Hit the Road Throwbacks - Which have you found?

edited May 2007 in Sam & Max
Besides the obvious, I found a throwback to Vanawatu from Hit the Road that apparently went over my head until just now.:p
It's Myra when she goes into her blah-blah-blah loop!

I'm sure by now everyone has seen
Jesse James' hand
the fate of the old Desoto
the swearing in long hand
, and even
the referance back to the John Murr (sp?) vegetable

But what other throwbacks have you found to Hit the Road so far?

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Whack-the-rat in episode 3... (which is visible in screenshots, before you start asking)
  • edited January 2007
    A little obscure, but Sam makes a comment about the mailbox outside the office that's very similar to the mailbox outside the office in Hit the Road.

I don't think I found out
    , though, where do you find that?
  • edited January 2007
    I only caught the
    Jesse James's hand
    . What's the rest?
  • edited January 2007
    Bosco's dates back from HtR as well, though there it was simply called "Bosco's: Guns, Liquor, Baby Needs". You can even
    walk in there and save Bosco from being robbed
    . Also note that in HtR there is a place saying
    "really bad food" at the same place where the diner is in Season 1
    :D .
  • edited January 2007
    This isn't an HtR throwback, but am I the only one who hears Myra laugh a little in mid-blablabla? It sounds like the voice actor couldn't keep herself from chuckling lol
  • edited January 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    This isn't an HtR throwback, but am I the only one who hears Myra laugh a little in mid-blablabla? It sounds like the voice actor couldn't keep herself from chuckling lol
    Noticed that as well... Should probably have been edited out, but what the heck...
  • edited January 2007
    i noticed that too - it's very noticeable as it's quite a short loop
  • edited January 2007
    I wish I could remember all of Vanawatu's variations on 'blah blah blah' from HtR. I recall 'ubida ubida ubida' and 'yib yib yib', but I'm sure there were more.
  • edited January 2007
    Lysandus wrote: »
    I don't think I found out
    , though, where do you find that?
    Look at the bent parking meter next to their office where their car used to be park in Hit the Road.
    The tone of the script as well as the emotion animations is better in Episode 2 than in Episode 1, just so you know. It's one of those famous "implied jokes" where you can fill in the blanks based on what Sam & Max say.
    Tale wrote: »
    I only caught the
    Jesse James's hand
    . What's the rest?

Most of them are around the office, both inside and out, but several of them are scattered throughout the episodes like with the Wak-a-Rats game and
    the swearing in longhand when you look at the Myra! text above her set's door
    octochan wrote: »
    I wish I could remember all of Vanawatu's variations on 'blah blah blah' from HtR. I recall 'ubida ubida ubida' and 'yib yib yib', but I'm sure there were more.
    There was "bow bow bow" which always gets me laughing.
  • edited January 2007
    Found another that was in plain site but missed it entirely until Max's office close up was in the right spot!
    They have a poster of one of the freaks from the Freak Show tent at the Chushmen Circus. The Human Enigma!
  • edited May 2007
    I love how much effort Telltale is putting in to please old time fans. :) I think I remember another reference... Oh, the phone number of the white house telephone is 555-1984. Not quite a reference, but...
  • edited May 2007
    What I find funny though is that in HtR Sam refers to Bosco as
    "Old Mr.Bosco"
  • edited May 2007
    After beating
    Bliss
    for the tenth time now (love that 'battle') I just spotted another HtR reference.
    If you use the saw on Hugh (instead of the box he's in) Sam will cut his head off and say something along the lines of "I'm quite the expert on decapitation now". I just thought it was a reference to knocking the president's head off at first, but then I remembered the start of HtR where they take off the mad scientist's head too.
  • edited May 2007
    This is kind of an obscure one, but if you look at the old case file box repeatedly in ep. 6, the dialogue is a lot like what you get when you repeatedly try to make Sam pick up something un-pick-up-able in HtR.
  • edited May 2007
    you can try to stuck the hundred trillion into jimmys rathole in episode 6

sam says....... "That rathole is nit FDIC insured"
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    I like that in Episode 6 the implication is made (via the
    spoon bending talisman
    dialog) that
    the long-hand cursing wrench-bender in Hit the Road might be a very early follower of prismatology
    tobar wrote: »
    What I find funny though is that in HtR Sam refers to Bosco as
    "Old Mr.Bosco"

Surely Sam is referring to
    Bosco's dad
    . I might have just made that up though.
  • edited May 2007
    I noticed the wrench reference too! um.. lesse.. the poster for the sequal to swan lake and the comment "sequals to much love classics are always better than the originals!" or something to that effect.. oh how I giggled.
  • edited May 2007
    If the wrench bending long hand cursing guy was an early follower of Prismatology, how was he also able to bend a
    screwdriver into a corkscrew, a screwdriver
    "isn't spoony enough" as Sam would say. I'm just kidding, I know it's put in there just for fun.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Maybe he took that power to the next level. Though I find a lot more curious is why he never left, or fix, the *%#@! restaurant or even more curious is where he is now and what else can he bend now.
    And even more, what happened to him when he was
    blissified and maxified

Hi, I'm &#%*! Hugh Bliss
  • edited May 2007
    Oh, c'mon. You know he doesn't curse. He said so himself.
  • edited May 2007
    cowking wrote: »
    If the wrench bending long hand cursing guy was an early follower of Prismatology, how was he also able to bend a
    screwdriver into a corkscrew, a screwdriver
    "isn't spoony enough" as Sam would say. I'm just kidding, I know it's put in there just for fun.

Well, I disagree and that the screwdriver, corkscrew, and wrench are "spoony enough." I mean, the talismen seems to bend objects with a wide, flat base and a skinny neck. All of the above have those properties, though the wrench has a wide area on each side of the skinny neck thingy.
  • edited May 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    Well, I disagree and that the screwdriver, corkscrew, and wrench are "spoony enough." I mean, the talismen seems to bend objects with a wide, flat base and a skinny neck. All of the above have those properties, though the wrench has a wide area on each side of the skinny neck thingy.

Which makes me wonder why I can't use the Talismen on the Gumball machine.... or can I?
  • edited May 2007
    The Easter Egg is a
    completely unusable thingamabob.
    I thought that was a great touch.

And Sam could bend the Gumball Machine, but he chose not to.
  • edited May 2007
    Oh yeah and
    "Shu'val" or whatever his name is was an albino and could change his color just like Hugh Bliss.
  • edited May 2007
    I vaguely remember one of the two asking
    the Mole if the talisman could bend screwdrivers.
    Although, I could be going crazy.

It's funny, Sam
    hasn't actually killed anyone by decapitation in the games despite performing it 2+ times (you don't have to decapitate Hugh)
  • edited May 2007
    HTR: "That's one damned ugly time-bomb!"
    Ep4: "That's one damned ugly puppet!"

Didn't realise until I played HTR again the other day ;)

Edit: This isn't really a throwback, but still a cunning little meta-reference. Remember Max complaining that the
    computer game in episode 6 was too easy and not long enough
    ? Sounds very familiar to me!
  • edited May 2007
    What about the snow globe in episode 6, it says its oddly filmular. ps. sorry for mispellings
  • edited May 2007
    What about the snow globe in episode 6, it says its oddly filmular. ps. sorry for mispellings

It's from episode 4.
  • edited May 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    It's from episode 4.

However, there is a Mystery Vortex refferance in one of the "Do you have any..." lines. Can't remember which episode off the top of my head.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.