Back to the Future 25th Anniversary DVD/Blu-ray release

edited July 2010 in Back to the Future
Check out the exhaustive specs. Looks like it's going to include everything from the already jam-packed 2002 release plus new stuff including some snippets of the infamous and still never-seen excised Eric Stoltz footage.

The release date is October 26th, which is likely a clue to when we'll get the episodes. Kind of hard to imagine that Telltale/Universal wouldn't try to roughly synchronize the launch of the new games with this.

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    The release date is October 26th, which is likely a clue to when we'll get the episodes.

Impossible. That's not "winter", not even close. ;)
    January 2011, more likely.
  • edited June 2010
    Cool! I got the 02 set when they came out, and I might just have to get this one too! The footage of Eric Stoltz could be interesting... lol, who am I kidding, I got to see this! Too bad i cant get both Blu-Ray and DVD in one box.
  • edited June 2010
    Guess it's time for me to upgrade my collection to bluray!
    edited June 2010
    ...and time for me to actually buy a blu-ray-player. :D

There's no German version announced as of yet. If this doesn't change very soon, I'll get the UK version. I would have liked to have both languages on the blu-ray, as the German version is obviously the one my brother and I grew up with.
  • edited July 2010
    Aww i sooo want to get the Blu-Ray version, but ive got a 4 Disc Ultimate edition, Of back to the future on DVD, which has never been opened
  • edited July 2010
    Will buy. I also wish George Lucas wasn't so slow on the blu-ray front. I'd like to buy blu-ray editions of all the Star Wars movies (preferrably in a boxed set), and the original Indiana Jones trilogy (or one that includes the last one as well).
    edited July 2010
    Well, here we go.

Now there's a German version announced (with English language also, of course), but there's no collector's tin box (which I'd LOVE to own). Instead, there's a version with a miniature DeLorean. Nice try, guys, but there are so many high-quality models out there that this thing can only be massive cr** in comparison.

The decision not to release a tin box in Germany is probably connected to last year's new laws concerning minimum viewer age labelling on movie DVDs, Blu Ray and games. These new labels are exactly the same as the old ones, but now they have to be HUGE by law. The tin box would have to bear this ugly, immediate-attention-stealing thing, ruining its appearance (and possibly sales). :(
  • edited July 2010
    If it's the same as the 2002 version but with some new things, it's just another cheap way for Universal to make money off of Back to the Future, in Blu-Ray no less!! I mean honestly, how many times can one company make DVDs for a single movie.

I have no problem with it, however the fact that they continue to release the same thing with 7% better quality and about 10 or 6 different DVD features kind of ticks me off.

But anyway on a real subject, I think for the "Winter" thing, the Episodes will probably be out sometime from late December to early January.
    edited July 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    I have no problem with it, however the fact that they continue to release the same thing with 7% better quality and about 10 or 6 different DVD features kind of ticks me off.

The movies have been dirt-cleaned for this edition, preserving the grain. I'm not sure if this looks more than 7% better on DVD, but it sure looks a whoooole lot better on Blu Ray, and this release is obviously all about Blu Ray! Bob Gale was even quoted saying that it looks better than it originally did in the cinema. From other sources, I also stumbled over the comment that the level of detail could actually ruin the experience, as you'd now be able to clearly see the rubber masks on the main protagonists. ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I'm pretty sure that once this set is out I won't need a new edition for a looooong time.
  • edited July 2010
    Worth pointing out that there's a special tin edition that comes with a ridiculous amount of goodies, including A Delorean blueprint, An 'Outatime' number plate, The Sports Almanac, Save The Clocktower poster & A Lenticular photo of Marty's family and "more".

(only in the UK thus far, but I'd guess it'll be available elsewhere.)
    http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/15572445/Back-To-The-Future-Trilogy-Limited-Edition-Collectors-Tin/Product.html
  • edited July 2010
    I hate double dipping, and dont usually go in for it, but this set looks really good. However I'd be 100% inclined to buy it if that Special Edition Tin is available in the USA
  • edited July 2010
    Worth pointing out that there's a special tin edition that comes with a ridiculous amount of goodies, including A Delorean blueprint, An 'Outatime' number plate, The Sports Almanac, Save The Clocktower poster & A Lenticular photo of Marty's family and "more".

(only in the UK thus far, but I'd guess it'll be available elsewhere.)
    http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/15572445/Back-To-The-Future-Trilogy-Limited-Edition-Collectors-Tin/Product.html

Aaaw, why did you have to post that? *stares at dwindling bank account*
    I don't actually want the blu-rays. The films weren't filmed in HD, so the HD won't be that great. Not much more than i get when playing the DVD in my blu-ray player, which upscales it. I might just pick up the goodies on ebay in the future.
  • edited July 2010
    I think the game will also be released when the blu ray is! ..well I hope lol
  • edited July 2010
    do any of you guys (or girls) know about how this works? Is the blu ray going to be a True HD version of the movie? They like to throw around words like 'newly done and restored HD Transfer' and all that, but how does it really compare with the DVDs being used in a DVD player that up-converts?
  • edited July 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    The films weren't filmed in HD, so the HD won't be that great.

The resolution of analogue film is much, much higher than HD. If they went back to the original film and remastered/cleaned up that then it would look great.
  • edited July 2010
    It will look really good and crystal clear quality! I cant wait till it gets released!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.