Custom Monkey Island Icons

2»

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Someone should make a version of the VGA-sprite Guybrush from SMI from the actual EGA version.
  • edited July 2010
    egaguybrush.png egaguybrush1.png

Guybrush on the left is taken straight from the PC EGA version of SoMI.

Guybrush on the right was touched up a bit in the face and drawstrings to create a cleaner look that in some ways better matched the screenshot I got of VGA Guybrush (which has not been touched up.)

Also, both the EGA and VGA screenshots were taken from in front of Melee Town square, but while VGA Guybrush's head is in front of the shadows from the buildings, EGA Guybrush is standing more to the left, outside of the shadows (nearer to the MoLMF) because there is much less ground detail in the shadows there in EGA.
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    vgaguybrush.png
  • edited July 2010
    Heres my attempt at Spiffy:

Spiffy.png
  • edited July 2010
    How did you adjust the opacity of the edges of his bone like that?
  • edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Heres my attempt at Spiffy:

Spiffy.png

I unjaggeddyfied the edges here

0dc07096d0ca8148b9942452fda5e8426g.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    I dont know why the edges always go jagged when I make them.
  • edited July 2010
    I dont know why the edges always go jagged when I make them.

The image format, by any chance?
  • edited July 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    The image format, by any chance?

Im not sure coz everyone else has been uploading pngs that seem to be fine.
  • edited July 2010
    maybe it's your image editor?
  • edited July 2010
    maybe it's your image editor?

I think it may be caused from when I remove the white background.
  • edited July 2010
    I think it may be caused from when I remove the white background.

that never happens to me
  • edited July 2010
    that never happens to me

Well I have no idea then, I just take it into photoshop, add whatever I want in the icon to the layer below the flag icon, I then remove the white with the magic wand.
  • edited July 2010
    Well I have no idea then, I just take it into photoshop, add whatever I want in the icon to the layer below the flag icon, I then remove the white with the magic wand.

hmmmm... that's exactly what i do...
  • edited August 2010
    As I haven't used Photoshop in ages I don't remember where or how, but I do know that the Magic Wand has a Feather option somewhere, and that it's used to soften up the jagged edges that it normally makes if there is no Feather on.
  • edited August 2010
    I've discovered something interesting, frustrating and disturbing.

The original versions of SoMI were made in a 640x400 resolution. Not 640x480.

What this means is that the "Aspect Ratio Correction" option in ScummVM, when checked, stretches the image to fit a 480 pixel high resolution, but that also means that the images ingame are 20% taller than originally designed. I have confirmed this by also running EGA SoMI in DOSBox without specifying any resolution settings.

hpim0739h.jpg hpim0740.jpg
    ScummVM: SoMI EGA without ratio correction
    ScummVM: SoMI EGA with ratio correction

It also means that SoMI:SE's Classic Mode also stretches the original image to fit the screen. It just goes about it a bit differently than ScummVM does (similar to how it affects images differently in Photoshop when you resize using a different resample method.)

image11jw.pngimage12xr.png

ScummVM: SoMI VGA without ratio correction
    SoMI:SE Classic Mode

It also means... *sigh*... that I'm going to have to redo my sprite icons on here.

Indicentally, the VGA sprite icon I made came from SE classic mode.
  • edited August 2010
    I've discovered something interesting, frustrating and disturbing.

The original versions of SoMI were made in a 640x400 resolution. Not 640x480.

What this means is that the "Aspect Ratio Correction" option in ScummVM, when checked, stretches the image to fit a 480 pixel high resolution, but that also means that the images ingame are 20% taller than originally designed. I have confirmed this by also running EGA SoMI in DOSBox without specifying any resolution settings.

hpim0739h.jpg hpim0740.jpg

It also means that SoMI:SE's Classic Mode also stretches the original image to fit the screen. It just goes about it a bit differently than ScummVM does (similar to how it affects images differently in Photoshop when you resize using a different resample method.)

hpim0741.jpg

It also means... *sigh*... that I'm going to have to redo my sprite icons on here.

Indicentally, the VGA sprite icon I made came from SE classic mode.

I actually think a stretched guybrush looks better, taller, you know?
  • edited August 2010
    I actually think a stretched guybrush looks better, taller, you know?

Well, decide here:

vgaguybrush.png gbvga.png
    Stretched (in SE)
    Original Ratio

and here:

egaguybrush.png gbega.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM)
    Original Ratio
    (not cleaned up)

Remember how I said before that I had to clean up that image a bit? This is why.

