Drew Struzan

VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
edited October 2011 in Back to the Future
Now that we've had a glimpse of all the possible monumentalities TTG might achieve - with Christopher Lloyd actually voice-acting and Bob Gale sharing his advice - we might dream a little about all the things that still could be.

Every single part of the Back to the Future triology featured a brilliant, iconic poster by artist extraordinaire Drew Struzan. He's kind of retired by now, but is not only known to occasionally still paint posters, but he's also pretty active with his upcoming book and documentary, he was at SDCC this year and he'll even be at the anniversary reunion.

As he has already done book and even CD covers, honestly, why not an official TTG BTTF game cover? TTG has secured the likeness of Michael J. and Christopher Lloyd, why not have a realistic poster for the game, if the budget possibly allows it? What do you think?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    While we're dreaming I'd like signed poster prints of the original trilogy and his poster for this game.
  • edited September 2010
    As great as it would be, it wouldn't really make sense. The game will have a distinct stylized style, so a realistic portrayal of Fox and Lloyd wouldn't really fit, in my opinion.

Of course, if he would do it, I'd still be happy as Schnitzel (I think the english translation of this still sounds funny :D)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    He could of course use the in-game models, but that'd be a bit of a pity. So many bad BTTF games have featured his original movie art (and in these games, the characters hardly have five pixels a face), the implicit suggestion being: "This is what it looks in the game!". Even with TTG's cartoon approach, this new poster would be far less of a lie. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Get Steve Purcell.
    edited September 2010
    Steve Purcell is a genius, but he can't do that.

gm0807151605598290.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    I'm on it! I absolutely want a Drew Struzan DVD cover for the game. Maybe a "limited edition" cover, like the Steve Purcell one on ToMI?
  • edited September 2010
    Personaly, I like Ryan Jones artwork and wouldn't mind him doing the poster at all.
  • edited September 2010
    I like his artwork too.
    So:
    Ryan Jones for the standard cover, Drew Struzan for the "exclusive limited" cover and it's a win for all of us!
  • edited September 2010
    Drew Struzan is officially retired, though Frank Darabont was able to coax him to make this amazing poster for The Walking Dead.
  • edited September 2010
    Pointless to have an incredible painting, just like the movies, and then have cartoony graphics in the actual game, that doesn't match this design.

But that's just me. I would love to see such an art, but it would kind of be "lying" about the game. I prefer something original over it that matches the game overall design.
  • edited September 2010
    Would love to see him do one more Back to the Future poster but the man's certainly earned his retirement.

It'd be awesome to see Ryan Jones do a poster with his version of the characters in the classic poses from the Struzan posters.
  • edited September 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Pointless to have an incredible painting, just like the movies, and then have cartoony graphics in the actual game, that doesn't match this design.

I'd better go burn my Monkey Island 2 box I guess. :(
    edited September 2010
    One of Struzan's favorite words is "iconic". His paintings have the momentum, the spirit, the feel of the movies. There's likeness also, but that's not really what he's famous for. I presume that a realistic Struzan poster could well communicate the feel of the game without actually using the stylized character models, just like MI2, The Dig, etc.

/edit: And how could I forget to add the "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" box art, which was in fact an hommage to Drew Struzan's work for that movie series! It worked very, very well for me. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    /edit: And how could I forget to add the "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" box art, which was in fact an hommage to Drew Struzan's work for that movie series! It worked very, very well for me. ;)
    Well, technically the game looked just like that painting and wasn't too stylized... only at a very low resolution. But every time there was a close-up of Indy, it was a photo of Ford, so it's not comparable :D

Still, of course, Bill Eaken copied Struzan's style nicely (if a little sparse, compared to what Drew does).
    There's likeness also, but that's not really what he's famous for.
    I have to disagree here. Drew's ability to not only capture the likeness of an actor perfectly, but enhance it by adding "that Drew magic" to it, is one of the key elements of his success. In fact he did his first "Star Wars"-poster because he was so good at doing portraits.
  • edited September 2010
    I'd better go burn my Monkey Island 2 box I guess.

Excuse me, did I mention anywhere that old school graphics were cartoony ?

No I didn't ? Oh well...

MI 1 and 2 covers are perfectly fine with the games... The super over cartoony style with unrealistic graphics only arrived with MI 3

Mi 2's graphics look just like Indiana Jones 4.

I believe you should remember the portrait you see in the game. Were they cartoony ? not really. No matter what they wanted to do, it's not what they did. The games were absolutely not cartoony at this time.

So a "realistic" artwork cover is perfectly fine for me.

But what you're wanting, would like making a "Clone Wars" game with the graphics of the cartoon, and feature a painting cover similar to the movies art.

Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it bothers me.
  • edited September 2010
    Excuse me, did I mention anywhere that old school graphics were cartoony ?

No I didn't ? Oh well...

MI 1 and 2 covers are perfectly fine with the games... The super over cartoony style with unrealistic graphics only arrived with MI 3

Mi 2's graphics look just like Indiana Jones 4.

