How do you rate Ron Gilbert?

edited November 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
Does Monkey Island make him a auto-legend?
Is he over rated, under rated? How do you rate Ron Gilbert.

Just curious. :p

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Well, he made Monkey Island, that makes him my hero. He was also highly responsible for creating the SCUMM engine, which was used for LucasArts adventure games for many many years - all of which were of superb quality. So, Ron Gilbert is basically one of the main reasons LucasArts were so great in their golden age of adventure games.

If that doesn't give anynoe a reason to rate him high enough, then I don't know what does.

Of course, people forget easily, thus a person is only as important as their latest work. In this case it's DeathSpank - which I personally like, but wouldn't call it a groundbreaking triumph. So if I was to rate him only based on that, I'd say "yeah, he's alright" instead of "holy sweet mother of monkey sweat in a wodden jar, he's probably more important than Adam!".
  • edited July 2010
    well, he founded humongous entertainment (found that out a while ago) which was a HUGE part of my childhood. I thought the first time I experienced gilbert was on tomi, but id played his games from when i was 5. I guess that's why i like adventure games so much...

so, he's awesome because he influenced my childhood.
  • edited July 2010
    I cannot rate a person as such if I don't know them personally, that's obvious.

I consider Ron a good writer and Monkey Island was one of his great stories.
    But given that I played all the titles that came after MI2 and liked them, I tend to not overrate him. Of course Monkey Island is his baby, but this baby has now grown up and learned to walk without Ron being involved much.
    I do appreciate that his advice is being taken into account when developping new sequels, though. That will help maintain that Monkey Island feeling that every Monkey Island game has (it's beyond explication, you know what I mean).
  • edited July 2010
    I think Ron is really awesome... BUT... I think that Ron gets a lot of Dave and Tim's credit for MI.. I hope some day the three of them can make another game together.
  • edited July 2010
    Mermaid wrote: »
    I cannot rate a person as such if I don't know them personally, that's obvious.

I consider Ron a good writer and Monkey Island was one of his great stories.
    But given that I played all the titles that came after MI2 and liked them, I tend to not overrate him. Of course Monkey Island is his baby, but this baby has now grown up and learned to walk without Ron being involved much.
    I do appreciate that his advice is being taken into account when developpng new sequels, though. That will help maintain that Monkey Island feeling that every Monkey Island game has (it's beyond explication, you know what I mean).
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think Ron is really awesome... BUT... I think that Ron gets a lot of Dave and Tim's credit for MI.. I hope some day the three of them can make another game together.

These. I agree very much so.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm really liking that idea Irishmile. I didn't know that Ron Gilbert was a Scumm designer. That really makes me love the guy, esp since I can play Monkey Island on a PS3...
  • edited July 2010
    Sometimes I feel that Ron's character Guybrush describes himself as "a lovably inept cartoon character with the potential for a few more sequels". And that was in The Curse of Monkey Island, I suppose. :)
  • edited September 2010
    Ron Gilbert's great and all, but I think he gets too much of the credit for Monkey Island being as funny as it was.

Compare DeathSpank, made by Ron Gilbert, to Brutal Legend, made by Tim Schafer. DeathSpank is funny, Brutal Legend is HILARIOUS.
  • edited September 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »

Very much this. Dave gets even less credit than Tim does. :(
  • edited September 2010
    Scnew wrote: »
    Ron Gilbert's great and all, but I think he gets too much of the credit for Monkey Island being as funny as it was.

Compare DeathSpank, made by Ron Gilbert, to Brutal Legend, made by Tim Schafer. DeathSpank is funny, Brutal Legend is HILARIOUS.

But Deathspank was playable, Brutal Legend messed up with shitty RTS sequences. Also, I think they represents two entirely different kind of humours. And since both of them worked on MI, the humour was mixed and made into something unique.
  • edited September 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    But Deathspank was playable, Brutal Legend messed up with shitty RTS sequences. Also, I think they represents two entirely different kind of humours. And since both of them worked on MI, the humour was mixed and made into something unique.

I thought Brutal Legend was great, but I played the demo of Deathspank and was thoroughly unimpressed. :(
  • edited September 2010
    Brutal Legend was great, but the RTS elements dragged it down a bit. It could've been so much better had it only been a pure hack'n'slash. More interest in replaying it too.

On the average, Deathspank was no worse than Brutal Legend. It did what it was supposed to do, and that's it. Just like Brutal Legend. Tim is not known for bringing fantastic gameplay to his games. Both games had simplistic, workable gameplay that was second-rate compared to the humour and story. Deathspank bordered on extremely childish at points, but it also had some great jokes.

Quest-giver: "Why haven't you finished my quest?"
    Deathspank: "Mainquest or sidequest?"
    Quest-giver: "Sidequest"
    "Deathspank: "ah"

:D
  • edited September 2010
    Ron Gilbert's credit goes far beyond just Monkey Island, he [co]developed SCUMM, the very system that went on to shape the adventure-game genre as we know it.
  • edited September 2010
    perhaps.
  • edited September 2010
    My main reason for respecting him is for being one of the original creators of SCUMM. That's what led LucasArts to create so many great and memorable games.

Of course, creating Monkey Island is another good reason to think of him as an awesome guy. But so are the creators of the other awesome LucasArts adventures. :D
  • edited September 2010
    I guess it depends what you reference him against. If you associate him with Monkey Island 1 & 2 then he definitely is. But you can't really put Deathspank in the same category. Also remember that Monkey Island came out nearly 20 years ago - nobody is going to stay on top forever!
  • edited October 2010
    In regards to Deathspank - A character in the game "Eubrick" has discovered the secret of monkey island!!!! See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrV6Axz078s

But Ron is awesome. Naturally planting that same monkey island humor into Deathspank.
  • edited November 2010
    In regards to Deathspank - A character in the game "Eubrick" has discovered the secret of monkey island!!!! See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrV6Axz078s

But Ron is awesome. Naturally planting that same monkey island humor into Deathspank.

I screamed at the end.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.