PS3 vs PC endings for 305

edited December 2010 in Sam & Max
Telltale, I've heard that the PS3 release of 305 has an ending that's different from the PC versions.

In the PC version, at one point during a conversation, you have to choose whether Sam's favorite part of hanging out of Max is adventuring or crimefighting. This choice determines whether you get one of two different endings. However, you can't not have the conversation that selects what ending you get.

Conversely, in the PS3 version of 305, it's apparently possible to avoid this conversation, with the result that you get an ending that's slightly different from either PC ending.

But, I'm still not sure if that conversation (the one that produces the branching-ending effect) is actually included in the PS3 version at all.

So, I'm asking you guys to state on the record: Does the PS3 version of 305 only have one ending? Or does it have all three endings, of which one is not available on the PC version?

I really hope it's the former.... I'm frankly sick of PS3 users getting exclusive content like NutriSpecs.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    whats the ps3 ending if u avoid the convo?
  • edited September 2010
    Dale wrote: »
    It's just subtley different from the adventuring ending though.
    Sam doesn't leave his hat, but as the duo leave in the elevator, the baby cockroach climbs up from behind the wall. Just like Sam returns to get his hat, he returns for the cockroach.
    Yeah. Whether this is the sole ending on PS3 or just one of three alternatives, I don't know (but hope Telltale will tell us).
  • edited September 2010
    So now I've heard that the extra third ending could be found in the earlier 305 PC review copies, but the method used to activate it doesn't seem to work in the final product.

If this is actually the case... Shame on you, Telltale. PC gamers deserve better than you've treated them.
  • edited September 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    PC gamers deserve better than you've treated them.

Well, it started with the "cinematic" direction... and from now on, we'll quite probably slowly start missing a few things. First a little extra, later on a chapter, etc.

Yep. The point & click computer market put them on their feet & now the consoles will get all the goodies.

And to think I used to find it immoral to download Telltale Games without buying them.

And to think I'm still buying them.

Feh.

I never learn.

Cheers!
  • edited September 2010
    Hmph. If you want, I could try reinstalling my review copy and frapsing the ending for you if I manage to get it.
  • edited September 2010
    You are most kind to go through all that trouble & I'm sure many here would thank you for it.

However, it won't solve the real problem, will it?

Nevertheless, we'd highly appreciate it. I would, at any rate.

Cheers!
  • edited September 2010
    I think you should confirm whether the ending is obtainable in the PC version before you start complaining about Telltale betraying you.

And please stop calling the NutriSpecs exclusive. Just because they're not available yet in the computer versions doesn't mean they'll never be.
  • edited September 2010
    I hate all of you. That is all.
  • edited September 2010
    Wait, isn't the difference that is being complained about...5 seconds of animation? In which one minor detail is changed?

Just...you know, making sure.
  • edited September 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    And please stop calling the NutriSpecs exclusive. Just because they're not available yet in the computer versions doesn't mean they'll never be.

Shwoo, there are many adults who still complain when they can't have 1970s toys. And there's no changing that.
  • edited September 2010
    Wait, isn't the difference that is being complained about...5 seconds of animation? In which one minor detail is changed?

Just...you know, making sure.

The 5 seconds of today will be one whole chapter tomorrow.

Cheers!
  • edited September 2010
    DaleCooper wrote: »
    The 5 seconds of today will be one whole chapter tomorrow.

Cheers!

conclusions.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    Is this for real?

Also, ^ NutriSpecs. They are a bit more than 5 sec. of animation, and we still haven't seen them.
    I don't care about the "toy", more about the 30+ or so lines that are EXCLUSIVE with it...
  • edited December 2010
    DVD confirms that the ending is and always will be PS3 exclusive on the 3rd 305 commentary.
  • edited December 2010
    You got it?

Mine hasn't even shipped yet :(.

Sooooo... the question everyone wonders 'bout (aside from DRM, info?) is... Nutrispecs?
  • edited December 2010
    You got it?

