Is the 5 episodes of "Tales Of Monkey Island" considered canon?

In "Escape from Monkey Island", the Voodoo lady talked about that there would only be 5 games. Now I consider the whole 5 episodes of "Tales Of Monkey Island" as one game. Is "Tales Of Monkey Island" considered canon and could be the fifth and final in the series?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Voodoo Lady said she had a 5-game contract. It could certainly be renewed in the future. ;)

But yes ToMI is considered an "official" 5th Monkey Island game.
  • edited September 2010
    I don't really see how the games could be considered non-canon myself. I mean, the game was produced in conjunction with Lucasarts and Ron Gilbert was brought in as a consultant.
  • edited September 2010
    Yes, it certainly is canon, as it's an official game. If it were a fan game, then no; but seeing as how it's an official game that LucasArts allowed Telltale to make, then yes - it's canon, without a doubt.
  • edited September 2010
    As of right now, yes. There's nothing to dispute it. If LucasArts in the future made a game that completely ignored it, then it wouldn't be. That's how these things work.
  • edited September 2010
    They're just as canon as CMI and EMI. They're slightly less canon for MI1/2/Ron Gilbert fanatics. :D
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks to Tales, Guybrush's line in Curse "With the potential for a few more sequels..." is now funny again rather than just depressing.
  • edited October 2010
    If EFMI is canon, so is TMI.

And Ziggy, just because Voodoo Lady might not be around for five games doesn't mean Guybrush, Elaine, and LeChuck won't be. Who knows? Maybe someone will kill her off. Maybe she will die of old age. Only God, the enigmatic Voodoo Lady, and the producers know what will happen. ^.^
  • edited October 2010
    More so than BTTFTG will be.

(Anyone else miffed that SFX covered the anniversary and did a retrospective of the films and reviewed the BluRay and utterly failed to mention the forthcoming game? Especially after they did down the idea of a fourth movie)
  • edited October 2010
    yes
  • edited October 2010
    Whereas the Voodoo Lady said she's got a contract for 5 games, Guybrush said (to Meathook) in EMI that he's got a contract for AT LEAST 5 games.

So, no worries. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    I found it ironic that guybrush said he had a 5 game contract, and on game #5(tales) he dies.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, but he also dies(ish) in SMI (rubber treee) and CMI (can be more than once).
  • edited October 2010
    And at least SAYS he died in LeChuck's Revenge if you fail the acid trap puzzle.

...also it's not really ironic. Like, at all.
  • edited October 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Voodoo Lady said she had a 5-game contract. It could certainly be renewed in the future. ;)

But yes ToMI is considered an "official" 5th Monkey Island game.

Telltale Games have already said that they don't consider this the fifth game of the series, that Tales is happening after a future fifth game.

So it's closer to a sixth game with the fifth yet to be made. :p
  • edited October 2010
    Heksesang wrote: »
    Telltale Games have already said that they don't consider this the fifth game of the series, that Tales is happening after a future fifth game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6GuxrGao4A
  • edited October 2010
    Heksesang wrote: »

You mean we're acctually going to learn all the trials Guybrush went throught to assemble the Cursed Cutlass of Caflue and obtain the impossible-to-obtain Voodoo rootbeer?
  • edited October 2010
    See the link Sailorcutness posted a bit earlier in the thread for the answer.
  • edited October 2010
    ...also it's not really ironic. Like, at all.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/irony
  • edited October 2010
    ^ This.
  • edited October 2010
    Personally, I found the "lost" MI5 joke a fun little idea. It reminded me of LSL4.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.