Questions

edited January 2006 in Sam & Max
Hi! I have a few questions........

I read that the L.A. Sam and MAx game was cancelled just a few months before it's scheduled release date. It makes me wonder how much of the game was actually finished? Is the game sitting around on some computers over at Lucas arts? Are the files owned by Lucas Arts? Do they have a future?

About the new game... Will Lucasarts force you guys to make the new Sam And Max game devoid of anything even resembling their cancelled version? Could their arguement be that you are stealing the ideas from it? Will the Story line be similar? or will that cause legal problems?
I saw some concept art of the cancelled game and it had some really creative ideas (like the space station) and I'm kind of sad that it will never come to life.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    well, from what I've heard on the Mix N Mojo site, the game was said to be 90% complete. It was believed to be financial managers' paranoia over the cost of the box art.
  • edited January 2006
    The idea that the fans liked to think was that LucasArts was planning on spending huge amounts to market the game, and for some reason cancelled it rather than cutting the marketting budget. The truth is no one knows why the game was cancelled. Full Throttle 2, which was cancelled a few months before Freelance Police, was cut because everyone who saw it said it was terrible. However, FP was getting great feedback and so we will never know why it was cancelled. Perhaps LucasArts really did think it wasn't a good market for adventures and it wasn't worth the money to produce and ship the game, even though they'd be taking a big loss on the development.

I suppose Telltale can't make the game blatanly similar storywise, but I'm sure they'll come up with something good, especially since they're working with series creator Steve Purcell on the story and design.
  • edited January 2006
    I'm sure the work they put into the game would benefit them when making another one though...
  • edited January 2006
    I guess it'll be like...practice.

Hopefully it looks as good or if not better then the screenshots and trailer I've seen of FP
  • edited January 2006
    FP would be a nearly two year old game if it had been released, so I'm sure there have been some graphical upgrades.
  • edited January 2006
    but thew budget won't be as much. or will that make a difference?
  • edited January 2006
    I doubt that will make any difference at all.
  • edited January 2006
    If Telltale's looks as good as the cancelled LucasArts one, I'll be very pleased. While teh LucasArts one is/would've been a few years old by now, their game would have been delivered on CD Rom(s).

Telltale's will be packed into a downloadable installer, so I wouldn't expect huge graphical improvements.
  • edited January 2006
    Not sure if you guys have seen this already but... This may amuse you.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.