How to limit FPS?

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
When I run the latest S&M, my graphics card starts jumping up in temperature quite a large amount (a lot more so than other games I play); I'd like to limit the FPS in order to reduce this. How can I do that?

Also, does S&M have an FPS cap to begin with, or does it use up all resources?

Comments

• TorTor
    edited May 2010
    I'd like to limit the FPS in order to reduce this. How can I do that?
    If you have an ATI or Nvidia graphics card you can enable vertical synchronization (aka. vsync) in your ATI/Nvidia graphics control panel. That should limit your FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor (usually 60 Hz).

Edit: That said, I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature though--unless you find the fan noise annoying or you're on a laptop that has inadequate cooling. High end GPUs these days do run quite hot and are designed to withstand it. For example, my GeForce can run at over 80°C under load, and in the 70°C range when idle (the fan spins down at that temperature). The GPU chip is supposedly designed to run at up to 105°C.
  • edited May 2010
    Ya that's an idea, will try VSync thanks.

Yea the 80 range isn't a bad running temperature for the card, but mine is pushing 95 atm; even though it can take that (although, I do notice the game giving me artifacts), I don't like running it that hot as it can affect longevity of the card.
  • TorTor
    edited May 2010
    You might also want to check that your computer's air vents aren't clogged with dust. If they are, you can get a can of compressed air to clean them out. (Don't use the vacuum cleaner, I've heard that can destroy the fans)
  • edited May 2010
    Ya they very probably are at this stage; been a long time since I cleaned them out :)

Thanks for the help!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.