GTA: Hill Valley? Really?

edited August 2010 in Back to the Future
So... it seems like there are quite a few people on these forums and elsewhere who simply want Telltale to create a re-skinned Grand Theft Auto game set in Hill Valley. Really? Why? What exactly would you want or expect from such a game? Do you actually want a game that lets you do absolutely everything you can do in GTA, including attacking random pedestrians, running people over, stealing other people's cars, etc? Or do you just want a game that lets you drive the Dorlean and the hoverboard around and do crazy stunts off of buildings and set pieces from the movies? I admit this sounds like it would be fun to mess around with for a couple of minutes until the novelty wore off, but it isn't exactly in the spirit of the movies. Can you really imagine Doc and Marty -- or even Biff, for that matter -- suddenly flipping out and going on an insane rampage through Hill Valley?

Doesn't an adventure game where Doc and Marty solve story-based puzzles that make sense within the world of the movies sound like a much better fit for the franchise?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I think it's highly likely that telltale will make a puzzley character based adventure game. I think that most of the people on the forum would want this type of game also as it what telltale is good at and why most of the people are here I assume. I don't want to play a GTA style BTTF game.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, yeah. Telltale's definitely making an adventure game. I'm just asking why some people seem to want a GTA-style game and why they think such a game would suit the franchise.
  • edited July 2010
    I would be satisfied if Telltale re-engineered some of the Sam & Max driving sequences into BttF controllable flight sequences.
  • edited July 2010
    GTA games sucked bad........
  • edited July 2010
    Well, the fan-made GTA: Hill Valley was very well done, I thought. You have all these different cars (including KITT just for fun) and each Delorean (based on each of the movies) had different abilities and responded differently in situations. I don't necessarily agree that TT should go that direction, but I've had a lot of fun playing the the mod.
  • edited July 2010
    I dont want a GTA bttf game, Already played it lol. I think they are going to make the game like a adventure game, with some puzzle or quiz to solve to move on, maybe with some or all free roam so you can drive the delorean threw the town of hill valley and stop and look at the clock tower :D If they do have free roam in hill valley the game maybe be cartoon based I think, cause of the time and TT Mainly does cartoon games with puzzles and adventure solven
  • edited July 2010
    While there will no doubt be places to drive the delorean to, I will bet there is nothing even close to 'free roam' in the games. Thankfully
  • edited July 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    While there will no doubt be places to drive the delorean to, I will bet there is nothing even close to 'free roam' in the games. Thankfully

Well, know one knows for sure how game play will be, they could make it like ghostbusters with free roam, why not? the Game is Based on the movie Thats why its called back to the future, So it should follow the story line. which means free roam, there are lots of parts in the movie where you could have free roam. I hope its not like monkey island where you are stuck in a small area and have to solve a million things to move on. This is why some people decided to one day make a gta bttf mod and have the town of hill valley, the clock tower and delorean in it with free roam, so you can run around in the town and look at the clock tower as if you were in the movie, That is what back to the future fans want is to be a part of the movie in a game!
  • edited July 2010
    bttf1985cc wrote: »
    the Game is Based on the movie Thats why its called back to the future, So it should follow the story line. which means free roam, there are lots of parts in the movie where you could have free roam.

I think "following the storyline" means locking down where you're able to go and what you're able to do. It certainly doesn't automatically mean "Free roam".

As far as a free-roam BttF game is concerned, I'd only support free roam as long as it didn't involve driving--and certainly not flying--the DeLorean around in the past. In the future, and, to an extent, the present, I wouldn't have any problem.
  • edited July 2010
    the Game is Based on the movie Thats why its called back to the future, So it should follow the story line. which means free roam, there are lots of parts in the movie where you could have free roam.
    The Telltale Games are not going to follow the storyline(s) of the movies.
    I hope its not like monkey island where you are stuck in a small area and have to solve a million things to move on.

