Controls in Season 3

JTZJTZ
edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
Recently, I have played the demo of Season 3 to see if I should buy it. At first I was content since the humor was great. But when it actually came to moving Sam, I thought the game was kidding me:

Moving a control stick with the mouse? That is even worse then the fishy keyboard controls of Monkey Island 4!

Seriously, why abondoning the old mouse controls? It's nice to make the game more accessable for the consoles, but not if the PC version suffers from it :/

So after Tales of MI, the second Telltale "game" I won't buy because of bad controls. It's such a shame - anyone here agreeing with me?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I prefer to use WASD or a gamepad to play The Devil's Playhouse, click and drag is my least favorite control scheme, but still functional. I prefer WASD + mouse to everything else. :)
  • edited June 2010
    I vastly prefer the WASD + mouse combo. In S1 of Sam and Max, which is entirely mouse controlled if I recall, I was constantly accidentally activating things or entering or leaving areas because I was trying to more finely move Sam.

Click to move is my bane in all but top-down perspective RPGs.
  • edited June 2010
    yeah the WASD is the way to go in both Devils Playhouse and MI. They actually work well believe it or not
  • edited June 2010
    JTZ wrote: »
    So after Tales of MI, the second Telltale "game" I won't buy because of bad controls. It's such a shame - anyone here agreeing with me?

Why is "game" in quotes? It's still a game whether you like the controls or not.
  • edited June 2010
    I am personally in favour of the click'n'drag, even more so than the classic point'n'click. I just found it such an effort to get to one side of a scene to another in the previous sam&max games when it came to clicking every 5 seconds or so.
    Each to their own I spose. Not everybody can be satisfied.
  • edited June 2010
    and I noticed one thing, Season 2 in a way had click and drag. In each of those games I did not have to keep clicking to get everywhere.
  • edited June 2010
    I am getting used to click and drag now he icon is looking a bit better.
  • edited June 2010
    PS3 has pretty darn near perfect control for a console for TDP if you wish (and are able) to partake of it, but I'm pretty sure (if I remember correctly) point n'click made for some unnecessary hassles and limitations development-wise so I welcome the change. Feels really weird to go back to S1 and 2 now.

I dunno, I'd say play the demo some more and see if you adapt to the controls, it might take a bit more though since I'm not sure the demo has too many open areas to run about in.
  • JTZJTZ
    edited June 2010
    Why is "game" in quotes? It's still a game whether you like the controls or not.

The quotes are referring to the fact both TMI and Season 3 are packages of five games and not two individual products.

I wasn't expecting so many people had trouble with the standard mouse controls of normal adventures, or that they like WASD movement... or are you guys just glorifying the game?

Personally, I don't want to get used to a control scheme. It has to be intuitive and natural, but in the demo it seemed rather forced.

Whatever, you guys enjoy it if you want. There are better alternatives on the market for me ;)
  • edited June 2010
    JTZ I can just imagine what you thought that last reply would accomplish.

"Man, I can't possibly imagine anyone would have different control preferences from my own. That can't be feasible! I know, I'll imply they're fanboys first, before smugly informing them that I'm taking my business elsewhere. That'll show 'em!"

Anyways. What I like about WASD is that it lets me focus on moving Sam about (usually keeping my pinky finger on the left shift key so he'll run) which frees up my right hand to point around and click on things. This considerably smooths the gameplay for me. Though I'll agree that older control schemes should at least be an option, unless there has been an engine change that would not make it feasible.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't get the problem last I checked point n click, WASD/Arrow keys AND click n drag all worked to move?
  • edited June 2010
    no. I hope the list of games you will not buy because you are butthurt about the controls will get really long in the future.
    I wasn't expecting so many people had trouble with the standard mouse controls of normal adventures, or that they like WASD movement... or are you guys just glorifying the game?
    I cannot get back to point & click. The Keyboard-controls are so much better. Oh but I don't use WSAD. I use the arrow keys.
  • edited June 2010
    I prefer using an Xbox 360 controller to play the game. I also like how all the icons change to match the Xbox's buttons.
  • edited June 2010
    I prefer using an Xbox 360 controller to play the game. I also like how all the icons change to match the Xbox's buttons.

