Very good, but PLEEEASE make it a little more difficult!

edited January 2007 in Sam & Max
I've been playing computer adventure games since the 80's so it's no real suprise that I find this game pretty easy, but my 10 year old son has finished both parts 1 and 2 in less than an hour, whilst we both fully enjoyed our time with Sam and Max we just wish it would have lasted a little bit longer by giving us more of a challenge.

I hope the developers have intentionally made the first few episode easy to allow new comers to adapt to the point and click adventure style and later episodes will offer a bit more of a challenge.

Great work guys, the game is gorgeous. :)

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Less than an hour? Hmmm, I agree they're still too easy, even when playing episode 1 back after knowing how to complete it, it's still an hour's worth of gameplay.
  • edited January 2007
    both took me about 1.5-2 hours.

I'd rather longer than harder to be honest
  • edited January 2007
    I suppose 6 x 1 hour isn't too bad when you look at it that way.

I'm probably just greedy. :D
  • edited January 2007
    Hey witchy2k1, you might have some fun exploring the "Play it again, Sam! (err, and Max)," looking for the extras and jokes might add a lot to the length and enjoyment of the game, though admittedly you don't really need to see all of those things.
  • edited January 2007
    I could put this in just about any thread, but I guess I'll put it here. I think there were at least two very difficult puzzles in this episode. I mean, I knew I had to
    put tomato in the cake
    somehow, but it took a long time for me to remember that
    there's ketchup in the food area at Bosco's
    . In fact, I was wandering around
    Bosco's
    for quite some time, wondering where the freaking
    tomato products
    could possibly be.

There's also the fact that it took me over an hour to figure out the
    lyrics
    thing, but I guess that just depends on whether or not you happened to look at that particular scenery object.
  • edited January 2007
    If you play the game just to get through it I'm sure they can be done in one hour'ish. But playing the game exploring as much as possible takes longer time and is way more fun =) 2-3 hours each episode.
  • edited January 2007
    You might find some sympathetic (and opposing) points of view in this thread;

Are Telltale listening to the complaints about the difficulty-level of their games?.
  • edited January 2007
    1 HOUR?
    that just made my 5 hour long looking-exaktly-everywhere-to-hear-every-line-possible playthrough seem pretty sad... (and that's 5 hour per episode)
  • BasBas
    edited January 2007
    I agree, I spend way more than one hour on each game. I basically pace the amount of time I play it each day, and exhaust every possible dialogue option and click on every available object on screen. That's way more fun, and takes much longer, than just blasting through the game in one go.
  • edited January 2007
    I found it indeed too simple, just like the first one. The quests should be expanded with sub solutions to the big picture. However, I sadly must admit I did peek into a walkthrough for the tomato thingy because I had already walked around the different locations a couple of times but appearently didn't look at the right spot. I won't do it again! It was the only place I got stuck. The rest was way to easy (and no, I'm not a adventure diehard, but did play the original (lots of fun) a long time ago with help of a walkthrough at a few puzzles... damn it, I did it before! But that was a different far more difficult situation). And it was too short, it felt even shorter than the first episode!

Pssst! A free hint: add some location of or reference to the original game in your game! it will be fun for the oldies!

And completely offtopic: make the game work under a normal (non admin) account! No complaints means many Windows users still do there daily work as full powered admin...
  • edited January 2007
    Rinzwind wrote: »
    I found it indeed too simple, just like the first one. The quests should be expanded with sub solutions to the big picture. However, I sadly must admit I did peek into a walkthrough for the tomato thingy because I had already walked around the different locations a couple of times but appearently didn't look at the right spot. I won't do it again! It was the only place I got stuck. The rest was way to easy (and no, I'm not a adventure diehard, but did play the original (lots of fun) a long time ago with help of a walkthrough at a few puzzles... damn it, I did it before! But that was a different far more difficult situation). And it was too short, it felt even shorter than the first episode!