Well, that's the kind of game Telltale make, though they say they're changing the gameplay style somewhat for Jurassic Park, I'm pretty sure BTTF will be in a similar style to all the other Telltale episodic adventures.
    That is what back to the future fans want is to be a part of the movie in a game!
    No, they don't. They want a new story set in Hill Valley with their favourite characters. Trust me, I've asked them.
  • edited July 2010
    Who's asking for GTA?
  • edited July 2010
    Nobody's been asking for GTA, or a GTA clone, or anything that specific. GTA is just being thrown around because GTA3 was a pioneer of the "sandbox game" genre, in which you can roam freely around a city and do basically whatever you want. People want to freely explore Hill Valley (which would be hard to do, but very cool) and to travel freely to any time period (which would be pretty much impossible for any video game ever, since you'd have to basically include the entire history of the world).

I do hope that most of the major landmarks are visitable in each era that Telltale's series takes us to, but being able to freely roam throughout the city is a bit of a stretch. Being able to travel at will between two different time periods per episode would be great fun, although if you look at typical Back to the Future plots, it's likely that each episode will find the player "trapped" in one specific timeframe for the majority of each episode. Would be awesome if, at the very least, some kind of post-credits "Extended Play" mode, like in the Strong Bad series, would allow us to freely visit and explore each location from that episode.

Also, these new images from upcoming WiiWare game Retro City Rampage, which is a parody of the GTA series rendered as an NES game and sprinkled with pop culture references, are curiously relevant:

retrocityrampage719-01.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/retro-city-rampage-wiiware/#/15 (this humorously relevant image is too large to embed here)
  • edited July 2010
    The Telltale Games are not going to follow the storyline(s) of the movies.

Well, that's the kind of game Telltale make, though they say they're changing the gameplay style somewhat for Jurassic Park, I'm pretty sure BTTF will be in a similar style to all the other Telltale episodic adventures.

No, they don't. They want a new story set in Hill Valley with their favourite characters. Trust me, I've asked them.

maybe so on some points.. but, The key word is Hill Valley. Like I said in the last part of my msg, Bttf fans want to be able to see and look around in hill valley, hence having hill valley in the game.
  • edited July 2010
    2 things. 1. Back to the future doesn't work as gta, besides it ruins the point of the series. You can explore a city but if it's just 50s version or modern day version then it just sounds like mafia 1. Sure it's nice but you just ignore it and do the story.

2. Give telltale the chance to try new things, who knows. Maybe they could do something other than adventure games.
  • edited July 2010
    So... it seems like there are quite a few people on these forums and elsewhere who simply want Telltale to create a re-skinned Grand Theft Auto game set in Hill Valley. Really? Why? What exactly would you want or expect from such a game? Do you actually want a game that lets you do absolutely everything you can do in GTA, including attacking random pedestrians, running people over, stealing other people's cars, etc? Or do you just want a game that lets you drive the Dorlean and the hoverboard around and do crazy stunts off of buildings and set pieces from the movies? I admit this sounds like it would be fun to mess around with for a couple of minutes until the novelty wore off, but it isn't exactly in the spirit of the movies. Can you really imagine Doc and Marty -- or even Biff, for that matter -- suddenly flipping out and going on an insane rampage through Hill Valley?

Doesn't an adventure game where Doc and Marty solve story-based puzzles that make sense within the world of the movies sound like a much better fit for the franchise?

LuigiHann already addressed part of this. I doubt very many people want a "GTA: Hill Valley" game to the extent that you're thinking.

As for your last question...no, I think that an action game would be a better fit. Think about these key scenes from the BTTF trilogy: car chase around Twin Pines mall, skateboard chase, clock tower sequence, hoverboard chase, foot chase at Biff's Pleasure Paradise, getting the almanac back from Biff with the hoverboard, second hoverboard chase, several horse action scenes, train sequence, numerous fights, and some more mini chases. These are all action scenes, and many of them would translate quite well to video games. There could still be adventure game elements within a more action-based free-roaming game.

Anyway, the following is something I posted on another site in a related topic, ironically exactly one year ago today:
    Yea, it's incredibly obvious to make a licensed Back to the Future game GTA-style. Somebody has to get moving on that.

At least 4 different time periods in approximately the same area of land - 1885, 1955, 1985, 2015. Maybe throw another time period in for game plot purposes. I actually envision it taking place in 1986, so possibly move each era up a year. BttF is tied so much to "1985", that starting a new game or movie with that slow music and the subtitle "Saturday, October 25th [pause]... 1986" rather than '85 would induce a goosebumps feeling I cannot describe.

