Anyone else think Dominic Armato

edited July 2010 in Back to the Future
could probably pull off a passable Marty McFly impersonation...

I bet he could do it... I have heard his demo reel he has pretty good range.. If they can not get Micheal J Fox... I think Dominic should go for it.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    *plays Monkey Island 2: Special Edition*

Yep, Dominic would be fine.

:)

His acting was incredible in MI2 and if he can stretch his voice that far in his demo, he can raise it a little bit for Marty McFly.
  • edited July 2010
    Now that I think about it... If they can't get Michael J Fox... Dom is clearly a great alternative for Marty... He could really nail it!
  • edited July 2010
    Some people don't think so, and maybe he couldn't, but I will say that he can stretch his voice and do more than just Guybrush Threepwood.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Yes, it's obviously the fault of the mods not making the "voices" thread a sticky. :D

Nonetheless, the Armato-as-Marty-paradigm has been discussed at length even on the second page of our voices thread. Please use it instead!
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, I'd love to see him playing characters other than Guybrush. :D And Matt Chapman, he's got AMAZING range, he should do stuff outside of Homestar Runner sometime.
  • edited July 2010
    Yes 100% Dominic would be perfect for Martys part that's if they can't get Fox to do it.:D
  • edited July 2010
    I don't know if Dom would do it. He's kinda in a semi-retired mode. But who knows, after so many Guybrush recording and having a hell of a time in Telltale, maybe he'll do it.

Come on, Dom! Get out of your comfort zone! :D
  • edited July 2010
    I have no doubt he could pull it off but the problem for me is - it would probably just seem silly as it would feel like Guybrush trying to act like McFly.

Dominic *is* Guybrush by now, at least to me :D
  • edited July 2010
    You know. I think he really could pull that off. He does have more voices than just Guybrush. Just that everybody knows he's Guybrush. Though I don't speak for him, judging by his latest interviews, he'd probably be happy to do it. You can tell he loves voice acting, and he'd give it his all.
  • edited July 2010
    I think Dominic sounds a lot like Michael J. Fox's Marty Mcfly if he shifts his voice a little higher. He'd be perfect.
  • edited July 2010
    Armakuni wrote: »
    I have no doubt he could pull it off but the problem for me is - it would probably just seem silly as it would feel like Guybrush trying to act like McFly.

Dominic *is* Guybrush by now, at least to me :D

Guybrush and Dominic share a pretty similar voice, that's the thing; but listen to this (mp3). That's all Dominic.
  • JMCJMC
    edited July 2010
    I think it's a damn fine idea. It doesn't matter if he voices Guybrush either. Just look at Billy West. He has voiced many characters through out his career from Ren & Stimpy to Futurama and has made each one his own.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah def Dom. I couldn't see Mickey J jumping on board for a video game as it's probably a bit too small-time considering Back to The Future's 20-odd years old.

Dom however, would be a great fit :)
  • edited July 2010
    I object. It'd just sound like Guybrush Threepwood doing a MJF impression. Get a different actor.
  • edited July 2010
    you must not have heard his demo reel he has more talent than that
  • edited July 2010
    Dom definitely has talent. I just think Michael J. Fox's voice is too specific, people would hear in an instance that it's not him.
    If they'd get someone lik James Arnold Taylor though, who's known for his Michael J. Fox voice.... (That's an odd sentance...)
    A heck, just get Michael, tell him that everyone who buys the game donates a dollar to the Michael J. Fox Foundation!
  • edited July 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    you must not have heard his demo reel he has more talent than that

Set your fanboyism aside, there are other people out there who could pull off a better MJF impersonation.
  • edited July 2010
    Set your fanboyism aside, there are other people out there who could pull off a better MJF impersonation.

While I agree with you...his statement was entirely true. I just got done listening to his demo tape...he's got a hell of a lot more talent than you're giving him credit for.
  • edited July 2010
    I think those doubting Dom Armato's ability to play Marty don't fully appreciate that voice actors can change their vocal range as well as put on accents.

I reckon if Dom did Marty, he'd sound different enough from Guybrush for us not to notice. Either way, they don't sound that dissimilar in the first place.
  • edited July 2010
    Joop wrote: »
    A heck, just get Michael, tell him that everyone who buys the game donates a dollar to the Michael J. Fox Foundation!
    I'd be up for that, even a few..... Hardly to happen though but still
  • edited July 2010
    When a new actor takes over a role originated by someone else, they shouldn't just be "doing an impression". I think that's a recipe for disappointment, because no matter how good they are, they still can't be the original. I think it's better for an actor to play to their own strengths and make the role their own, so the fans end up appreciating both for what they are. (Well, some fans, at least. There will always be people who hate anyone who isn't the original actor, no matter what you do!)

Point being, I think it's misguided to argue whether Dominic (or any actor) can do a perfect impression of MJF, because pulling off a perfect impression isn't the same as delivering a great performance anyway. A character is more than just a set of vocal chords.
  • edited July 2010
    Agreed. It's about becoming Marty, not about mimicking Michael J Fox.

There is a subtle difference.
  • edited July 2010
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    I think those doubting Dom Armato's ability to play Marty don't fully appreciate that voice actors can change their vocal range as well as put on accents.

I reckon if Dom did Marty, he'd sound different enough from Guybrush for us not to notice. Either way, they don't sound that dissimilar in the first place.

Actually I make a living changing vocal range and have been training recognising this since the age of 3.
    Dominic has lots of talent, I listened to his demo and it's really good. I just don't think he's a Marty.
    Even if he would do it, I doubt he'd get the full Guybrush out of his voice, the characters voices are too close together. I wouldn't want Marty to sound anything like Guybrush Threepwood.
  • edited July 2010
    Joop wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Marty to sound anything like Guybrush Threepwood.

You must press mute whenever he speaks in the movies then.
  • edited July 2010
    You must press mute whenever he speaks in the movies then.

Or you should get some of the sawdust out of your ears. Marty's voice is a lot more raspy, like he's just hit puberty. Guybrush has a softer voice with a kind of naïvity in it. I'm not saying Michael J. Fox wouldn't have been a good Guybrush back in the day, just that he doesn't sound like Guybrush Threepwood, but if Dominic were to voice him, he'd sound too much like him because it's in the same line of voice.
  • edited July 2010
    Dunno what you mean by sawdust, but I also never thought Marty was raspy.
  • edited July 2010
    No doubt Dom could do that job but then I'd be listening over-carefully to every single line he says as in to check if there's any moment in which a Guybrush tone comes through. And I wouldn't like that. I want to focus on the game itself.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, look where I found him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-yLhi6j6Uo

(Listen from 0:46)
  • edited July 2010
    I really think it would be cool and special for Michale J Fox to have one more chance to be in a Back To the Future title. My money would flood in, and I imagine the news would be larger than life. People would eat that up, he's a voice actor and as long as he's still doing voice acting he should be in this project if his character is.

Other wise, it's just not as big of an impact, as interesting, or as inspiring, if some random voice actor pretends to be him, that's just not news, just not exciting...it's not AWESOME like it would be if Marty was actually Marty.
  • edited July 2010
    I DISAGREE. James Arnold Taylor. Almost Johnny-on-the-Spot as i said in another post on here. Check him out (sorry Dom!) LOL
Sign in to comment in this discussion.