Hi Res Cut-Scenes?

edited March 2006 in Bone
why dont u do them??? b-(

Comments

• edited March 2006
    the obvious answer would be a reasonable download size vs. the size of hisres cutscenes. no?
  • edited March 2006
    Telltale's cut-scenes are rendered on the fly using the game engine, aren't they? As soon as a cut scene is higher-res than the game itself, immersion is lost as you're obviously grabbed from the game and again when the cutscene is over and you return to the game.

Also, if your monitor needs to switch resolutions often there's a few-second blackout, which again, is very poor for immersion.

And as said above an on-the-fly rendered cutscene is a lot less file-size intensive than a hi-res movie file.
  • edited March 2006
    Wouldn't video playback be of lower resolution?
  • edited March 2006
    Telltale's cut-scenes are rendered on the fly using the game engine, aren't they? As soon as a cut scene is higher-res than the game itself, immersion is lost as you're obviously grabbed from the game and again when the cutscene is over and you return to the game.

Also, if your monitor needs to switch resolutions often there's a few-second blackout, which again, is very poor for immersion.

And as said above an on-the-fly rendered cutscene is a lot less file-size intensive than a hi-res movie file.

hi.
    i dont think youre right.
    hi-res cutscenes are being done for years.. and they are great! Final Fantasy is the best example I can think of..

i think that the main reason telltale doesnt do it is that it costs money, sometimes a lot of money.
    and they take time and resources, ofcourse, which they dont have much, cause they are doin episodic games..
    they'll have to model the hi-res characters, animate them, render them, find people to do that stuff, and so on..

the immersion is not so much of a problem... it could be perfect, if they would do it right.

file size is also a small disadvantage with today's fast connections...

imo, telltale, u should invest your time and money on those hi res cutscenes.. they make a game so much more exciting and interesting!
    i would definitely pay more money on the game for those...
  • edited March 2006
    While I don't think that high-res cutscenes disrupt emersion, I also don't think that they're necessary either. Basically it's just expensive eye-candy, which is not what Telltale is all about. As for Final Fantasy, my favorite one, Final Fantasy Tactics, had only one high-res cutscene at the beginning, and it had the best plot I've ever seen in a game.
  • edited March 2006
    While I don't think that high-res cutscenes disrupt emersion, I also don't think that they're necessary either. Basically it's just expensive eye-candy, which is not what Telltale is all about. As for Final Fantasy, my favorite one, Final Fantasy Tactics, had only one high-res cutscene at the beginning, and it had the best plot I've ever seen in a game.

yes... but... think about it
    in monkey island 3 the cutscenes added so much to the game
    i dont say its necessary in order to make a good game, just that its a really cool feature
  • edited March 2006
    I've never really thought about the cutscenes in Monkey Island 3 as being particularly high-res, the cutscenes looked pretty much like the rest of the game. I think of High-res as refering to cuscenes that graphically look a hundred times better than the actual game. As long as the cutscenes aren't just eyecandy then I think they that they would work well. I'm against unecessary out of place, distractions.
  • edited March 2006
    well, actually the resolution of MI3 custscenes is 640x480 - not very hi-res in today's standards. you may check it yourself if you wish.

and if are talking about today's standards - well 1024*768
    cutscenes are out of question (just look at the size of the QT HD for comparsion), especially for a downloaded game.
  • edited March 2006
    Uh, does Bone really need high res cutscenes? I think when they're already rendered in the game engine it looks and feels a lot better, especially as the game engine is not exactly bad. Basically there's not really much you can do for high res cutscenes in a simple clean looking cartoony game. And they make the file size balloon out of proportion. They're basically totally unecessary. I can think of no reason you would need them when the game engine could do 'em just as well and save a good 50-100 megs in file size.
  • edited March 2006
    I don't care for pre-rendered hi-res cutscenes. It detracts from the rest of the game. I'd rather see real-time rendered scenes, that fit with the original resolution of the game. Go play your console Final Fantasy game and be happy. Leave us oldtime PC gamers and games alone. It's bad enough that PC games are being made more "console" friendly.
  • edited March 2006
    ok ok im sorry... just an idea... :(
  • edited March 2006
    ok ok im sorry... just an idea... :(

No need to apologize... it takes all of the fun out of lively debate :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.