You can travel through time whenever and wind up in the same spot in whatever period you travel to, obviously, piece of cake. If the hardware is advanced enough they could possibly record some of the player's actions so that you could risk running into your "other self" if you dick around too much.

Much of the gameplay is so glaringly obvious, it's just sitting right there ripe for the picking. It starts off with you getting hold of a new DeLorean time machine (shouldn't be terribly difficult to figure out a story here - Doc writes a letter from the past saying that his family is in trouble and he had previously hidden a new time machine for Marty in case something like this ever arose, whatever). In the beginning, you're limited by the vehicle's capabilities. You need plutonium for travel so you have to find it and use it sparingly (this is obv the basis for some missions). You also need to find long enough stretches of road to get up to 88 MPH, sometimes while being chased or under time constraints, etc.

Eventually you are able to get some upgrades, Mr. Fusion (use garbage instead of plutonium) and flight added to the car.

All this, and I haven't even MENTIONED the word "hoverboard" yet.

Michael J. Fox can reprise his role since it's just voice. Obviously Christopher Lloyd would do it.

Jesus Christ get the **** on this.
  • edited July 2010
    2. Give telltale the chance to try new things, who knows. Maybe they could do something other than adventure games.

Yeah, they probably could. I for one, though, don't like Telltale unconditionally, and the whole reason I value them as a company is because they make adventure games. If they started making, say, platformers, I doubt they'd continue to grab my attention.
  • edited July 2010
    maybe so on some points.. but, The key word is Hill Valley. Like I said in the last part of my msg, Bttf fans want to be able to see and look around in hill valley, hence having hill valley in the game.

Yes, the games will be set in Hill Valley. There's no dispute over that.
  • edited July 2010
    BTTF should have a small city, but not like GTA, more like Mafia 2, very story driven.

Thats how i picture a cool BTTF story game, deep characters, driving in the car, time traveling and such just like the movies. Not just boring sandbox like GTA.

Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 shows and will show you can have a city with an extremly deep focused story.

I just really wanna drive delorean and time travel, that is whats so cool about the movie, and the car is so awesome, seriously, who in their right minds doesnt get on wet thinking about driving the delorean, thats what i dreamed about since seeing the first movie so many years ago xD.

Its like if you made a properly Terminator game (no company seems to have the brains for that) you would ofc wanna play either know humans from series or ofc Arnold the T800. Going around either in present or future.
  • edited July 2010
    How many minutes of each movie are spent driving the deLorean?
  • edited July 2010

Not more than 5.
  • edited July 2010
    The ideal BTTF game in my mind would be an open world (the only similarity to GTA) - Marty isn't a criminal, he doesn't steal cars or shoot people. But if it was an open world where you played through the story by going to different places, meeting characters from the film and helping them etc.
  • edited July 2010
    maxwood wrote: »
    The ideal BTTF game in my mind would be an open world (the only similarity to GTA) - Marty isn't a criminal, he doesn't steal cars or shoot people. But if it was an open world where you played through the story by going to different places, meeting characters from the film and helping them etc.

The game is almost certainly going to involve going to different places and talking to characters and doing interesting story-related things for and to them. But it won't be open world. You won't have to drive from place A to place B on your own; there will probably be a map or some such thing that will allow you to travel to just the important locations in the game. I imagine we'll get to see many of the key locations from the movies -- downtown Hill Valley, the clocktower, the high school, Marty's house, Doc's lab/mansion, etc. -- but Telltale isn't going to create a giant, fully explorable city to fill in the gaps.

Why do you want it to be open world anyway, if you don't want it to involve stealing cars and shooting people? The only reason sandbox games are fun is because they let you do crazy, outrageous things. But if the game isn't going to let Marty do anything out of character, then an open world would just mean a lot of boring driving and walking around.

I'd much rather Telltale devote their time and resources to key, interesting locations than boring filler environments that will have no relevance to the plot.
  • edited July 2010
    maxwood wrote: »

The problem with this is that in the film, Doc Brown tries to limit Marty’s actions by telling him he’s not to see or talk to anyone despite having already bumped into his parents. Therefore he is confined to what he can and cannot do, should and should not do for the sake of altering what he has already wronged.

