Back To The Future Deserves A Good Game!

edited June 2010 in Back to the Future
But whis is TellTale gonna do?? New continuing story?? BTTF4??

Comments

• edited June 2010
    ArrM8ii wrote: »
    But whis is TellTale gonna do?? New continuing story?? BTTF4??

From the AP article:
    "The games are going to exist within these worlds," said Connors. "I wouldn't call these games sequels per se but a new interpretation of their worlds for a new medium. For one generation, it's an introduction to these series. For another generation, it's a thing they can look back on and something they can share warmly with their family and friends."
  • edited June 2010
    Anyone remember this?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if Telltale decided to do Jurassic Park first partly so they can use it as a learning experience before touching Back to the Future.

JP just doesn't seem to inspire the same kind of devoted fan-love as BTTF, so any mistakes may be more easily forgiven. The general impression I get is that JP fans are marginally less rabid passionate than the BTTF fanbase, and therefore there's slightly less risk of an angry mob forming if anything is less than perfect.

It seems "safer" to use JP as the dry run, so the knowledge/experience gained in producing that series can be used to make BTTF even better than it might have been otherwise. Would be interesting to know if it was a consideration at all.
  • edited June 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I wonder if Telltale decided to do Jurassic Park first partly so they can use it as a learning experience before touching Back to the Future.

According to the blog and the press release, BTTF is first then JP.
    edited June 2010
    Heh, I should read the blog! The newsy things I saw all mentioned JP. In that case, I guess it was definitely not a consideration at all. :p
  • edited June 2010
    Ninja'd. Move along.
  • edited June 2010
    Someone wrote this elswhere, but I think we should remember that a lot of S&M and MI fans are, stereotypically, going to love Back to the Future. I'm not sure the same kinds of people got quite so obsessed with Jurassic Park.

What matters, ofc, is how TTG expand both games. Jurassic Park always bored me to death, but being able to play an interactive game in a dangerous prehistoric environment etc. Could capture the imagination and is as close to doing a LOST game as TTG would get in my opinion.
  • edited June 2010
    Don't forget that BTTF is a little older than JP. Most people who are Telltale fans because of LucasArts probably grew up on Back To The Future films and they evoke the same sort of nostalgia that, say, early Monkey Island does (the 3rd film came out the same year as Monkey Island).

Jurassic Park was cool and a real event, too, in its own way, but it came just that little bit later and just was almost but not quite quite as iconic or quotable, or as compelling as a piece of escapism: I wanted to travel in a time machine car, but I never wanted to get chased by dinosaurs :O Also, the sequels weren't as good as BTTFs, even if some people complain about BTTF3.
    edited June 2010
    I agree, although for me it has little to do with age/nostalgia because I grew up with both.

BTTF captures the imagination in a way that JP just can't manage (although the helicopter scene where they first arrive on the island made an extremely strong impression on me). I think part of it is that Marty is such an easy character to identify with - he's just an average teenager who falls into a fantastic adventure. And it's an adventure that's rollicking good fun, where the bad guy Biff is pretty comical and everything turns out ok in the end.

Whereas JP is largely about, y'know, being terrified and desperately trying to avoid death. Oh and something to do with the majesty of nature. It can't inspire the same kind of girlish excitement - time machines and Doc Brown will win every time with me.
  • edited June 2010
    I agree, although for me it has little to do with age/nostalgia because I grew up with both.

BTTF captures the imagination in a way that JP just can't manage (although the helicopter scene where they first arrive on the island made an extremely strong impression on me). I think part of it is that Marty is such an easy character to identify with - he's just an average teenager who falls into a fantastic adventure. And it's an adventure that's rollicking good fun, where the bad guy Biff is pretty comical and everything turns out ok in the end.

Whereas JP is largely about, y'know, being terrified and desperately trying to avoid death. Oh and something to do with the majesty of nature. It can't inspire the same kind of girlish excitement - time machines and Doc Brown will win every time with me.

You just describe me, with Jurassic Park didn't you?
  • edited June 2010
    Whereas JP is largely about, y'know, being terrified and desperately trying to avoid death. Oh and something to do with the majesty of nature.

I found Jurassic Park to be mainly about how it's impossible to control nature and the futility of humanity...just like every other Crichton novel.
  • edited June 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    From the AP article:

That's what they said about Tales, too.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.