Tales of Monkey Island translation information

edited December 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
The tthread on top is 1 Year old ...... where are the Game in german ? spanish ? etc.

Where are the news ..... when comes the game to europe in the european Languages ????

The Communities are waiting and waiting ...... but the news 1 Year old .

i am very angry about that its a very big big *'#** *beeep*

greetings

Hogol

Comments

• edited September 2010
    The German version of Tales will be out on the 26. of october.
    The Publisher is Daedalic ("The whispered world"). They even got Norman Matt as Guybrush (he also did Curse and Escape in German and he is great).

source (German): http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/tales-of-monkey-island-season-1/news/tales_of_monkey_island,45993,2317712.html
  • edited September 2010
    No Spanish love?
    Or this is going to be La Decepción Grande?
  • edited September 2010
    Sorry for double-posting.
    This is a message for seher (Telltale's localization coordinator).
    Please try as hard as you can to have a full Spanish localization!
    There's a Spanish company that uses to put a great effort to obtaing quality localizations: FX Interactive. I think they also make Italian localization/distribution. They used to be known for distributing adventure games (The Longest Journey, Morpheus, Runaway, Jack Keane, Traitor's Gate, Sherlock Holmes...), although they lately are going more towards RPG/strategy games...
    You can also contact Digital Bros (who distributed the last Runaway game, with a great dubbing work) or FriendWare (The Abbey, A Vampire Story, Ghost Pirates of Voujuu Island...)
    Please, don't disappoint us, we Spanish adventure gamers are kinda upset after the Sam&Max Season 2 fiasco.
  • edited October 2010
    If ever it will be an official multilanguage translation of Telltales games alredy released, I hope you guys will provide free patches for who alredy brought those games :rolleyes:
  • edited October 2010
    It would be great, but it has never been that way.
    The multilanguage release doesn't depend on Telltale, but on some international distributor.
    Now, I'll be just happy if there IS a multilanguage release, even if I have to pay for it again (just like I did with the first two sam & Max seasons)
  • edited October 2010
    It would be great, but it has never been that way.
    The multilanguage release doesn't depend on Telltale, but on some international distributor.
    Now, I'll be just happy if there IS a multilanguage release, even if I have to pay for it again (just like I did with the first two sam & Max seasons)

I know things are going that way :(

But I still hope that one day every gamers, worldwide, will enjoy the excitement to play this games in episodic form and in their own language, exactly the same way our American/English friends do, instead of waiting for a retail localized version that never will came up, eventually.

So I'm hoping in a native multilanguage support at the moment of the internet release of each episode, bypassing the local publishers. I mean, there are plenty of people, out there, that will translate this games gladly: how expensive could be for Telltale to hire some of them to do this officially instead of ask for the same thing at the local publisher?

All right, the local publisher usually brings the games in the stores too but, at this point, I don't mind the retail version at all. All I care is the game in itself and I can always buy the DVD version from the official Telltale store, if I want it into physical support.
  • edited October 2010
    Also would like to get a downloadable version of the german version. Don't want to pay again for a game I already have (twice DL+DVD).
    Hope this will one day be possible.

Thanks.
  • edited October 2010
    Wohooo... the German Version comes on 9.11. (Birthday of my son :cool: )
    AND... in a lim. Edition in EUROBOX (like the old Boxes from MI1-4) - can`t
    wait for it :eek:

euro_box_tomi.jpg
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    I just thought: "He can't mean 'eurobox', he just means that it doesn't come in a standard DVD case". But, indeed, they're releasing this in the now-antique eurobox format. Weird stuff. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Spain, once again, sadly forgotten. :(
  • edited October 2010
    I want my English vers-

Oh. Wait. Never mind. I'm cool. (If you all want, I could play the game for you translate the jokes into Russermanishanese.)
  • edited October 2010
    The_Ripper wrote: »
    Spain, once again, sadly forgotten. :(

