A Pirate Coat is a...?

edited April 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
Not long after TMI was announced and these forums opened there was a discussion about Guybrush's new outfit (to be expected) and somebody mentioned the name of the type of coat he's wearing and gave a link wo a Wikipedia page.

I can't find the thread. I've been searching but I can't think of what to type to refine my search accurately.

Actually I don't think it really matched the coat warn in TMI, though they did have intricate patterns they buttoned down to the waist (I think, it's possible they were designed not to be buttoned) and went narrow at the back. They may have had a few frills.

If anybody knows what I'm talking about and knows of any web pages with such coats displayed i'd be quite grateful.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Were you thinking of a justacorps?

French_justeaucorps_c._1690_Stockholm_Army_Museum.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    hmmm.... could have been.... but i remember them looking more frilly... and definitely shorter. And these are way more militant.

[edit] ah, i like the one on wiki much better. but i still don't think that's it.
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, those are actual military coats. :)

Here's one that's less military (and shorter):

m51700-05.jpg

You might be after a different style though... maybe looking at 17th century fashion would help.
  • edited June 2010
    That's a lot more like Luis Francisco de la Cerda's, from the wiki page, but I don't think what I'm after is a justacorps.

Thanks, though :)
    edited June 2010
    No problem! Let us know when you find the right thing. :)
  • edited June 2010
    I should point out, though, that the coat I have in mind didn't actually look like the one worn by Guybrush in game. It was linked by somebody who said it was but it just didn't have that much of a resemblance.
  • edited June 2010
    Marduk wrote: »
    I should point out, though, that the coat I have in mind didn't actually look like the one worn by Guybrush in game. It was linked by somebody who said it was but it just didn't have that much of a resemblance.

So you want us to find a coat that DOESN'T resemble Guybrush's? That should be easy...
  • edited June 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Were you thinking of a justacorps?

French_justeaucorps_c._1690_Stockholm_Army_Museum.jpg

:eek: those look almost exactly like Guybrush's!
  • edited June 2010
    damn those are some sexy coats.
  • edited June 2010
    I think that Guybrush's outfit in Tales was a lot like his outfit in LeChuck's Revenge. However, during LeChuck's Revenge, Guybrush was still very immature physically and emotionally and thus looked like a buffoon at that point in Monkey Island history. By Tales, Guybrush had matured enough and had enough respect to pull off wearing that outfit, the same applies to the beard.
  • edited June 2010
    hplikelike wrote: »
    So you want us to find a coat that DOESN'T resemble Guybrush's? That should be easy...

What I was really hoping, and well aware that it is a long shot, was that the person who originally posted these other coats might notice this thread, realise I might be talking about them and post a link.

Or maybe, and this seems even less likely somebody else who noticed the thread at the time and remembers a few details about the coats in question and can point me in the right direction.
  • edited April 2011
    Sorry for all the awkwardness...

I know this is a while ago and people have no doubt lost interest, if they had any to begin with, but this is the kind of coat I was looking for:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/49940459/mens-rococo-18th-century-brocade-jacket?ref=sr_gallery_29&ga_search_query=coat&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade%2Fclothing%2Fcostume%2Fgothic

somebody had posted a coat somewhat like this one, way back when, and I didn't go nearly far enough to describing it. i suck at describing things for people anyway.
  • edited April 2011
    TTG any plans on relesing a Guybrush coat?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.