I believe you should remember the portrait you see in the game. Were they cartoony ? not really. No matter what they wanted to do, it's not what they did. The games were absolutely not cartoony at this time.

lowmoralfibereyes.png

lowmoralfibermouth.png

Maybe MI2's style was a little cartoony... :P
    edited September 2010
    This discussion is old, of course, but I never adhered to the idea that MI2's graphics were "realistic", although I do see where the idea is coming from. The graphics were "detailed" for the time, and had an interesting use of lighting, but the level of iconic abstraction was still rather high. There were deformed perspective elements, exaggerated figure proportions, exaggerated facial features and expressions, pastiche-type background elements, at times excessive use of saturated color, etc: elements of the cartoon. The box art didn't use these elements much and in fact aimed at more realism.

Don't get me wrong on this: I do not see the elements "cartoony" and "realism" as lying along a continuum. Art may and must use elements of both - "always". Yet older games relied to a very large part on elements of the cartoon or "iconic simplification". I presume they had to, because with lower resolutions, only exaggerated elements were really clearly visible and emotionally affected the viewer.

Wether the MI2 box art fit the game style is debatable, there are arguments for both. Naturally, the box art aimed for more detail (because it COULD). Also, I think it actually used a similar color scheme (as, for example, the woodtick setting), thus tying game art with box art. Being works of one artist, some in-game-graphics and the box art naturally shared some similarities. Still, it's the level of detail on the box art that could not ever be considered for the game. Did Steve Purcell use the Guybrush and Lechuck sprites to work from? Did he consider his own original game art to extrapolate from? I really can't say.

What does all my rant contribute to the discussion whether Drew Struzan could do the BTTF game art? Possibly that Drew would also deliver elements of both: An accurate, "realistic" portrayal of Doc and Marty, while still maintaining his abstract, iconic elements in the art. Even TTG's cartoonish approach essentially aims for Doc and Marty's likeness; I would have nothing against the idea that the box art accomplishes this a bit more. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    The adventure RUNAWAY had this great cover from a spanish artist:
    portadarunawayeo8.jpg

While the game was more cartoonish...
    runaway-road-adventure-3.jpg
    edited September 2010
    That is really interesting. In Runaway's home country, they opt for a hand-painted image that has no visible similarity to the actual game style (I played them all!). In other countries, the box art in fact matched the gaming style. I wonder why?
  • edited September 2010
    It was for the re-release with FX interactive. The original release with Dinamic Multimedia, the first distributor (who went bankrupt just after this game) was like the one you show.

The FX interactive release of the second game, Runaway: The dream of the Turtle, also used a not-in-game-models painting for the box art
    Car%C3%A1tula_+Runaway+2+The+dream+of+the+turtle.jpg
    I think that, once again, it wasn't so in other countries

The third game wasn't distributed by FX, and the box art is a render with the game models.
    So I think that the hand-paintings is a FX thing, IIRC they also did their own paintings, different from the rest of the world, for other games (even not Spanish games) such as Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, Jack Keane, Dracula: Origin...
  • edited September 2010
    Oh I didn't know about the Runaway covers ! Mine are "cartoony style".

Those covers look great. But though, they make me wonder (regret ?) what the game could look like with this kind of chara design ... While I thought the games looked fantastic ^^ .

As for Monkey Island 2, I'm not denying the cartoony elements. I just meant that, for its time, the whole game had a realistic look. (Humans that were, based on other "realistic" games, having the right proportions, the shading and the backgrounds were amazing too).

And moreover, with the covers, and the artwork from Monkey 1 they added afterwards like this elaine_guybrush.gif

I really never thought for a second Monkey Island was a simple cartoon. For me it was this genius game which mixed so many elements together, in a great shape. (The end of MI 2 is the perfect exemple of all of this)

I mean, we're far from what we got since Monkey Island 3.

I believe that, for most people who will get it only because it's "back to the future" without knowing too much about it (which means not a single one of us), having a great painting cover, buying it, and then seeing cartoony graphics might be somewhat of a letdown.

While the actual design of the BTTF game looks really great, so they can really make something as cool, while having something true to the game.
    But it's just me.

Maybe a painting style cover but with the design of the game ^^. Could look good...
    edited September 2010
    I really never thought for a second Monkey Island was a simple cartoon.

And it definitly wasn't "simple"! Well, the first game maybe, but the second, never! ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, I always thought Monkey Island was a rather detailed and complex cartoon...but still a cartoon. I enjoy the more realistic close-up portraits, but definitely agreed when Ron Gilbert later said he thought they were way too jarring.
  • edited September 2010
    I don't know, I think the majority of people who pick up a BTTF game box with a Drew Struzan image on the front would be smart enough to know that the game probably doesn't really look like a Drew Struzan painting. Besides, that's what screenshots are for.
  • edited September 2010
    I think it could work, like the slip-cover for ToMI.
  • edited September 2010
    Steve Purcell is a genius, but he can't do that.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6527/gm0807151605598290.jpg
    Now that's not true.
    Drew Struzan is a true legend, but I was never fan of his work.. too kitchy for my taste.
    However, I'd still love to see him doing the cover for the game. When I think of Back to the future movies, his posters first come to mind.
    edited September 2010
    I got Drew's new book yesterday - "The Art of Drew Struzan". While the art is really brilliant, the text is rather depressing and a return to BTTF art very unlikely.