EDIT: Apparently this also applies to LeChuck's Revenge (it was developed in 640x400 res.)

So, while you're at it, decide here:

lcr2.png lcr1a.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM)
    Original Ratio

and here:
    lcr2a.pnglcr1.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM)
    Original Ratio
  • edited August 2010
    I was wondering why some of the pixels looked a little off. It looks like they did a good job of correcting for it in the SE, but all the other sprites were noticeably a bit off. I'll take the original ratio. Thanks for updating them.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, decide here:

vgaguybrush.png gbvga.png
    Stretched (in SE)
    Original Ratio

and here:

egaguybrush.png gbega.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM)
    Original Ratio
    (not cleaned up)

Remember how I said before that I had to clean up that image a bit? This is why.

EDIT: Apparently this also applies to LeChuck's Revenge (it was developed in 640x400 res.)

So, while you're at it, decide here:

lcr2.png lcr1a.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM)
    Original Ratio

and here:
    lcr2a.pnglcr1.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM)
    Original Ratio

I'd say the SoMI ones look better stretched, while the MI2 ones look better in the original ratio.
  • edited August 2010
    The only reason it looks bad stretched is from the anti-aliasing from ScummVM. If the screenshot was taken from a higher resolution, the in-between lines would either be smaller, or in some cases non-existant, which makes it look alot better.
  • edited October 2010
    Today I got irritated that none of my Monkey Island icons matched so I made some new ones. I didn't realize someone had posted a layout with Telltale's icon shape so I just did mine with circles. :( Now it seems boring.

Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition
    mi1.png

Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge - Special Edition
    mi2.png

Curse of Monkey Island
    mi3.png

Escape from Monkey Island
    mi4.png

Tales of Monkey Island
    mi5.png

Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    mi5-1.png

The Siege of Spinner Cay
    mi5-2.png

Lair of the Leviathan
    mi5-3.png

The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    mi5-4.png

Rise of the Pirate God
    mi5-5.png
  • edited October 2010
    What's wrong? I like those. They look good.
  • edited October 2010
    Very nicely done.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm reorganizing my game icon folder structure a bit, and made these:

ttg.png

lec.png

sierray.png

autumnmoon.png
  • edited October 2011
    The default Curse of Monkey Island icon is Murray when it's small, and the coin interface with the game title when it's medium to large. I like Murray better, so I made a large Murray icon instead.

DRExm.png
  • edited October 2011
    Looks too pixelized. You could try tracing it in Adobe Illustrator or a similar program, since Murray is a quite simple shape, with no gradients.
  • edited October 2011
    picture.php?albumid=329&pictureid=2195

skeltion : gaze apond the horror of SKULL ISLAND

guybrush: thats a duck!
  • edited November 2011
    I have a question: how do I place the image icon into the template? I want to place an image I have made into a template. Hope this doesn't disturb you.
  • edited November 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    I have a question: how do I place the image icon into the template? I want to place an image I have made into a template. Hope this doesn't disturb you.

You need an image editor that allows transparency, and preferably also layers. I have Corel Paint Shop Pro (as it is considerably less expensive than Photoshop). MSPaint doesn't observe transparency, so you can't use that.

First, open the template and the other image in question in your image editor.
    4yIFa.png

Resize the second image to whatever size is needed, then copy and paste it as a new layer into the image of the template.
    1SK3S.png

Next, reorder the layers so that the template image is on top.QCZAd.png

Optional: If you wish to have a section of the image that protrudes from the edge of the border, you must re-copy/paste the desired section of the second image in as a new layer and put this layer on top of the template layer.

Now, merge the layers together.
    Z2zue.png

Use the Magic Wand tool (with anti-alias enabled and an acceptable level of tolerance) and select the white area (and only the white area) around the outside of the template.2ORuT.png

Delete it.
    3qwkC.png

Optional: you may also invert the selection (ie. select the part of the image that is not transparent) and Crop to Selection, which removes the excess amount of transparent border.
    3BMoY.png

Resize the image (while preserving the aspect ratio) and then the canvas size, so that the image size is 256x256 (the largest icon size), and Save As (or Export to) PNG.

Post the resultant image on these forums so we can see it.
    TqaoQ.png

When you want to convert it to an icon file, go to www.iconverticons.com to do so very easily.N9rNy.png
  • edited November 2011
    Thanks. And you saved this image for me! I'm so happy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.