Jared Emerson-Johnson appreciation thread

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
I always liked the jazzy music in season 1 and 2 - but I just love season 3's music! Anyone else think the music of season 3 is pant-spoilingly awesome?
(Especially the intro)

Comments

• edited May 2010
    yesyesyesyesyes
  • edited May 2010
    Jared's music is awesome, his job on Episode 2 of The Devil's Playhouse was very well done. And the opening theme was also awesome. I like his music.
  • edited May 2010
    episode 2 has like, no old music, its amazing
  • edited May 2010
    Totally, the way he did it, it was like it was real music from 1901, the cuts from the record the sound from it. If musicians had a poll, I'd vote for Jared.
  • edited May 2010
    I definately appreciate Jared Emerson-Johnson.

Wasn't that him in the 205 trailer as well? Or is that someone else?
  • edited May 2010
    i think it was?...
  • edited May 2010
  • edited May 2010
    I must admit I love Jared’s work. For example, Consecutive Office, The Office, Don Ted E. Bear Waltz (s1) and Twilight Eternal (s2) are incredible… but I must say, what he did with the Street theme in Season 3 is awesome.

Music is important in videogames. Luckily, Telltale and Jared know that :)
  • edited May 2010
    And he sings in World of Max!
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    The thing that impresses me most about this guy is not his music (though that is obviously brilliant) - it's the fact that he seems to combine so much talent with a huge amount of humility. Respect.
  • edited May 2010
    say has anyone noticed this?
  • edited May 2010
    Jeez, hearing his voice in those videos, it's hard to imagine that he does the voices for the C.O.P.S. and De Singe.

And as if he wasn't awesome enough for his music, he had to go and be awesome for his voice as well.

One thing I'd love to see someday is more video of the recording sessions, particularly with him. I dunno why, I just love getting to see these familiar voices coming from the original, yet unfamiliar, source.
  • edited May 2010
    Jared composes the most luscious songs I've ever heard. his music is soothing, and jazzy! and a sign that you can truly appreciate the classic forms of music
  • edited May 2010
    Jared is awesome sound guy and perfect for the voices of the COPS
  • edited May 2010
    I love the main theme when it goes duurn duurn DURN DEEE EEEE OOO EEEE like an old sci fi B-movie.
  • edited May 2010
    Jared's music is amazing. Lefty's 2.0 and 4:59 in particular are two of my favorite pieces of video game music.
  • edited May 2010
    I told my mum to listen to the soundtrack on the way to school the other day, just one track, and she thought it was going to be stupid immature comedy music, but then THIS comes on and she thinks its amazing!
  • edited May 2010
    I love Jared's music in all the Sam & Max games. I love his voice overs as the C.O.P.S. & DeSinge to.

Now, I have a lot of favorite songs, (The Office, Ted E. Bear's, World of Max, the Tiny Tiki song, The sewer in season 2, and more.) But one of my favorite songs is still 'Attack the Dog", you know, the finale of Season one's Culture Shock. I actually just stopped playing for a few minutes just to listen the the game music, the 1st time I played it. Very well done.

And Season 3's music is some of the best yet. I really liked the 'Little Artic Circle' song in 302, it really captured the sound of the early 1900s. Keep up the great work.
  • edited May 2010
    I love his voice acting.
    However, I'm music dumb. Unless there are lyrics to listen to or it's the center of attention, I don't notice that there is music playing when it's good. I only notice music if it's so bad you have to turn it off or something.
    Which isn't the case at all in the Sam and Max games.

I like his singing, too.
  • edited June 2010
    One of the best things about Telltales games is the music.. Thanks Jared!
  • rybryb
    edited June 2010
    Cogs In Motion <3
  • edited June 2010
    I'll admit, I'm a newbie in the TellTale series of games, yes, I'm one of those who came here for Monkey Island but were too lazy to leave afterwards! So of course, after being impressed with TOMI, I lay down the money for Season 3 of Sam & Max and eventually got around to buying Season 1 and 2 as well. I have to say though, the music has definitely been a stand out for these. Oddly enough one of my faves being the Sea Shanty song in Stinky's Diner from The Penal Zone, making me think that TOMI would of suited that style a lot!
  • edited June 2010
    Oh yes, Season 3 has been his best work so far and it's only been 2 episodes :D If it continues to be awesome (and thats a big if) ill totally buy the OST when it comes out! \o/
  • edited June 2010
    The man is an absolute frickin' genius. Cogs in Motion, Radical!, Woo!, 4:59, Good for You (Good for Me), etc.

I think that the flute/trumpet duet in 4:59 and the sax section in Radical! are two of my favorite musical moments ever.
  • edited June 2010
    After The Tomb of SammunMak I'm kinda disapointed of the third episode - From Ep2 i remember at least 6 tracks but from Ep3 only one or two was that good IMO :<
  • edited June 2010
    :: puts on best Samuel L Jackson face ::

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I have HAD IT with this motherf'in appreciation threads on this motherf'in FORUM!

That said, this season does indeed have great music.
  • edited June 2010
    I thought that soft jazz at the beginning of Episode 3 was awesome. It was so...emotionally.
  • edited June 2010
    I love Jared's music. It is amazing how he can write songs as different as the Mariachi song, Radical!, Don Ted E. Bear Waltz, New Location Unlocked, Useful to boot (or all the Reality 2.0 songs), Cooking without looking, Jürgen's Lair Suite, etc., and still do such an amazing job.

I can't wait for the season 3 soundtrack! :)
  • edited June 2010
    Anybody else noticed the great homage to Bernard Hermmann's "North by Northwest" in the part where you fight Paperwaite (or whatever the hell his name is spelled) in Episode 2? Anybody know if it was intentional?
    Here's the Hermann piece for you to compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8olUMYeOgAA
  • edited June 2010
    He does a really good job of Superball's voice too
  • edited June 2010
    He does a really good job of Superball's voice too
    Er, Jared doesn't voice Superball. You're getting him confused with Peter Barto, I believe.
  • edited June 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    Er, Jared doesn't voice Superball. You're getting him confused with Peter Barto, I believe.

He did do the singing as Superball(s) though.
  • edited June 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    He did do the singing as Superball(s) though.

Oh yeah. Well, uh, ignore my last post then. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Anybody else noticed the great homage to Bernard Hermmann's "North by Northwest" in the part where you fight Paperwaite (Papierwaite*) in Episode 2? Anybody know if it was intentional?
    It's too similar to not be :P
  • edited June 2010
    Love the music! Ep 3 - 2 the best so far!
  • JaredEJJaredEJ Former Telltale Staff

<3

• Took you long enough to find it! :p

We're still hoping for that Devil's Playhouse Official Soundtrack. Some day....

• edited August 2016

I still love what he did with the original theme song... a jazzy take on Hit the Road... I may or may not loop that theme on my iPod >.>

• We love your work, Jared, may you always grace our ears with your awesome score :)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.