I'm pretty sure that if any of the TTG team is wearing a suit approaching him, he won't even bother talking to them. ;)

/edit: OK, one quick and (on purpose!!) badly lit peek into that beautiful book. It does mean that Drew Struzan is not running out of ideas, and it also means that this is a really great book to have. Now go and buy it. ;)

bttf22small.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    Got mine on Friday as well, and it's soooo good... although after getting to the last page I'm hungry for more. I wish he'd do this for all the posters he did.

But you're right, it's sad to see how and why he decided to retire. Stupid movie business!! (Although he seemed to enjoy his work on the BTTF-posters a lot, especially since the two Bobs, as well as Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd were so open-minded)

(Also: A great foreword by Frank Darabont!)
  • edited September 2010
    I got Drew's new book yesterday - "The Art of Drew Struzan". While the art is really brilliant, the text is rather depressing and a return to BTTF art very unlikely.

He's got a new art book out? Must find now.
  • edited September 2010
    He's got a new art book out? Must find now.

Here you go: The Art of Drew Struzan

This one is a bit different though. Most of the posters in this book can be found in his Oeuvre already, but here the design process for some of them (40 movies are covered in this book) is described in detail, showing off a lot of pencil sketches, comprehensives and even finished but unused posters. Drew explains how some concepts came to be, and how some did not... he writes about the ups and especially the downs of working in the modern movie business (something that ultimately led to his - for my taste way too early - retirement).
  • edited September 2010
    Sounds fantastic. I'm definitely ordering that. Thanks!
  • edited September 2010
    I wonder if he'd be up for simply allowing one of those completed, unused, designs for a Telltale slipcase. He wouldn't have to actually do any work and come out of retirement...
    edited September 2010
    Struzan aimed to capture the feel of the movie(s) with his art, and TTG aims to achieve the very same feel with the game episodes, so essentially, one of these comps could be used.

But it would just not feel right. After all, something special, different from the previous movies has to happen in the game, which MUST be reflected on the cover art to make this an individual thing.
  • edited September 2010
    Yes, but the slipcase is an addendum to the actual cover art. A nod to the fans.
    edited September 2010
    But you're right, it's sad to see how and why he decided to retire. Stupid movie business!! (Although he seemed to enjoy his work on the BTTF-posters a lot, especially since the two Bobs, as well as Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd were so open-minded)

(Also: A great foreword by Frank Darabont!)

Yes, MJF and the Bobs count as great experiences for Drew. Also Dustin Hoffman, I think. I'm really not sure about George Lucas, who seemed to willingly distance himself from Struzan, letting middleman after middleman ruin Drew's work...

Concerning Darabont's introductory words: They are brutal, feverish, deeply sarcastic and very angry. I don't know in how far this could be called "great"; you really get the impression that the art form is literally dying, which makes me sad. :(
  • edited September 2010
    But it would just not feel right. After all, something special, different from the previous movies has to happen in the game, which MUST be reflected on the cover art to make this an individual thing.

I still think having Ryan Jones do the classic Struzan BttF pose with his versions of the characters would be a great compromise.
  • edited September 2010
    I always thought that on a BTTF4 poster Marty would look at his cell phone instead of his watch... and today this was posted on the TTG-blog:

5012010603_e309bcc531_z.jpg

... with the guy on the right doing just that. I guess it was more obvious an idea that I thought.
    I still think having Ryan Jones do the classic Struzan BttF pose with his versions of the characters would be a great compromise.
    Yeah, I think that would be the best.
    Concerning Darabont's introductory words: They are brutal, feverish, deeply sarcastic and very angry. I don't know in how far this could be called "great"; you really get the impression that the art form is literally dying, which makes me sad. :(
    Of course "great" didn't mean "nice". It was just good to see him so supportive of Drew, and being so vocal about it.
    edited September 2010
    I always thought that on a BTTF4 poster Marty would look at his cell phone instead of his watch

Noooo! There are no cell phones in 2015!! They're all GOING AWAY!! ;)
    Of course "great" didn't mean "nice". It was just good to see him so supportive of Drew, and being so vocal about it.

...and I came across a little too dismissive of Darabont's effort. The level of affront in his words really made me smile.

If I interpret Drew's words in the book correctly, it isn't exactly "his" BTTF pose. The decisive influence for the final composition in fact came from an unnamed other artist, although of course Drew posed for Marty and painted himself from the neck down. :D
    edited November 2010
    As great as it would be, it wouldn't really make sense. The game will have a distinct stylized style, so a realistic portrayal of Fox and Lloyd wouldn't really fit, in my opinion.

Although realistic would be the way to go in my opinion, Drew is also quite experienced with placing cartoony characters in realistic environments. Might be an interesting composition with the in-game models. (I dare not ask how far you got with your "Siege of Spinner Cay" poster)

gl0807070956393252.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    oh man Drew Struzan art for this game would be mmmmm, so nice. More than likely improbable, but nice.

Really wishing I had the extra dough to get the 'Art of' book. My wallet has a sad. =(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.