The Future Soon

Obviously we're much closer to the 'future,' 2015 than we are to the 'present' of the films, 1985.

Anyone else a little curious about how they are going to handle this? I mean, there's no getting away from the fact that BTTF's future is way more advanced in some ways (flying cars, hoverboards, cyborg style implants, weather control, Mr. Fusion, Jaws 19!) and less in others (Display technology, 3D effects and fax machines... really?) than the real 2015 is realistically likely to be.

It would surely have to be the case that they take BTTF's 2015 as canon, in my opinion. But how are they going to do it in the game, I wonder... is it going to be set in the present day, but one which is close to the 2015 of BTTF? Is it still going to centre around 1985? Will we get to see even further into BTTF's future? How are they going to explain that weirdness to newcomers to the franchise?

Of course, there's no way of knowing... but fun to speculate after I watched part 2 again last night.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    They could probably do it by not going to the years 1986-2019.
  • edited June 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    They could probably do it by not going to the years 1986-2019.

Sure - that makes sense, but I wonder if they should even try to gloss over the fact that BTTF's 2015 is very different to what the real 2015 is likely to be. I would kind of like them to embrace that. After all, the ridiculous future of BTTF2 doesn't stop it from being a kinda cool film.

And I'm still holding out for one of those pizza hydrators.
  • edited June 2010
    WE STILL HAVE 5 YEARS! Anything is possible!
  • edited June 2010
    xChri5x wrote: »
    WE STILL HAVE 5 YEARS! Anything is possible!

this
  • edited June 2010
    it doesn't really matter. They knew that whatever they could come up with would be wrong, so they didn't even try, they just went with the craziest ideas they had. I don't think anyone has a problem with BttF being "alternate history"
    The BttF games present HAS to be the 80s. I think it would lose a lot of it's charm if it uses a character from around 2010
  • edited June 2010
    Crrash wrote: »
    The BttF games present HAS to be the 80s. I think it would lose a lot of it's charm if it uses a character from around 2010
    ^This
  • edited June 2010
    Well in 1985 they never had time machines and we still don't... The game will be based in that universe despite what our "skewed" timeline really is!! That's like saying that that a new Terminator game couldn't happen because "Judgement Day" never really happened! Well DUH!!! It's called FICTION!
  • edited June 2010
    I appreciate the title of this thread.
  • edited June 2010
    You do know time travel can alter the timeline, right? I mean that's pretty much in every time travel story ever. You go to the past, you step on a butterfly and someone in the future creates the flying car, the hover board and Jaws 19! Time travel itself constantly alters the past, present and future! It's that simple.
    Besides, don't worry about it just yet. We know pretty much nothing about the game.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh and by the way, did they ever print a sports almanac with all the sports results from 1950-2000?
  • edited June 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    Oh and by the way, did they ever print a sports almanac with all the sports results from 1950-2000?

:eek: BURN IT!!! :mad: ;)
  • edited June 2010

Unless it's 1925 and it's Marty's great great grandfather.
  • edited June 2010
    Right I think there are a lot of years they could visit, and it would be funny. Any time in the 1999-2001 range could be pretty good. I'd probably stay away from 2015 just because we've seen it.

I kind of like the idea of having somebody from 2010 going back to the 80s, and they reenact the "who's president of the US in 1985" gag, but instead it's "who's the governor of California in 2010." Just because the situation is so similar it'd be a funny throwback.
  • edited June 2010
    ArrM8ii wrote: »
    Well in 1985 they never had time machines and we still don't... The game will be based in that universe despite what our "skewed" timeline really is!! That's like saying that that a new Terminator game couldn't happen because "Judgement Day" never really happened! Well DUH!!! It's called FICTION!

There could have been a time machine in our universe's 1985 where someone went ahead or worse back and changed things. We could be on a split timeline and the temporal disruption either missed us or is on it's way. Either way we have no idea whether a time machine has ever been built or has been used because the "changes" would only be noticeable to the traveler and not us. Heck, our reality could change and we'd never know it. Man I've been watching and reading too much Science Fiction. lol Great thread BTW.

But really I would love to see a variation of The Day of The Tentacle where you have to manipulate objects from different times and use them in other times and back and forth. It makes for great thinking puzzles. And of course I would hope they would have a driving sequence.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.