Season 1 CD release questions

edited January 2007 in Sam & Max
I'm planning on getting the Season 1 CD compilation when it comes out but I got a couple of questions.
First of all, and most important, will the season 1 disc be stand alone. What I mean by that is: Currently with the download versions of the episodes I have had to have an active internet connection to even get the game to start in a way that will let me play it all the way through. On episode 1 if I lost my internet connection, which tends to happen occassionally with my wireless network system, it goes into a demo version and I can only go around the office. So am I going to need an active connection to keep the CD versions running?
Second of all, does buying the Season CD count as a second legal copy of the game, not a backup copy, even with the download season?
The reasons for all this is because when the season CD is released I was thinking of taking that with my laptop to play on the road and keep my dowload versions on my PC, but I don't want to break laws or rules here.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Dose anybody know how much shipping would be to germany?
  • edited January 2007
    Whats the shipping price to the UK?

Hell, put up the full list please :D
  • edited January 2007
    Isn't it a bit early for shipping costs questions?

--Erwin
  • edited January 2007
    Who cares about shipping? It'll be a must-have masterpiece when it's done anyway ;)

Personally the only two things I desire on the Season CD is full quality audio instead of the super-compressed vox files, and no activation mechanisms.
    If people are going to be playing this in 14 years as they do with Sam & Max Hit The Road, you really don't want to be dependent on the Telltale server to authenticate your computer.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    On episode 1 if I lost my internet connection, which tends to happen occassionally with my wireless network system, it goes into a demo version and I can only go around the office. So am I going to need an active connection to keep the CD versions running?

The reason for this is that activation is based on the computer's hardware fingerprint, and in Culture Shock one of the things we were including for the activation system to check had to do with the internet device. It's not that you need to have a connection to play; the real problem is that your computer's hardware fingerprint is different when your wireless internet is turned on and when it's turned off, and the game deactivates when the fingerprint changes.

Anyway, long story short, this method of activation broke big time on Vista, so we've changed this for episode 2, and will also be rereleasing Culture Shock with the new method enabled. You shouldn't see this problem with episode 2, or the new version of Culture Shock when it comes out.

We have not made a decision yet about how the CD will be protected.
    Whats the shipping price to the UK?

Probably around $10.
  • edited January 2007
    Who cares about shipping? It'll be a must-have masterpiece when it's done anyway ;)

Personally the only two things I desire on the Season CD is full quality audio instead of the super-compressed vox files, and no activation mechanisms.
    If people are going to be playing this in 14 years as they do with Sam & Max Hit The Road, you really don't want to be dependent on the Telltale server to authenticate your computer.

Indeed, the shipping doesn't matter. :D And just by thinking about it that it's only going to contain this cd/dvd and probably some small nifty cover for it, it can't be too much. Anyone who bought the whole season can surely afford this few bucks when the time comes. ;)
  • edited January 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    We have not made a decision yet about how the CD will be protected.

Okay so what about my legal question of using the Season CD on one machine whilst the downloaded versions are on another?

I've already purchased the full season I'm just waiting until a preorder is available for the CD.
    edited January 2007
    Col_Shaggy wrote: »
    Okay so what about my legal question of using the Season CD on one machine whilst the downloaded versions are on another?

That's fine. And having the downloaded versions on more than one computer is fine, too.

We're not out to prevent people from enjoying the games they've paid good money for. Honest. :D

(Also, I fixed your quote tag. :))
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks!
    I got what I needed to know.
  • edited January 2007
    Will the game be modified to include some unified front-end that allows easy changing of episodes? Possibly even having the game segue through the episodes as you go.

All episodic games are forgoing the continuity of experience by having you drop to the desktop to change episodes. Telltale, buck the trend like you have done so far!
  • edited January 2007
    It would be great if Telltale were somehow able to integrate all the episodes on the CD (or is it DVD?). Sort of like the way Monkey Island takes you from chapter to chapter, Sam and Max will take you from Episode to Episode.

All you'd need is a little title screen between episodes. It should give you the option to save at the start of the episode or continue to play.
  • edited January 2007
    Whith the games being marketed as a 'series', it would be cool if they made a frontend akin to the menu on a 'TV-series DVD'. This would be both clever and usefull! ;)
  • edited January 2007
    Hmm, it would be nice and probably very easy to produce the possiblity to play through the episodes in order without swapping with different programs.

Also an universal menu would be very useful indeed, to access the episodes and all possible 'n countless extras, I hope. ;)
    edited January 2007
    We're considering some sort of DVD menu type thingie to navigate from game to game.
  • edited January 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    We're considering some sort of DVD menu type thingie to navigate from game to game.

A whack-a-rat ! Like the good old times ... :D
    (the rats standing still with a Tshirt of the episode number, not moving ones because that could be frustrating...)
  • edited January 2007
    ^ Awesome idea, BarfHappy :)
  • edited January 2007
    Better audio quality would rock... but i really really hope you will include the animated shorts on it when it's released.

It would be great if Telltale were somehow able to integrate all the episodes on the CD (or is it DVD?). Sort of like the way Monkey Island takes you from chapter to chapter, Sam and Max will take you from Episode to Episode.

All you'd need is a little title screen between episodes. It should give you the option to save at the start of the episode or continue to play.

That would rock as well.
  • edited January 2007
    might be a dumb one, but still...

Assuming you dont order the season before the CD is available.... can you still order the CD?

Im not sure if this will change my plans or not, mainly because I have enough games to finish, and I dont know when I will pull this one out... but it would be nice to hear a yes here.... a: open up the option (assuming patients), and b: Ive always liked having the CD (again, assuming patients).

Course as I said, I may jump in ahead of time simply cause I cant wait... but...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.