Which isn't Telltale's fault, I guess... publishers have to propose their intereset in a localization, don't they? So if no Spanish publisher says they want to do it, there's no Spanish version...
  • edited October 2010
    The heck with the publishers :(

Who need them nowadays, with digital delivery direct market? Why the software houses can't simply translate their games for its own or, at least, release free translation tools for the fans?
  • edited October 2010
    Telltale: Hire good translators and make downloadable language packs, available to buy for, say, $5 each extra language, when you previously own the English version.
  • edited October 2010
    Yes, that's a possibility and I would gladly pay for it but... think about it: the two Special Edition of Monkey Island, from Lucasart, came into Steam and Direct2Drive market with native multilanguage support, without extra fees and so a few other games (I think at "Broken Sword - Director's cut edition" for example) so I don't think it would be right to extra charge foreign costumers to let them play in their own mother language.

I mean, I know it is an extra cost for the software house to hire a translation team but, on other hands, the translated product will also open the doors to many other costumers left previously behind, so I think the translations will repay itself.
  • edited October 2010
    ric-82 wrote: »
    Yes, that's a possibility and I would gladly pay for it but... think about it: the two Special Edition of Monkey Island, from Lucasart, came into Steam and Direct2Drive market with native multilanguage support, without extra fees and so a few other games (I think at "Broken Sword - Director's cut edition" for example) so I don't think it would be right to extra charge foreign costumers to let them play in their own mother language.

But in the Monkey Island case it was already translated into other languages, they just had to pick the data and put them into the game. At least I guess, that's how they did it. With some additional changes, due to dialouge changes. It is/was very cheap anyway, regarding how much work they put in the first release, in other countries and now remastering it.

What I mean to say is: I would understand and willingly pay some bucks for something like a translation-app, if I really wanted/needed it. Hell, I'll be paying about 40€ for the German localization next month. xD"
  • edited October 2010
    But in the Monkey Island case it was already translated into other languages

It's true, it was previously translated, but the subtitles for the new versions are different from the early one (at least, I'm speaking of the Italian subtitles, i don't know about other languages) so I'm sure they've translated the original text again, for some reason.
  • edited October 2010
    Telltale: Hire good translators and make downloadable language packs, available to buy for, say, $5 each extra language, when you previously own the English version.

Heretic! :D
  • edited October 2010
    BTW, I almost hate how TT is handling the translations.....
    after more than 1 year no word on French, Spanish or Italian versions.... only the German one is out, and absolutely no word on the official TT website.
    They also hired a "Localization coordinator" to make sure that no info on translations come out.

My thought:
    I think TT earns more from the download of the English game than from the localized copy that has to pass through a publisher. That's why they are happy with fan-made subtitles - because we buy the english version and patch it.
    IMHO TT is basically making profit upon fans that took translations on their shoulders and carefully translated in their own language and put them in a patch....

My wish for the future: TT has to clarify the localization strategy when the game is out.
    IE: do the fans have to translate the new Back to the Future games by themself, or they can wait and buy a localized version soon?
  • edited October 2010
    So yes, I am the Localization Coordinator but that doesn't mean that I make the decisions about what languages to translate into. That's a decision made way above my pay grade, I just execute those decisions. We'd love to do translations in every language but the cost to do so is definitely not trivial so we do translations when we, or a publisher, believes it makes sense financially (remember, at the end of the day, games are a business).

Also, I can only release information that I am authorized to. Obviously I know our loc strategies for upcoming titles but if I released that before my bosses wanted it out I'd be fired.

And I'm sure that somebody is going to ask why we don't just hire fans to do translations for cheaper. As to that, there's a lot of license/legal difficulties with that so it's just not something we can do.
    ________
    Toyota Platz
  • edited October 2010
    I appreciate your partecipation to this thread, really.

I understand all the difficulties you may have but think about this: many people don't buy the games in English language, via Digital Delivery, because they still waiting for a localization that may never came up because the Publisher will never release a localized game in a market already troubled, in which there are already present fan-made subtitles.

