Video Review - They Stole Max's Brain

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Is this okay this long before the game's release, or does the embargo automatically break on release day, regardless of actual release time?
  • edited June 2010
    You just posted this in another thread, and again, it's not really spoiler free. The first minute gave away some big plot points.
  • edited June 2010
    Ideally reviews would be around at the same time a game has been released, not sooner, not later.
  • edited June 2010
    The embargo specified that I could post my review at 12:01 AM PST. I posted several hours after that.
  • edited June 2010
    Fair enough, but you still should remove the "spoiler free" part, because it's not.
  • edited June 2010
    The embargo specified that I could post my review at 12:01 AM PST. I posted several hours after that.
    As i said i would release it once the game is available.

If i own the game already, i mostly don't want to look the review in order to avoid spoilers. If i don't own the game and want some information, then i can't buy/play it yet. I know that it's hip beeing amongst the first in the internet, but it doesn't always make sense.
  • edited June 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    As i said i would release it once the game is available.

If i own the game already, i mostly don't want to look the review in order to avoid spoilers. If i don't own the game and want some information, then i can't buy it yet. I know that it's hip beeing amongst the first in the internet, but it doesn't always make sense.

It doesn't really matter. If I don't own the game already and want some information, I can buy the series and play the first two, if I already own it already, I'm not going to watch a review of it until I complete it anyway, so it really doesn't matter when the review was released because I'm not going to get to it for a while anyway.

I'm not exactly sure I understand why you would complain if a review was released a few hours before the game was. It's available for you to view early if you are interested, and if you aren't, you don't have to watch it. Simple as that.
  • edited June 2010
    And there always will be people who will watch a review because they are too curious but get angry afterwards because they've seen spoilers or play the game kind of biased then. Simple as that.
  • edited June 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    And there always will be people who will watch a review because they are too curious but get angry afterwards because they've seen spoilers or play the game kind of biased then. Simple as that.

Are you one of those people? I'm that kind of person for sure. That's why I don't watch reviews until after I've played the game.
  • edited June 2010
    Must not watch... REVEAL.....PLOT....INFORMATION!!!

I'm better than this. I wont watch.... just an hour and 10 minuets.

okay, I watched the vids beginning to see who got the extra copy, and its that guy. You know that guy? No offense to him, but he will have sex with a telltale game. nothing wrong with that, but i imagine he would rather kill himself than badmouth an s&m game.

Ima go watch some mind numbing youtube poop viedo's so I'l be nice and stupid for brain.
  • edited June 2010
    Shit, man. That's incredibly spoilery...
  • edited June 2010
    Are you one of those people? I'm that kind of person for sure. That's why I don't watch reviews until after I've played the game.
    Nope, not in this case, ahm but i know that this is an issue for quite some players and these reviews don't help them.
  • edited June 2010
    Must not watch... REVEAL.....PLOT....INFORMATION!!!

I'm better than this. I wont watch.... just an hour and 10 minuets.

okay, I watched the vids beginning to see who got the extra copy, and its that guy. You know that guy? No offense to him, but he will have sex with a telltale game. nothing wrong with that, but i imagine he would rather kill himself than badmouth an s&m game.

Ima go watch some mind numbing youtube poop viedo's so I'l be nice and stupid for brain.

Ha, then you didn't watch the whole vid, because I did badmouth this episode.
  • edited June 2010

ARE YOU KIDDING? I gave it a 9/10
  • edited June 2010

Wow this is awkward.... Erm.... I love your work? No but yeah I have been a little biased. I only watched your TTG reviews. I watched your Tales of monkey island reviews, and you were way too kind in some parts.

But I have been proven wrong because I am taking your word for it that you dislike the video.

okay.....

One free punch.
  • edited June 2010
    ARE YOU KIDDING? I gave it a 9/10

Oh, I didn't realize the whole world was supposed to agree with what they like in video games. I'll go change my review real quick.

My review was positive, I just didn't like it as much as the other episodes.
  • edited June 2010
    Shit, man. That's incredibly spoilery...

Yeah, I don't like to venture beyond the first act in any concrete details I put in my reviews. You can share how you feel about something without showing it, or even talking about it in detail. I understand the video review nature means you don't want to repeat a lot of footage, but I know personally I wouldn't have wanted to know about the shift that occurs half-way through the episode before playing. My favorite kind of review is something I can read before playing and get excited, then re-read after playing and understand some of the finer points addressed.

Not trying to call you out Zeitgeist. I'm just saying that I try to handle things differently.
  • edited June 2010
    KLind wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't like to venture beyond the first act in any concrete details I put in my reviews. You can share how you feel about something without showing it, or even talking about it in detail. I understand the video review nature means you don't want to repeat a lot of footage, but I know personally I wouldn't have wanted to know about the shift that occurs half-way through the episode before playing. My favorite kind of review is something I can read before playing and get excited, then re-read after playing and understand some of the finer points addressed.

Not trying to call you out Zeitgeist. I'm just saying that I try to handle things differently.

Yup no problem. If every reviewer did everything identical, there would be no point for multiple reviewers. We all have our own style, some like it, some don't.
  • edited June 2010
    KLind wrote: »

Reviews aren't there to get you excited though, they exist to inform on the quality of something. If the half-way shift is something the reviewer thinks needs commenting on, I see no reason why it can't be mentioned. If you're being vague about it to the detriment of the actual analysis, then what's the point? I don't think huge plot points should be mentioned, but, for example, something like naming a character has to be done else the reader is in the dark as to who you mean.

Just my take. As Zeitgeit says above, we all have our own style.

To address the main post, I enjoyed your video review. Very professional and some good points raised.
  • edited June 2010
    Pinchpenny wrote: »
    Reviews aren't there to get you excited though, they exist to inform on the quality of something. If the half-way shift is something the reviewer thinks needs commenting on, I see no reason why it can't be mentioned. If you're being vague about it to the detriment of the actual analysis, then what's the point? I don't think huge plot points should be mentioned, but, for example, something like naming a character has to be done else the reader is in the dark as to who you mean.

To address the main post, I enjoyed your video review. Very professional and some good points raised.

Thank you much.
  • edited June 2010
    Pinchpenny wrote: »

YOU CAN'T HANDLE HIS STYLE. NO YOU CAN'T, NO YOU CAN'T (UH) HANDLE HIS STYLE.

Sorry. Strong Bad wanted me to let him onto the computer, and this is what happened.
  • edited June 2010
    I watched it before playing the game and it's not very spoilery-y-y.
    I was actually glad to know beforehand that the most annoying part of the episode will not be longer than about 30 Minutes which it really was in the end (29 minutes for me)
  • edited June 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I watched it before playing the game and it's not very spoilery-y-y.
    I was actually glad to know beforehand that the most annoying part of the episode will not be longer than about 30 Minutes which it really was in the end (29 minutes for me)

tbh when I started the episode and the interrogation I feared that the whole episode would consist of this (sounds stupid I know). I didn't hate the interrogation though... I welcomed the new gameplay variation. I thought it fit into the episode well and was good to see another side to Sam.
  • edited June 2010
    Sounds like a pretty fair review, somewhat similar to my own opinions, if not a bit more forgiving.

Also watched your Alpha Protocol one, and have to agree with you there...
  • edited June 2010
    Fair reasoning on what you liked/disliked about the game in this review, but WAAY too spoilery.

This video review will ruin it for the people who are just curious to know if its any good without having anything plot-wise given away.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.