sam and max with cell shading???

aslasl
edited January 2007 in Sam & Max
do you think guys that sam & max would look good with cell shading???

if you dont kno what is cell shading :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell-shading

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I'm glad this game isn't in cel shading because you must have a very big range of polygons to have a clean render... cel shading shows easyly any lack of modeling, and most of the times make environment... empty. It's difficult to have details in cel shading, I don't think it's a good idea for an adventure game.
    But if it's done like Runaway, it can be cool ^^ but for the moment, I like the models used in season 1 :)
  • edited January 2007
    Well, to be honest, I'd probably like the graphics even more if it used well-made cel-shading. Although, this would most likely raise the system requirements, but as for me that doesn't even really matter, since they're are very low at the moment any way.

Also I believe creating cel-shading graphics requires more time and resources than just 3D -models.
  • edited January 2007
    Yep, Id probably love the look of it, and if they used the Unreal 3 or Crysis engine I bet it would make anyone who saw it weep in joy.
    Im glad they didnt however, my PC would explode if I tried anything like that.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    I think it would be a pretty huge style shift for Sam & Max to use cel shading. While Hit The Road looks like it might convert well, any of Steve Purcell's original painted, colored art of the characters is all about things having depth and volume, which is something no cel-shaded game, or game of that style (even Wind Waker) is really about, visually.
  • edited January 2007
    Blah.
    Cell-shading is the 'lens flare effect' of the early 2000s. It's overused and overrated.
  • edited January 2007
    Jake makes a good point, which is good because he's an administrator. Sam & Max has never really been cel-shaded. It's more like American comic book style (varying line thickness, very curvy and natural, usually gradient shaded or ink-shaded, lots of details). Cel shading is more like Japanese style (uniform line thickness, more angular, usually flat shading).
  • edited January 2007
    I've always been disappointed at the dearth of interesting non-photo-realistic renderers in videogames. Jet Set Radio was stunning when it first arrived (still looks great now), and should have heralded a new age of experimentation with renderers, but instead spawned a legion of cel-shaded clones.

I think Capcom are the only company who've really taken cel-shading further, from adding small stylistic tweaks like in Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe, to a full blown ink painting style for Okami.

The game I'm working on at the moment is a cartoon license, where we must adhere very strictly to the look of the show. It's turning out to be a surprising amount of work.

The Sam and Max comics make fantastic use of shadow - I'd hope to see that in a comic style renderer for them. Unfortunately doing true shadows can be quite costly in rendering time, especially if you want to avoid ugly aliasing artifacts.
  • edited January 2007
    I'd hate a cel-shaded Sam and Max. Not just because it'd probably pull about 5 frames per second on this machine, but cel-shading is ugly as hell 90% of the time. Windwaker, Jet Set Radio, XIII, PaRappa, and to some extent, Viewtiful Joe are the only ones I can think of offhand that used it well. (haven't seen enough of Killer 7 to tell if it's good or not)
  • edited January 2007
    Blah.
    Cell-shading is the 'lens flare effect' of the early 2000s. It's overused and overrated.

I agree, 100%.
  • edited January 2007
    Jake has the best argument.. It would be cool if it was possible to make a good watercolor shading technique that didnt look like a photoshop filter. But I think 2D backdrops at least as far as I know would probably be the best way to achieve that look.
    I agree that cel shading has been over-used to death, but im not willing to completely dismiss it. I think it has just been used poorly, and we havnt seen the full potentials of it in many games. If you have seen of Okami for PS2, you probably agree.
    But as Jake said, Sam n Max is painted and doesnt have the crisp cartoon look..
  • edited January 2007
    Jake makes a good point, which is good because he's an administrator. Sam & Max has never really been cel-shaded. It's more like American comic book style (varying line thickness, very curvy and natural, usually gradient shaded or ink-shaded, lots of details). Cel shading is more like Japanese style (uniform line thickness, more angular, usually flat shading).

Yeah, and I think it would be awesome if one day we have cel-shading variants that can mimic more dynamic drawing styles, handling varying line thickness for example. It's the next step, I say!

--Erwin
  • edited January 2007
    Erwin wrote: »
    Yeah, and I think it would be awesome if one day we have cel-shading variants that can mimic more dynamic drawing styles, handling varying line thickness for example. It's the next step, I say!

--Erwin

It would be interesting to do lines with 3D shading, as opposed to lines with cel shading. Someone could probably do that now without much additional technology.
  • edited January 2007
    Okami screens for reference:
    http://www.cloverstudio.co.jp/title/okami/okami_ss06.html

I think it uses backface extrusion instead of edge detection, resulting in much more dynamic line thickness. Could also be some sort of thresholded lighting. Either way, it shows it's quite possible to get a more organic look.

You can't really see it in static screens, but there's also a nice motion blur effect on the ink, resulting in a very liquid feel.
  • edited January 2007
    Hearing your arguments makes me glad i dont work with 3D graphics and have to bother about all those things :p I can mostly follow you, but jesus.

I saw The fast and the furious by accident yesterday (the film was shit), but the scene during the ending credits was surprisingly cool. Its a completely CG scene with cars racing on a dark road, where they used a mix of cel shading and semi realistic reflections, probably many rendering passes mixed on top of each other. The end result was very impressive.
  • edited January 2007
    I think it would be a bad idea to use cell-shading for any game that wasn't developed with an extravagant artistic look in mind. The new Sam & Max episodes has exactly the style it should have. Just because they are cartoon characters, doesn't mean they have to have a black outline to look right.

No, TTG should not use cell-shading for Sam & Max. And that is, of course, my personal opinion.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.