Tales of monkey Island 2 looks unlikely.

edited November 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
According to a recent article posted on Kotaku, LA is making a series of cuts, including stopping outsourcing games.
We've also been told that another sweeping change made by Meegan is that the majority of "external" development of Lucasarts properties is coming to an end, with BioWare's Old Republic MMO to be the last game not developed internally at Lucasarts. That would presumably mean, for example, no more LEGO Star Wars or LEGO Indiana Jones titles after the upcoming LEGO: Clone Wars, as those have all been handled by Traveller's Tales.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    According to a recent article posted on Kotaku, LA is making a series of cuts, including stopping outsourcing games.

That just means they aren't making games with other companies. They could still make a deal with Telltale to do Tales 2 and have nothing to do with it.
  • edited August 2010
    That just means they aren't making games with other companies. They could still make a deal with Telltale to do Tales 2 and have nothing to do with it.
    Tales of Monkey Island was made as a partnership with LA, just as the lego star wars games are made with travellers tales (and LA). I don't see LA doing a Tales 2, as they would probably have to rent to characters TTG created (like ghost pirate morgan). They would probably just go for a completely different game, if they still decide to continue MI.
  • edited August 2010
    "the majority of "external" development of Lucasarts properties is coming to an end"

It says "majority of", not "all of". It may not include MI. Also, there might be a chance that LA might give up all the rights of MI to Telltale, like Sam & Max.
  • edited August 2010
    COME ON, LucasArts. Don't just sit on the rights for another ten years, give them to Telltale!
    Please baby please baby please baby please baby please...
  • edited August 2010
    Bubblechan wrote: »
    [...] Also, there might be a chance that LA might give up all the rights of MI to Telltale, like Sam & Max.

Sam & Max is owned by Steve Purcell, not Lucasarts.
  • edited August 2010
    COME ON, LucasArts. Don't just sit on the rights for another ten years, give them to Telltale!

Too true. Imagine if, as well as season 2, Telltale could also produce Curse:SE and Escape:SE
  • edited August 2010
    Lucasarts would never sell their intellectual properties to anyone. A theoretical sixth Monkey Island would either be licenced out, like TMI, or be internally developed at LA.

Anyone know if any of the guys who did the Monkey Island special editions have been laid off?
  • edited August 2010
    Another thing to keep in mind is that we don't know the terms of the Tales licensing agreement. The contract may have been for only one game, but it's also possible that Telltale is sitting on a multiple game agreement. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's a theory that's been mentioned before. We just don't know.
  • edited August 2010
    That's why I hate TOMI open ending.

And all unending endings.
  • edited August 2010
    Too true. Imagine if, as well as season 2, Telltale could also produce Curse:SE and Escape:SE

Hmmm... I think I'd rather LucasArts do those. They'd have a much larger budget.
  • edited August 2010
    That reminds me that I was curious about the ownership of characters lke Morgan.
  • edited August 2010
    Whats all this 'Tales 2' about - surely it would be Monkey Island 6? Or maybe even Curse of Monkey Island 4..or Escape from Monkey Island 3!
  • edited August 2010
    I cant really say I am surprised.
  • edited August 2010

Yeah, from the sounds of it give TTG all the rights to everything and throw in the towel. Please, baby please...
  • edited August 2010
    Eduardo wrote: »
    That reminds me that I was curious about the ownership of characters lke Morgan.

Telltale owns the rights to characters they created for the game. So if they wanted to make a pirate-themed adventure game in the style of Tales, using Morgan and other original characters, they could do that, they just wouldn't be able to call it Monkey Island.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Selling or lending a licence - as was done with Monkey Island - is not the same as "outsourcing"! In fact, having TTG do Monkey Island was rather easy money for LA in a relatively short period of time, while outsourcing (actually paying people to do the work for your firm) must have been quite the budget strain.

I think LucasArts has made a very positive experience with "Tales". Hence, I'd consider the chances for a Telltale ToMI 2 exceptionally high. 2012, maybe?
  • edited August 2010
    Didn't see this earlier. Sorry for double posting in general.
  • edited August 2010
    If LucasArts can throw out 90% completed computer games, they can certainly throw out hypothetical sequels that nobody's started on. :mad:

Hmm... how about a company motto - "LucasArts. We don't want your money."
  • edited August 2010
    why Darrell why?
  • edited August 2010
    People here seem confused what outsourcing means. Most that tried to explain it here are plain WRONG... sorry folks.

But yeah, it would probably mean no ToMI2, or Day of the Tentacle serie(s) if this is indeed true.
  • edited August 2010
    zhebrica wrote: »
    Telltale owns the rights to characters they created for the game. So if they wanted to make a pirate-themed adventure game in the style of Tales, using Morgan and other original characters, they could do that, they just wouldn't be able to call it Monkey Island.

No, not really. Morgan is still part of the Monkey Island universe. Telltale couldn't make a game about Morgan any more than LucasArts could make a game about Bruno the bigfoot. This also means that if LucasArts does make a new Monkey Island, they can't use Morgan or Winslow without licensing them from Telltale.
    hamza721 wrote: »
    why Darrell why?