How much harder would you want it? I'm curious because I usually feel that using walkthroughs lessens the enjoyment of the game, yet it sounds like you would actually want it to be more difficult even though you needed a walkthrough peek.
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, man. All it takes is one really hard puzzle to add an hour or so to the game. If you really want the game to be more difficult and last longer, don't look anything up!
  • edited January 2007
    swissrebel wrote: »
    Less than an hour? Hmmm, I agree they're still too easy, even when playing episode 1 back after knowing how to complete it, it's still an hour's worth of gameplay.

After completing the games the first time around, I replayed them in "fast forward" as I usually do sometimes (for a great number of reasons). Culture Shock is about 35-40 minutes of gameplay (don't remember the exact number), and Situation: Comedy clocks in at approximately 30 minutes. That's with only the puzzles solved (no dialogue, cut-scenes, etc). So, maybe he really did complete it in less than an hour (gameplay + dialogues).

This is still not as short as Full Throttle, mind you.
  • edited January 2007
    MrSneeze wrote: »
    After completing the games the first time around, I replayed them in "fast forward" as I usually do sometimes (for a great number of reasons). Culture Shock is about 35-40 minutes of gameplay (don't remember the exact number), and Situation: Comedy clocks in at approximately 30 minutes. That's with only the puzzles solved (no dialogue, cut-scenes, etc). So, maybe he really did complete it in less than an hour (gameplay + dialogues).

This is still not as short as Full Throttle, mind you.

Makes me curious--how short was Full Throttle? I probably haven't played it in nearly a decade, so I don't remember much.
  • edited January 2007
    i really hope the puzzles get harder in the next episode. hit the road puzzles were just the right difficulty. maybe they can add a harder version of the game on a cd once the season is completed? i dont know how much of a hassle it would be to add this but i see the puzzles very linear like x+2=4 so instead on the harder version it could be b^2+.10a=4.

i would actually wait to play the entire season as a game then.
  • edited January 2007
    Full run of full throttle available at: http://www.gamershell.com/news/27175.html
  • edited January 2007
    I did regret it that I had looked it up, because after that it was soon "game over". It indeed lessens the enjoyment. Lesson learned. But still I thought it was too easy.
  • edited January 2007
    um, that link says that full throttle took 63 mins and they edited the movie!
  • edited January 2007
    numble wrote: »
    Makes me curious--how short was Full Throttle? I probably haven't played it in nearly a decade, so I don't remember much.

Last time I played it was many years ago, so my memory is a little blurry, and therefore I'm not going to give a number to avoid being ridiculed. I think that, skipping all dialogues & cut-scenes, the game may have been as short as an S&M episode, if not shorter.

Although I remember that the game in its entirety clocks in at around an hour and a half (assuming one knows the solutions to all puzzles), the actual puzzle-solving maybe lasts for less than a 3rd of that (dialogues & cut-scenes skipped).
  • edited January 2007
    I would agree that this episode was still to easy, while it took me about 30 mins to get Myra to shut up the first time around, the overall was fairly simple. Still episode 2 was quite a bit harder than episode 1 and if it would continue like this, I would expect that the next episodes will become harder and harder with it's peak at episode 6 (which I expect to be just a bit under Grim Fandango difficulty).

One other wish I would like to express:
    I wish the Sit-com would have multiple endings. It's a shame that with so many dialog- and other options there is only one solution, while I think with a bit of work there could be 3 or 4 more added. This also would have enhanced the replay value.
  • edited January 2007
    After thinking about the 2 episodes... it s not so much that the puzzles are easy, it is more a problem of scale and gameplay simplification. In the original Sam and Max much of the puzzles were about the same complexity, but you had to search in more places for the objects, and you had to cope with the examine-grab-use-speak commands and combine objects together.

I don't think they can make things much more difficult with the scale of an episode. And i don't want them to use the runaway method: Where is Charly's style where a 4 pixels wide object has to be found to solve a puzzle.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.