Jennifer - From Hot to Meh

edited September 2010 in Back to the Future
Will Telltale be redesigning her (if she in it at all) a third of the way in?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    You do realize that Jennifer was recast because the first actress's mom had cancer, right?
  • edited June 2010
    You do realize that Jennifer was recast because the first actress's mom had cancer, right?

No I didn't, fu...
  • edited June 2010
    You thought Elisabeth Shue was MEH?!? I think even pushing 50 years old now she is still pretty attractive.... but maybe thats just me
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Oh, we're discussing Jennifer now? :D

As always, there are many reasons for finding Jennifer "meh" in BTTF II and III. None of them have to do with Elisabeth Shue's attractivity. She's WOW. :D

Here's a short list:
    • In the first movie, Jennifer (Claudia Wells) is a very self-confident woman. She is the one to tell Marty that he should have a little more self-esteem, she's the cool girl who tries to smuggle Marty in class when he's too late.
    • From part II on, Jennifer's (Elisabeth Shue's) role is marginalized. Bob Gale has acknowledged that the ending of BBTF I was actually more of a parody and that having Jennifer with our heroes in the DeLorean actually destroyed the dynamics between Doc & Marty. Consequently, they had to get rid of her pretty fast.
    • From then on, her role is that of the panicking girl and the sleeping beauty. That's pretty meh, but not to be avoided.
    • Because of the storyline, she keeps wearing that ridiculous blue girly-dress, which might have fitted Claudia Wells for the two minutes that she wore it on-screen, but definitly not Elisabeth Shue for the entirety of BTTF II and III.

So, essentially: If she's included, let her be type-BTTF-Jennifer and give her something new to wear. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Looks wise this topic should be titled - Jennifer - From Hot to Realistic
  • edited June 2010
    And still: Elizabeth Shue is one sexy lady... still is!
  • edited June 2010
    @Secret Fawful
    *lol*

Oh my, actually i think she looks a lot better nowadays. But, wow, i found Scarlett Johansson in Matchpoint breathtaking, i still do. Oh and whilst we're at it, don't miss Allen's The Curse of the Jade Scorpion!
  • edited June 2010
    They could actually make her a playable character
  • edited June 2010
    I never got how Clara could be considered more memorable than Jennifer. Jennifer is the heart of Marty's future. Clara got to be on a Drew Struzan poster, but Jennifer didn't and hardly anyone ever remembers her or mentions her when talking about BTTF, and that makes me angry.
  • edited June 2010
    I blame her Haute Couture, i mean the lack of any. :O)
  • edited June 2010
    Im reading abit of the Back to the future script, and Jennifer is actually called Suzy in it
  • edited August 2010
    They could actually make her a playable character
    Omg yes! that would be kewl :p
    (Claudia Wells)
    (Elisabeth Shue)

She was Two different people O.o? ... wait really? ...how
  • edited August 2010
    yes the one from the first movie...WOW HOT!!!

elizabeth shue...meh...dont like it in that role!!!

i think clara sucks, the little kids from the doc sucks, dont care mucho about them...those characters make me like less BTTF3...

the rest all are great!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Jenna wrote: »

Time to REALLY clarify. ;)

Claudia Wells played Jennifer in the first movie. Naturally, Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis wanted her recast for movies 2 and 3, yet Claudia gave up acting at the time in favour of being with her family. Here's an interview from the beginning of the year, where she explains a lot.

So for BTTF II and III, another actress had to take over, and they chose Elisabeth Shue, who was already quite a famous actress at the time.

I particularly recognize her from "Adventures in Babysitting", two years before BTTF II:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nly-bfguf4k
  • edited August 2010
    Jenna wrote: »
    Guess I am not the only person who didn't knew before reading this thread, and I saw the trilogy many times (and have it on DVD).

Guess that shows I didn't really payed much interest to Jennifer at all.
  • edited August 2010
    Wow, I never knew it either. But I just did an image search and she's not meh...
  • edited August 2010
    I think they should have the 1st jennifer in bttf 1, Claudia Wells!
  • edited August 2010
    :confused:

Oh man. I Feel so dumb lol. I must of seen these movies, Well, God knows how many times since i was a kid. And i never even noticed it was a different Jennifer either!. I sure didn't think it was the same girl from 'Adventures In Babysitting'. Another one of my childhood favorites. Damn, I'm usually so perceptive aswell when it comes to things like this. Well you learn something new everyday! ;)
  • edited August 2010
    LOL I thought he meant the actress was hot when she was younger and aged poorly but it makes sense that he's referring to the character not the actress solely but the actresses...
  • edited August 2010
    I'm surprised so many people never noticed the different actress, it has always bothered me since I first saw BTTF Part II many years ago.
  • edited August 2010
    I think its because you only see the original actress for like 5 minutes at the start of the first movie. Then they do the ol' switch-aroo at the end of the same movie. So that's why alot of people didn't notice i think. Including me
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Solo187 wrote: »
    I think its because you only see the original actress for like 5 minutes at the start of the first movie. Then they do the ol' switch-aroo at the end of the same movie. So that's why alot of people didn't notice i think. Including me

It was Claudia Wells all through BttF1. They refilmed the ending scene with Elizabeth Shue for the opening of the second movie.

So they didn't switch anyone out mid movie.
  • edited August 2010
    LOL...this is all so confusing.
  • edited August 2010
    Oh rite. Sorry its a while since i seen it now. I misunderstood. So, The ending to the original Back to the future is still the same actress. But they re shot the same sequence with Elisabeth shue for The intro to back to the future II? yeh. I get it now
  • edited August 2010
    Claudia Wells played Jennifer in the first movie. Naturally, Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis wanted her recast for movies 2 and 3, yet Claudia gave up acting at the time in favour of being with her family. Here's an interview from the beginning of the year, where she explains a lot.

Jennifer3.JPG

OH WOW!
  • edited August 2010
    With that comparison it's so obvious. I guess I just never payed it mind. Maybe I noticed it but never authenticated it out into intellectual curiosity.It's actually quite easy to notice. I can't believe that any one of us wouldn't have been humored by it in some way...

I think we all actually noticed it, she looks completely different, I think we just went with it.
  • edited August 2010
    @doodo!

Yep i agree. I happened to find that comparison clip before it was posted here & i think i did notice at the time. I must have. Just over the years i'd forgotten.
  • edited September 2010
    I never got how Clara could be considered more memorable than Jennifer. Jennifer is the heart of Marty's future. Clara got to be on a Drew Struzan poster, but Jennifer didn't and hardly anyone ever remembers her or mentions her when talking about BTTF, and that makes me angry.

*Magic Emperor stands at a dark corner, watching the conversation. When Secret Fawful dishes out the hard truth, Magic Emperor smiles and nods in approval*
  • edited September 2010
    I didn't realise until this thread, but I've never watched the movies back-to-back, and don't think I've really sat down to watch 2 or 3 properly again since seeing them in the theatre.

I've put them on for the kids or caught bits on TV, but it's always been a background thing. There's a huge icy storm coming our way for the weekend, so might be a good excuse to rug-up and pop them on for a proper family viewing session.
  • edited September 2010
    Well, I just did a marathon with this in mind, and honestly, I still couldn't/can't tell.

Shows you how much I think she's "hot" (if you don't get it: NOT).
  • edited September 2010
    ive allways known that there has been 2 actors for jennifer , jennifer is cool and i think there should be more of jennifer in a sequeal or computer game
  • edited September 2010
    ive allways known that there has been 2 actors for jennifer , jennifer is cool and i think there should be more of jennifer in a sequeal or computer game

You're marty mcfly, of course you knew...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.