The films are more plot driven than action driven allowing Doc Brown and Marty to think about things and plan how they will manipulate the situation rather than force it. They use their knowledge to make things progress more naturally rather than say, tell Marty’s parents that he’s from the future and Lorraine that she MUST fall in love with George McFly or Marty will cease to exist and/or kill Biff in some way to stop him from interfering.

So, if this game is to follow the same "feel" as the films, Marty must be confined to what he can do to a certain extent, or the game may start to loose its focus. But thats not to say that this game should be too "linear" either.
  • edited July 2010
    not that many.. driving the deLorean a lot of the time wouldn't fit at all. All you need it for is drive back and forth between timezones.
  • edited July 2010
    Masta23 wrote: »
    not that many.. driving the deLorean a lot of the time wouldn't fit at all. All you need it for is drive back and forth between timezones.

….unless the Delorean was also used in chase and escape sequences. For example, in Back to the future 2 when they follow Young Biff in 1955 reclaim the almanac. Granted it wasn’t a “chase” sequence per say as they weren't traveling at speed, but that idea could be incorporated into the game…….maybe. This way the Delorean would have more perpose than just traveling between time periods.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, but the point is some people seem to think BTTF is a movie about driving. Well they must do if they want a game that follows the movies where you spend most of your time driving all over in Hill Valley and through time in the delorian.

Telltale's likely approach, a story given game with tight narrative, is much closer to the movie experience than the open-sandbox-gta style game a certain sector seem to be clamouring for.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, but the point is some people seem to think BTTF is a movie about driving. Well they must do if they want a game that follows the movies where you spend most of your time driving all over in Hill Valley and through time in the delorian.

Telltale's likely approach, a story given game with tight narrative, is much closer to the movie experience than the open-sandbox-gta style game a certain sector seem to be clamouring for.

How many minutes of each movie are spent solving puzzles?
  • edited July 2010
    JuntMonkey wrote: »

The whole movie actually.
  • edited July 2010
    I see your point juntmonkey. There are a few parts of the movie where you could have/call it puzzle type of parts I guess... from a TT point of view. but, not in the whole movie Katsuro. The movie is action,adventure,comedy and sci fi! I would just hate to see the entire game made into a point and click puzzle, but, im not making it so... I will just have to trust TT just like how universal is that they will make a good bttf game! I hope we can see some clip art or any charater models sometime soon!
  • edited July 2010
    JuntMonkey wrote: »

Well he has to get in docs lab,puzzle, get to school, thats a puzzle, dont get caught by Strickland thats another one, play with his band another one, talk to jennifer another one, get home, talk with his family, get to the mall at 100, talk to doc, put the plutonium, drive fast another one...u get the idea...

I think some people think adventure games are like "open door" "solve puzzle fix the parts of the broken clock" thats like a 10% of AG puzzles, most are like "talk to x, and get them to like u", go to talk to his friend he tell u his weakness, his ipod, go to school and grab a ipod from x locker, call your girlfriend and meet her in the bar, talk to her, an try to get her drunk so she gives u her car keys, drive her home, go in the same car driving to x house, and give him his ipod, then he will tell u, that theres the song recorded by him 10 years ago, and that when he listenes to that songs remembers his brother that lives an hour from there...and then u go to his brothers house... trying to know him so he tells u something u need to know about x family, then your girlfriend calls an its mad, so u have to drive...etc etc"

u get the picture i hope...
  • edited July 2010
    And almost all of the action sequences in the movies involve Marty and Doc finding clever, adventure game-type solutions to problems.

When Marty's caught between Biff's car and the manure truck during the skateboard sequence in the first movie, he runs over the top of the car to safety. During the lightning storm sequence, when the cable comes unplugged the second time, Doc has to use the rope on the clock hands in order to quickly get back to the ground to plug it back in. During the hoverboard sequence in the second movie, Marty has to jump off of the hoverboard into the water to avoid Griff's gang. When he's running from Biff's goons in the alternate 1985, he hops onto the other staircase to throw them off. When he's back in 1955 and Biff's gang is about to jump the other Marty on stage, Marty unties the sandbags to knock them out. In the third movie Marty uses the stove door as a bullet proof vest. When Doc is climbing along the side of the train to save Clara, Marty sends him the hoverboard.