Mine hasn't even shipped yet :(.

Sooooo... the question everyone wonders 'bout (aside from DRM, info?) is... Nutrispecs?

Nope
  • edited December 2010
    Nope

No Nutrispecs. aww.
    Also how do you have yours when mine hasnt shipped.
    Or did telltale forget to update my page.
  • edited December 2010
    Nope

Ohhhhh dang. We're gonna need some caution tape to wrap this thread in. Pronto.
  • edited December 2010
    Looks like my cynicism was justified. I'm not really eager to buy more Telltale products after this debacle.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2010
    The ending where Sam & Max decide to both go back into the time machine is different between versions. (This is discussed on the commentary track of the DVD, probably.)

In the PS3 version (and probably many press/review copies), the little roach, Sam Junior, is up on the railing and Sam grabs him right before the time machine leaves.

While everyone on the team likes Sam Junior, it felt weird to make the little roach such an important part of the ending, so at the very last second we changed it so instead Sam leaves his hat on the railing, and then grabs that instead.
  • edited December 2010
    For the inquiring minds, it's discussed on the bonus commentary for 305.
  • OMAOMA
    edited December 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    While everyone on the team likes Sam Junior, it felt weird to make the little roach such an important part of the ending, so at the very last second we changed it so instead Sam leaves his hat on the railing, and then grabs that instead.

Then why leave the old ending in the PS3 version?
  • edited December 2010
    OMA wrote: »
    Then why leave the old ending in the PS3 version?

They decided for it to be exclusive. It will apparently have little to no impact on the story, and it really is so minor that people shouldn't bother complaining.
  • edited December 2010
    They decided for it to be exclusive. It will apparently have little to no impact on the story, and it really is so minor that people shouldn't bother complaining.

I think is because they change it after submit the game to Sony, and, as you said, the change was so minor so why go to the painful process to submit it again for that
  • edited December 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    I think is because they change it after submit the game to Sony, and, as you said, the change was so minor so why go to the painful process to submit it again for that

I can upload the bit of commentary to Youtube if I must, just want to be sure it's okay with telltale.
  • edited December 2010
    Nope
    *falls down on his knees*

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Why, Telltale, why? :confused:

EDIT: More questions I guess. Bugfixing? The bust thing in 302?
  • edited December 2010

EDIT: More questions I guess. Bugfixing? The bust thing in 302?

I don't have time to check for bugs. Nutrispecs is all I checked, and then watcehd commentary for 305.
  • edited December 2010
    The idea that Telltale would think it good for any content in any of their games to be platform-exclusive is highly troubling.

Of course, it now looks like they've decided on the same course with the NutriSpecs, previous promises to the contrary notwithstanding.
  • edited December 2010

As far as I know, no one decided that any of the endings should be "exclusive." The truth is, that's just how the ending was when the PS3 version shipped. The PC and Mac versions shipped later, and between the two dates the decision was made that Sam going back for his hat was a cooler ending. That's the only reason it got changed.

It definitely wasn't about cheating anyone out of anything or giving PS3 players "more" than PC players. If anything, we went to extra effort to give PC and Mac players a different ending--it would have been easier for us to just leave the PS3 version in the game unchanged. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Characters forgetting their hats then going back for them is a bit of a cliche, it's been used in well-known movies such as Indiana Jones and back to the Future 2, but it worked really well with this scene in particular, as it wasn't action oriented at all. I prefer this version to be honest.
  • edited December 2010
    And getting parodied in many movies, like Shrek 2.

It's a good excuse. But I have a hard time believing there is an as good one for the Specs :(.
  • edited December 2010
    And getting parodied in many movies, like Shrek 2.

It's a good excuse. But I have a hard time believing there is an as good one for the Specs :(.
    The excuse is:

Look! Over there! Shiny new Back to the Future game! Sam and Max Season Three? What Season Three?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.