Guybrush smiley slow in Chrome?

edited August 2010 in Site Support
A couple of days ago, I switched my browser from Firefox to Google Chrome, and something I've noticed is that the dancing Guybrush smiley is really slow, as if he's dancing in slowmotion. I'm wondering if anyone else has this. :guybrush: Winslow is at his normal speed, though.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I noticed this too. Although I now use firefox.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Some browsers have speed limits on animated gifs in order to prevent evil images from causing extreme cpu load. I can't find the limits of chrome/webkit at the moment though, so i can't confirm that it's the cause, although it's quite likely.
    The Guybrush dances with 30 ms / frame. Winslow with 100 ms/frame.
  • edited August 2010
    weird! Guybrush's smiley at my pc runs in the same speed in chrome and ie
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    weird! Guybruh at my pc runs in the same speed in chrome and ie

Here too... Slow...
  • TorTor
    edited August 2010
    On my computer:
    Firefox: fast
    Opera: fast
    Chrome: slow
    Safari: slow
    IE: slow
  • edited August 2010
    yeah, i noticed that when i took the smiley into fireworks, it appeared to be much faster
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Animated GIFs are manhandled by most every browser, because they're kind of an abomination.
  • TorTor
    edited August 2010
    Wiser words were never spoken
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I did a little research. This Bugzilla Entry gives a lot of details on Browsers clamping the maximal animated gif speed differently.
    This is where Webkits behavior changed from Firefox like, to IE 7 like.

I created a Version of the image running at 60 ms / frame by removing every even frame (see below). It runs at the original speed in chrome/webkit and IE, but it looks less smooth, since it only uses 16.6 fps as opposed to the prior 33.3 fps. Considering these browsers limits it could be improved for 20 fps playback given the original material, but i can't estimate whether that would look significantly better.

guybrushdancesmall60ms.gif
This discussion has been closed.