All of these could easily translate into puzzles using traditional point-and-click adventure game mechanics. There are very few straightforward action sequences in the movies.
  • edited July 2010
    yeah you could use all those parts of the movie, the question is can they make it fun and interesting like in the movie.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, it wouldn't be fun or interesting if they just recreated the exact scenes from the movies. That's why they're going to be creating new stories that still capture the spirit of the original movies, so that we can play as our favorite characters and overcome new obstacles and conflicts.
  • edited July 2010
    The game is almost certainly going to involve going to different places and talking to characters and doing interesting story-related things for and to them. But it won't be open world. You won't have to drive from place A to place B on your own; there will probably be a map or some such thing that will allow you to travel to just the important locations in the game. I imagine we'll get to see many of the key locations from the movies -- downtown Hill Valley, the clocktower, the high school, Marty's house, Doc's lab/mansion, etc. -- but Telltale isn't going to create a giant, fully explorable city to fill in the gaps.

Why do you want it to be open world anyway, if you don't want it to involve stealing cars and shooting people? The only reason sandbox games are fun is because they let you do crazy, outrageous things. But if the game isn't going to let Marty do anything out of character, then an open world would just mean a lot of boring driving and walking around.

I'd much rather Telltale devote their time and resources to key, interesting locations than boring filler environments that will have no relevance to the plot.

You make some good points. What I meant was more like if a character says "go and visit whoever, he's at the wherever" then you can just make your own way there, appreciate the environment design and feel like your more in the world.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, considering that there is already a GTA:VC mod for BTTF fans, something different in gaming style is very VERY welcome as long as they do it good. :-D
  • edited August 2010
    Stealing cars and killing people? xD ...This is Back to the Future, man.

The only times I can see those scenarios coming up is this:

1. Biff Tannen as a playable character, or someone relative.
    2. 1985-A or some alternate present/future gone awry, and chaos ensues.
    3. 1885, Medieval period, mafia-type scenario where getting away with brutality was kind of a necessity.

If anything else, you're limited to just punching or pulling clever gags like in the movies, i.e. horse manure, or 'Hey, what's that?' ==sucker punch==
  • edited August 2010
    everyone has it mixed up with the real GTA vice city game and the bttf game mod, 2 different games people lol. In the next bttf mod comming out they are taking out the vice city map,guns, ect.. and making it all just hill valley! This will be great when it comes out! we will have a free roam bttf game where we can look around hill valley, then we will have a point and click adventure bttf game! Once both of them come out, I would be interested in seeing which is more popular! But the gta mod is only available on your computer vs TT bttf game on all systems
  • edited August 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »
    The whole movie actually.

Shoot, you can even go further. The whole trilogy is all about puzzle solving.

BttF 1:

*Marty has to solve the puzzle of fixing the problems he created with his parents by going back in time.
    *Doc and Marty have to solve the puzzle of finding a way to get Marty back to 1985 without plutonium to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity needed to power the flux capacitor.
    *Marty has to figure out how to save Doc from being killed by the Libyans in the present.

BttF 2:

*Marty and Doc have to solve the puzzle of how to keep Marty's kids from going to jail.
    *Marty and Doc have to fix the time-line caused by old Biff stealing the Sports Almanac and creating an alternate present.
    *Marty needs to find a way to stop Biff from using the Almanac.

BttF 3:

*Marty and Doc start off this movie having to solve the puzzle of getting Marty back to the present after Doc and the DeLorean are stuck by lightning.
    *Marty has to figure out how to save Doc after they find out about his death in 1885.
    *Marty and Doc have to solve the puzzle of how to get the DeLorean up to 88MPH after the fuel tank is ruptured and the manifold blows out.

The entire freaking series is solving puzzles. A free-roam GTA style game is actually a FAR greater departure from the basis of the series than a point-and-click puzzle adventure game is.

Again, if anyone is really up in arms over a BttF point-and-click game, I HIGHLY suggest you find a way to play Day of the Tentacle. That game will put to rest any worry of if BttF can work in this format.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.