You can save on translations, all right, but you loose customers too so... wher's the convenience, at the end?

We're speaking of great franchises, worldwide well known and loved, such as "Sam & Max", "Monkey Island", "Back to the future", "Jurassic Park"... I can't believe you can't find profits, even on long terms, in a native multilanguage support, bypassing the local publisher.

Rest assure that, if multilanguage versions of the games will one day be released directly from Telltales store, I would pay a little more for those, because I'll understand your efforts but please, don't leave us non-American/English players so lonely :(
  • edited October 2010
    Seher, thanks for the reply.
    You have a bad task imho: regain trust after the Atari Incident.
    I had to buy a French copy to play Italian, and after 2.5 years of patience.
    Now with Tales we are at more than one year of waiting (not waiting a localization, but waiting to know if there's a localization goin' on!).
    I think that you should convince your superiors that being more transparent means less angry fans.

Sorry if I'm a little bit rude - i love your games so much - but I think I take the voice of many foreign people who cannot post here because of their language! ;)
  • edited November 2010
    if we make a request to Fx Interactive show our concern for the spanish version of Tales of Mokey Island? ...

this is the first monkey island that isn't located in spanish.

EDIT

I've sent a email to director of fx interactive... :)
  • edited December 2010
    seher wrote: »
    So yes, I am the Localization Coordinator but that doesn't mean that I make the decisions about what languages to translate into. That's a decision made way above my pay grade, I just execute those decisions. We'd love to do translations in every language but the cost to do so is definitely not trivial so we do translations when we, or a publisher, believes it makes sense financially (remember, at the end of the day, games are a business).

I see that "Back to the Future" comes with German and French languages: no Italian or Spanish subtitles, but I'm happy to see a step in the right direction! :)
  • edited December 2010
    http://www.pollodegomaconpolea.net/2010/11/fx-interactive-podria-editar-tales-of.html

FX director replied me with good news, sorry for not having commented here before.
    loixartx wrote: »
    if we make a request to Fx Interactive show our concern for the spanish version of Tales of Mokey Island? ...

this is the first monkey island that isn't located in spanish.

EDIT

I've sent a email to director of fx interactive... :)
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, my! If that's true and they are successful on their negotiations, these are superb news!!
    I hope they also negotiate the rights for the Spanish retail distribution of Back to the Future... and get them!
  • edited December 2010
    I'm glad to read this! I hope this negotiations will end successfully!
  • edited December 2010
    If FX finally gets the rights for the Spanish localization, maybe we'll be more fortunate than the German people.
    FX has always done quality translations and dubbings, and it's quite possible that they get the very same dubbing actors from the movies themselves!
  • edited December 2010
    If FX finally gets the rights for the Spanish localization, maybe we'll be more fortunate than the German people.
    FX has always done quality translations and dubbings, and it's quite possible that they get the very same dubbing actors from the movies themselves!

Not so fast... the negotiations are for TOMI only. :(

I hope it will be more negotiations for bring here BTTF and JP.

No te aceleres... las negociaciones son solo para Monkey Island.

Pero estaria bien que trajeran también los juegos de Regreso al Futuro y Jurassic Park. En ese caso FX lo mimaria al maximo como tu dices, estoy seguro.
  • edited December 2010
    The_Ripper wrote: »
    Not so fast... the negotiations are for TOMI only. :(

I hope it will be more negotiations for bring here BTTF and JP.

No te aceleres... las negociaciones son solo para Monkey Island.

Pero estaria bien que trajeran también los juegos de Regreso al Futuro y Jurassic Park. En ese caso FX lo mimaria al maximo como tu dices, estoy seguro.
    My fault, I was daydreaming.
    Concerning TOMI, if they finally get the rights, I hope they hire the same voice actor from Curse and Escape... and hopefully the actor use his "normal" COMI voice, not that awful high-pitched voice from EFMI...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.