...unless you have the wireless 360 controller. :(
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    ...unless you have the wireless 360 controller. :(

Sorry! Someday... :(
  • edited June 2010
    What pisses me off about the WASD control is that to run you need to press shift.
    Try using the WASD and Shift with the same hand and see how it goes... You need one hand on RShift and another to move sam or you can use the annoying mouse dragging...
    Personaly, I'd give up on the whole full 3d envourments for the simpler control of the first two seasons. Same goes for MI, the controls were just as inconvinient there.
  • edited June 2010
    Use the arrowkeys then. pressing shift & moving is much more comfortable with them.
  • edited June 2010
    Ophenix wrote: »
    What pisses me off about the WASD control is that to run you need to press shift.
    Try using the WASD and Shift with the same hand and see how it goes... You need one hand on RShift and another to move sam or you can use the annoying mouse dragging...

Use your pinky finger to hold down L-shift (and thus run) and your ring finger for left movement. There, one hand. This is standard WASD movement in a lot of games, particularly ones where the mouse is an independent function from moving.
  • edited June 2010
    Use your pinky finger to hold down L-shift (and thus run) and your ring finger for left movement. There, one hand. This is standard WASD movement in a lot of games, particularly ones where the mouse an an independent function from moving.

I always thought using pinky for run was something that people just naturally would do. I guess not. :(

It just feels perfectly natural to control it like that, since your fingers are roughly positioned exactly the right way to hit L-Shift and WASD comfortably without moving your hand from a resting position at all.
  • edited June 2010
    The quotes are referring to the fact both TMI and Season 3 are packages of five games and not two individual products.

I believe the word you were looking for would be "series" in this case.

And, no offense intended, but you do seem to be inordinately distressed over the control shift in such a way that I have to presume that you have more hangups when it comes to TDP than just the controls.
    I always thought using pinky for run was something that people just naturally would do. I guess not. :(

It's my natural inclination, but it does cause some rather terrible hand cramping, would be neat if you could WASD+RMouseButton to run as well as WASD+shift.
  • edited June 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    It's my natural inclination, but it does cause some rather terrible hand cramping.

I've played MMOs, which almost exclusively use WASD movement (and just about every key on the keyboard within 6 inches of them), for hours and hours on end without even the slightest amount of pain, so I am unfamiliar with this experience. :p
  • edited June 2010
    I've played MMOs, which almost exclusively use WASD movement (and just about every key on the keyboard within 6 inches of them), for hours and hours on end without even the slightest amount of pain, so I am unfamiliar with this experience. :p

I tend to believe that MMO must release some pretty heavy of amounts of dopamine (given the sometimes disturbing level of nothing when it comes to movement), but I've had a series of hand smashing incidents so I've probably got some phalanges issues as it is.
  • edited June 2010
    When I bought ToMI it took something like 5 minutes to learn the click'n'drag. After completing it I had adapted to it so well that I even tried using it in the next adventure game I played till I remembered that it's point'n'click.

Personally I don't mind that much about controlling method and I can adapt to almost anything. Those who claim that point'n'click is the only alternative for adventure game are wrong. In the first adventure games I played (and still love) you moved your character with arrow keys and typed everything you wanted to do into a parser.
  • edited June 2010
    You put your 5 fingers like this:

Shift, S, W, D, Spacebar.

Use the mouse with second hand.

Of course, S&M3 doesn't use spacebar, but many other games using WASD do.

Can keep it up for hours at an end.

(I can't believe I needed to tell someone how to put their hand on their keyboard.)
  • edited June 2010
    You put your 5 fingers like this:

Shift, S, W, D, Spacebar.

Use the mouse with second hand.

Of course, S&M3 doesn't use spacebar, but many other games using WASD do.

Can keep it up for hours at an end.

(I can't believe I needed to tell someone how to put their hand on their keyboard.)

I think you mean A W D. S W D would be really awkward.
  • edited June 2010
    Oops. Typo.

Yeah, A W D.

My bad...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.