Darrell Rodriguez left LucasArts a while ago. Jerry Bowerman is filling in for him until they find a replacement.
  • edited August 2010
    Jerry Bowerman is filling in for him until they find a replacement.

ok ok Il step in for monkey island
  • edited August 2010
    This also means that if LucasArts does make a new Monkey Island, they can't use Morgan or Winslow without licensing them from Telltale.
    Depends on the terms between LA and TTG when developint ToMI.
    Personally I think it's doubtfull TTG got the "rights" for these characters, so if intern LA made a new MI (woe befoe us) they could use Morgan, Winslow and everone else...
  • edited August 2010
    Depends on the terms between LA and TTG when developint ToMI.

Exactly, which is what I was wondering.

I should read the credits for the episodes to see if there is a hint of characters' property there.
  • edited August 2010
    Darrell Rodriguez left LucasArts a while ago. Jerry Bowerman is filling in for him until they find a replacement.

They appointed a new president back in June - Paul Meegan.
  • edited August 2010
    Ah, I had missed that news, and Wikipedia is out of date.
  • edited August 2010
    Selling or lending a licence - as was done with Monkey Island - is not the same as "outsourcing"! In fact, having TTG do Monkey Island was rather easy money for LA in a relatively short period of time, while outsourcing (actually paying people to do the work for your firm) must have been quite the budget strain.

I think LucasArts has made a very positive experience with "Tales". Hence, I'd consider the chances for a Telltale ToMI 2 exceptionally high. 2012, maybe?

You have a point. It's a fine line, but still a distinct difference.

Edit: I should also mention that the article notes at least one project avoided the axe. The project is not named, and we don't know why it survived.
  • edited August 2010
    From the wording it sounds like an inhouse project (another SE?) though... so no relevance to ToMI.
  • edited August 2010
    Damn you Lucasarts! Aren't the Lego games pretty successful too?

I'm just going to keep on hoping that there'll be a teaser for more ToMI at the end of Devil's Playhouse like there was for Devil's Playhouse at the end of ToMI. Okay, that might be a completely vain hope, but still.
  • edited August 2010
    From the wording it sounds like an inhouse project (another SE?) though... so no relevance to ToMI.

I'd rather ToMI season 2 than a new game of MI from LA as Telltale have done great work to resurrect MI. Personally I like ToMI is better than other LA made MI games, especially the story and charcters designs.
  • edited August 2010
    No, not really. Morgan is still part of the Monkey Island universe. Telltale couldn't make a game about Morgan any more than LucasArts could make a game about Bruno the bigfoot. This also means that if LucasArts does make a new Monkey Island, they can't use Morgan or Winslow without licensing them from Telltale.
    Huh? You're going to have to explain what you mean by this, because you seem to be contradicting yourself. If Morgan were part of the MI IP, then LA *would* be able to use her in a game because they own the IP. If Morgan is not part of the MI IP, then they would indeed have to license the character from Telltale. You can't have it both ways.

I would also have thought that LA could make a game about Bruno if they wanted, assuming that the character was created during the development of Hit the Road at LA, and was not part of the property they licensed from Steve Purcell.
  • edited August 2010
    so were agreed we want a LA bruno game
  • edited August 2010
    so were agreed we want a LA bruno game

I thought that was a given.
  • edited August 2010
    As much I'd like a season 2 for TOMI, I'm just glad they managed to complete the first season and give us another Monkey Island game. With all the lack of Commercial adventure games the last few years I really enjoyed Tales. If Lucasarts loses interest in adventure games again, that sucks, but at least we got one more tale with Guybrush. But hope I'm wrong....
  • edited August 2010
    zhebrica wrote: »
    Huh? You're going to have to explain what you mean by this, because you seem to be contradicting yourself. If Morgan were part of the MI IP, then LA *would* be able to use her in a game because they own the IP. If Morgan is not part of the MI IP, then they would indeed have to license the character from Telltale. You can't have it both ways.

I would also have thought that LA could make a game about Bruno if they wanted, assuming that the character was created during the development of Hit the Road at LA, and was not part of the property they licensed from Steve Purcell.

What I've been led to believe is that LucasArts owns the IP, Telltale owns the character, but the character is bound to the IP, so that Telltale can't use the character without having the IP from LucasArts and LucasArts can't use the character without permission from Telltale. Otherwise Morgan would basically be a character from her own IP and Tales would be one enormous crossover, in which case you could say that Sybil, the Stinkies, Sal, Skunkape, Papierwaite, the Soda Poppers, and every other character that didn't appear in Sam & Max prior to the Telltale games aren't part of the Sam & Max IP.
  • edited August 2010
    Why is Morgan bound to MI? Why can't Telltale make a game about her previous exploits before meeting Guybrush?
  • edited August 2010
    Because Morgan originated in a Monkey Island game. Any other game about her would still take place in the Monkey Island universe. Not to mention that Guybrush has been her idol for years and making a game about her past without any reference to him would be pretty much impossible.
  • edited August 2010
    Is it still possible that LA could completly sell the MI license to Telltale?
  • edited August 2010
    Honestly, I doubt Lucasarts would even think of getting rid of the one (successful) IP that's broken them away from their recent company image of "just Star Wars and Indy". So I really doubt Lucasarts would ever "sell" Monkey Island, or let go of it completely.

I think we all need to take some advice from a certain other sci-fi and not panic about this. Who needs a towel? ;)
  • edited August 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Is it still possible that LA could completly sell the MI license to Telltale?

I wish that would happen, but as Polychrome said, it would be highly unlikely the LucasArts would ever sell the franchise to Telltale; they'd either want to leech off of it somehow, or bury it completely. They'd never allow some other company to make money off of it without them getting a piece of it because they're selfish bastards focused on money and about nothing else.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.