Mystic Seaport and Monkey Island

edited September 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
Just three days ago, while my parents and I were on vacation, we went to Mystic Seaport in Connecticut, where we got on the good ship Charles W. Morgan that is being restored. I told the tour guide lady that being on the ship kind of reminds me of being on the ships of the Monkey Island series, especially the Screaming Narwhal of Tales of Monkey Island. I even told her about the MI series, and it seemed to fascinate her, especially about pirates like Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck, and the love-hate relationship. The tour guide lady responded with a story about how the Charles W. Morgan survived attacks from pirates and cannibals in the 19th century, kind of a little like the Somalian pirates. I guess the MI story seemed to fascinate her, don't you think? ;)

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I really wish this sort of thing worked with me. Talking about MI with non-fans always seems to bore them rather than fascinate them.
  • edited August 2010
    I've been there! That ship definitely has a Monkey Island feel to it.

I've never been able to talk to non-fans about the game either. They always look bored and try to change the subject.
  • edited August 2010
    Jenny wrote: »
    I've never been able to talk to non-fans about the game either. They always look bored and try to change the subject.

Once when my friend and I were waiting for a delayed train I explained the whole story of MI in detail. By the time the train arrived half an hour late, I think she was ready to push me in front of it :p
  • edited August 2010
    Once when my friend and I were waiting for a delayed train I explained the whole story of MI in detail. By the time the train arrived half an hour late, I think she was ready to push me in front of it :p

What a shame. It's such a great story, I wish more people would be open-minded when having it explained to them (I think being a game, some immediately think it's dull).
  • edited August 2010
    I am lucky, the guy sitting next to me was a little bit fan of Monkey Island, he had Curse of Monkey Island that I borrowed from him. In return I shared information about the 2 new special editions and Tales, and now that is what we mostly talk about.

He even bought the 2 special editions and Tales. :)

But mostly people don't care, so I am alone in my little world full of monkeys. :)
  • edited August 2010
    I told one person about it, they image searched it and came back to me saying "That game has THE WORST graphics I've ever seen". I told them it was made in 1990. They said "Don't be silly. Games didn't exist before 2000."

o_O
  • edited August 2010
    I told one person about it, they image searched it and came back to me saying "That game has THE WORST graphics I've ever seen". I told them it was made in 1990. They said "Don't be silly. Games didn't exist before 2000."

o_O

Good lord!
  • edited August 2010

o_O

They don't deserve to play it, then. Also, judging from their level of intelligence (which I am assuming is not very high), they wouldn't understand most of the jokes anyway.
  • edited August 2010
    If you're actually serious then that's REALLY ignorant and SERIOUSLY dumb. It's terrible how modern gamers (graphic whores, etc) can talk about these games.
  • edited September 2010
    Me: *whisper* Monkey Island

Rikke (a little mi fan): I Wonder what happins in taaaaaaaaaaaaaalse of monkey island!

Me: 0_0

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

All other: Sh*t op

me: sorry
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
  • edited September 2010

Rikke (a little mi fan): I Wonder what happins in taaaaaaaaaaaaaalse of monkey island!

Denmark!!!
  • edited September 2010
    I never try to speak with people about games. Whenever someone tries to talk with me about Eve Online or some other game I never played, I know how damn boring it gets to listen to it.

Maybe it's easier to explain Monkey Island to others if you secretly don't mention it's a game?
  • edited September 2010

that's what happens to me, too!
  • edited September 2010
    You'd be surprise how there are people that are familiar with the game outside of the internet, example being in the college I'm attending, apparently there are a lot of MI fans:

-In class once, one of the students sitting next to me saw my wallpaper (the one with Winslow, Elaine, Guybrush, and Morgan standing epically) and was ecstatic that there was another MI fan amongst the crowd.

-At lunch last year, I was excited about the free ToMI episode on Talk Like a Pirate Day and someone walked by and heard me. She immediately slammed her tray down and blurted out "You fight like a Dairy Farmer!!"

-My Game Design teacher assigned us to look at one screenshot and report all the game mechanics to it, I chose the ToMI (the game had to be made within 2008-2009) so I went up to my teacher and asked if it was ok if I chose ToMI. His response? "Is... is that Guybrush Threepwood?" (he didn't know ToMI was made). We then started to talk away like a couple of dorks about MI.
  • edited September 2010
    You'd be surprise how there are people that are familiar with the game outside of the internet, example being in the college I'm attending, apparently there are a lot of MI fans:

-In class once, one of the students sitting next to me saw my wallpaper (the one with Winslow, Elaine, Guybrush, and Morgan standing epically) and was ecstatic that there was another MI fan amongst the crowd.

-At lunch last year, I was excited about the free ToMI episode on Talk Like a Pirate Day and someone walked by and heard me. She immediately slammed her tray down and blurted out "You fight like a Dairy Farmer!!"

-My Game Design teacher assigned us to look at one screenshot and report all the game mechanics to it, I chose the ToMI (the game had to be made within 2008-2009) so I went up to my teacher and asked if it was ok if I chose ToMI. His response? "Is... is that Guybrush Threepwood?" (he didn't know ToMI was made). We then started to talk away like a couple of dorks about MI.

Lucky duck.
  • edited September 2010
    Lucky duck.

Agreed! Those are 3 pretty amazing experiences with fellow Monkey Island fans. I've been wearing my Tales T-Shirt in hopes of starting MI conversations. :p No one seems to know what it is though.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.