you around here again, Breakman! Sammun-Mak turned out to be one of my personal favorites, so I find it difficult to commiserate with your disappointment, I'm afraid. I do hope you'll enjoy the next episodes more, though. There's still more than half the season to go, after all! :D

It's great to talk to you again too, Light. ^_^ (I hope you read this since I've taken my sweet time to reply to this thread!) I seem to be a lurker than anything else now days. (Facebook: The Black Hole For Time) Hello to you too, Shoo! (If you are reading this! ^^; ) We all need to get back to business at the Wiki. We've left poor Harald to do most of the editing a little too long...

It's just, I feel that this season seems off. I'm starting to tell myself that these episodes are suppose to feel off. Each one is a taste of different movie/book genres. So of course the characters have to kinda find a way to fit in. I came to that conclusion after watching the newest episode's (303's) trailer. I do like how Telltale is experimenting with new gameplay and storytelling. But as a Sam and Max game, it just doesn't have enough of that witty, pop-culture, and nonsensical humor I'm use to.

The thing that seems to bother me the most is that this season is trying to be "serious" or dark. I also felt uncomfortable when solving anything with Baby Emilia in 302.
    pwatol wrote: »
    I like the stumpers that are completely psychotic that make me have to get away from the game for a couple of days so I can see things differently when I get back, and that make you say either "Duh!" or "What?!?!? Are you nuts?!?!?" when you solve them. I didn't get any of that here.

You reminded me of something (and off topic). Sam and Max taught me how to play adventure games. At least, LucasArts adventure games. Try everything in your environment and inventory, even if it doesn't seem like it will do anything. The unexpected and the interesting usually happens when you do something out of the ordinary. Problem solving in the Telltale games aren't too hard for me.
    Xandon wrote: »
    It's nice to see Telltale branch out into the horror genre with these new controls.

Ohohoho! Is funny because Telltale is experimenting with different movie genres on each episode and you don't like the controls! The controls are like horror movie!

(Sorry Xandon, I had to do it. Darn Family Guy! ^^; )

About Max's psychic powers, they were usually used as a deus ex machina before. And since it's Max, we all know that once the reasons for him to have psychic powers are gone, he'll forget all about them.
  • edited June 2010
    Breakman wrote: »
    Hello to you too, Shoo! (If you are reading this! ^^; ) We all need to get back to business at the Wiki. We've left poor Harald to do most of the editing a little too long...
    Hello! And yeah. I really suck at commitment.
    It's just, I feel that this season seems off. I'm starting to tell myself that these episodes are suppose to feel off. Each one is a taste of different movie/book genres. So of course the characters have to kinda find a way to fit in. I came to that conclusion after watching the newest episode's (303's) trailer. I do like how Telltale is experimenting with new gameplay and storytelling. But as a Sam and Max game, it just doesn't have enough of that witty, pop-culture, and nonsensical humor I'm use to.
    I think I'm feeling something similar. This season feels like it's getting less grounded, and I liked that about last seasons. I still like this one a lot, and I'd been wanting to see a more cohesive Sam & Max storyline for a while.
  • edited June 2010
    They're just different. I took me till after I finished Tomb of Sammun-Mak to get why everyone loved The Penal Zone so much.
  • edited June 2010
    jaden551 wrote: »
    the cake is a lie.

:I really
  • edited June 2010
    I find in intriguing that during these discussions no-one points out that in earlier seasons some people moaned Max was a bit kind of 2D, he had no depth to his character beyond I am psychotic where as the original comics he did have other stuff going on. Equally in episode 204 we went back in time and got him off of the arcade game which made him more interested in girls and less violent psycho among other things.
  • edited June 2010
    The deaths were good as a one-off thing. I don't think we'll see them in future episodes. And if you didn't like the first two, the next one looks to be more of the same which is a GREAT thing for the rest of us.
  • edited June 2010
    302! 302! 302!

Can't wait for 303.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.