Yesterday's BTTF date hoax

edited August 2010 in Back to the Future
So, my brother in law asks me yesterday what date in the future Marty & Doc travel to.

I say, "Some day in October 2015, isn't it?"

He says "No, July 5 2010!"

Aside: Last week he told me the actor that played Gabe Kotter died during filming of Welcome Back Kotter, so he has a shaky grasp of reality. (He's probably helping a Nigerian King shift tens of millions of dollars right now).

Knowing it's not worth correcting him or looking things up as it makes me look smug, I just rolled with it and so we discussed 3D movies and hoverboards.

Of course today I see where he got his idea from, some twitter induced frenzy.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/great-scott-back-to-the-future-fans-fooled-20100707-zzvp.html

So there you go Telltale, this franchise is ripe for viral marketing... to idiots. :p

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I saw that and I wondered where that came from as I know 2010 as a date to travel to wasn't stated, apart from Doc mentioning he was planning to travel forward 25 years or so.
  • edited July 2010
    I saw that and I wondered where that came from as I know 2010 as a date to travel to wasn't stated, apart from Doc mentioning he was planning to travel forward 25 years or so.

He definitely says he is going to 25 years, because he specifically states he will get to see who the next 25 winners of the world series are. But it is October when the movie is taking place and there is no mention of going to July, other than when he says he could go to see the signing of the declaration of independence (of course that wouldn't be July 5 anyway).
  • edited July 2010
    I suppose if we assume he was planning to go exactly 25 years into the future, then we can celebrate this "milestone" on October 26 this year, since it was October 26 that he was leaving from.
  • edited July 2010
    I can't believe how big this got. This really shows the true fans from the fake ones :D.
  • edited July 2010
    It's mentioned several times in part 2 that they are in 2015.
  • edited July 2010
    Steve2000 wrote: »
    He definitely says he is going to 25 years, because he specifically states he will get to see who the next 25 winners of the world series are. But it is October when the movie is taking place and there is no mention of going to July, other than when he says he could go to see the signing of the declaration of independence (of course that wouldn't be July 5 anyway).

At the end of part 1 a conversation between Doc and Marty revealed that he clearly was going 30 years in the future:

Marty: "So...how far ahead you goin'?"
    Doc: "'Bout...30 years? Seems like a nice round number."
    Marty: "Look me up when you get there..."

So anyone who actually believed the 2010 date is thoroughly confused.
  • edited July 2010
    Even if he had gone ahead to 2010 it wouldn't have been July 5th.
  • edited July 2010
    Even if he had gone ahead to 2010 it wouldn't have been July 5th.

Well, he did have a time machine, so..... he could have gone to whatever day he wanted :D

plrichard wrote:
    At the end of part 1 a conversation between Doc and Marty revealed that he clearly was going 30 years in the future:

Marty: "So...how far ahead you goin'?"
    Doc: "'Bout...30 years? Seems like a nice round number."
    Marty: "Look me up when you get there..."

So anyone who actually believed the 2010 date is thoroughly confused.

Yes, absolutely right. However, I was referring to the scene in the parking lot at the very beginning of the movie. The Doc first specifically says he will go forward 25 years. The joke at the end, in the scene you are quoting, is that he is now going to go 30 years because Marty just returned from 30 years in the past.

However, the point still stands that no where is it discussed going to July 5, so you are also correct that anyone who believed that date is confused. But, I can see where someone might think 2010 is a date the Doc was planning on visiting... since he was planning on visiting it before the whole movie played out and the plans were changed.
  • edited August 2010
    doc never said 25 years? he said 30 because it was a nice round number
  • edited August 2010
    I love how many novice fans fell for that. Anybody that truly is a fan knows the october date when he left from twin pines mall (later after he hit the tree it became lone pine mall) in hill valley.

1.21 Gigawats Great Scotts
  • edited August 2010
    or the eastwood ravine :P
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Jenna wrote: »
    doc never said 25 years? he said 30 because it was a nice round number

IIRC he says 25 years the first time -- before the Libyans show up. At the end, he says 30, a nice round number.
  • edited August 2010
    oh right , thanks Emily
Sign in to comment in this discussion.