Any difference between DVD install versus entire season download install?

I was thinking about getting either the Standard or Deluxe Edition discs since I don't want to leave too big a footprint on my hard disk (approx 500 MB per episode), and not to mention I want to be able to play all the episodes without any "gaps" (i.e. cliffhangers) as if it were just one whole game.

Is there any way to play the entire season as if it were just one program? I have tons of icon clutter going on already, and it would be nice if I could play all of them by simply running one application, not to mention save game data would be read from one chapter to the next.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Well, installing the games on a DVD gives you one .exe shortcut that has a selection screen for the chapters, as well as the DVD extras if you have the disc in the drive. I would go for installing the games on the DVD if you're worried about the clutter on your desktop.
  • edited September 2010
    DVD also has Earl Boen in Chapter 1.
  • edited September 2010
    Also, the DVD has no DRM, and when you launch the games, they open directly without running the launcher. There's also no "thanks for playing" thing when you quit.
  • edited September 2010
    Well, installing the games on a DVD gives you one .exe shortcut that has a selection screen for the chapters, as well as the DVD extras if you have the disc in the drive. I would go for installing the games on the DVD if you're worried about the clutter on your desktop.
    Is this true? Is the install size smaller too (since everything would be ran off the disc)?

That said, one person said that the DVD doesn't install as one file, but I guess they're wrong if that's the case.

I might as well get the Collector's Edition.
  • edited September 2010
    sfried wrote: »
    Is this true?
    In my experience, yes.
    sfried wrote:
    Is the install size smaller too (since everything would be ran off the disc)?
    I haven't actually compared the installs, but it's probably not appreciably smaller, because it's not run off the disc. The game is fully installed to your computer from the disc, and does not need to be in the drive to play.
  • edited September 2010
    Is this true? Is the install size smaller too (since everything would be ran off the disc)?

That said, one person said that the DVD doesn't install as one file, but I guess they're wrong if that's the case.

I might as well get the Collector's Edition.

Well, I'm not entirely sure about install size, but I know that when you install the DVD you will get a launcher, as I mentioned previously. No, the DVD doesn't install as one file, they are still pretty much installed the exact same way as the downloadable versions, so the only advantage is the launcher.
  • edited September 2010
    So what happens when you reach the end of the chapter? Do you jump to the next one immediately or so you have to watch the credits first, exit the chapter, and play the next one off the launcher?

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have gotten the Deluxe Edition in hindsight. I didn't need all of those trinkets...just the nice case art. Besides this would technically be my first foray into the series (also gotten MI:SE and MI2:SE off Steam but haven't played them yet), so I'm not so sure what to do with the coasters and stuff.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, you have to exit the game and load the next chapter manually.

Also, it was unofficially confirmed by Will that the DVD has zero DRM on it, so that's a huge bonus.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, you have to exit the game and load the next chapter manually.
    That's kind of a bummer. I honestly though Telltale would just seam together the Chapters to make it play like a regular Monkey Island game. Instead I'd have to endure the stingers and 30 seconds of exit, select next chapter, then recap.

It's like watching a DVD series season with all of the ads still in-between the commercial breaks. (But I guess I'm just being nitpicky.)
  • edited September 2010
    From a technical standpoint, it's just not possible. Besides, removing the recaps would require them to rewrite the beginning and end of each chapter, and that'd be plain wrong.

Plus it takes just over 6 hours to finish the game if you play it as fast as possible, and what sane person would do that in one stretch?

You know, unless they had a really good reason, like a race or something...
  • edited September 2010
    It's like watching a DVD series season with all of the ads still in-between the commercial breaks.

A television show on DVD doesn't usually edit all the episodes together into one 20-hour movie, and I for one would be very annoyed if it did. Similarly, Tales of Monkey Island preserves the original episode divisions. :)
  • edited September 2010
    A television show on DVD doesn't usually edit all the episodes together into one 20-hour movie, and I for one would be very annoyed if it did. Similarly, Tales of Monkey Island preserves the original episode divisions. :)
    Oh, but they did it with the Star Trek Season ender/beginner when they released it as a "movie" :) . Similarly, I wish the game just cut right into the next chapter in much the same way the old Monkey Island games did. The recaps would simply appear after the chapter introduction.

Plus this technically counts as a 20-hour game with anywhere saving. It's not that same as a movie.
  • edited September 2010
    Oh, but they did it with the Star Trek Season ender/beginner when they released it as a "movie" :) .
    Bad example. Pilot episodes (if two hours) are usually produced as a movie and aired that way. In fact, separated reruns of those have usually about 4 minutes cut to make up for the additional "last time on Star Trek", intro and end credits sequences. This goes for TNG pilot and end episode, DS9 pilot and end episode and VGR pilot episode at least. Probably also for the DS9 season 4 opener and the VGR finale, but I've never seen separated edits of those.
    And yes, there are movie edits of other TNG episodes, but not within the regular release.

That gives me the idea: How about Telltale producing some Star Trek adventures next?
  • edited September 2010
    That gives me the idea: How about Telltale producing some Star Trek adventures next?
    Use "Technobabble" on "plot device".

Speakng of which, I just got my Deluxe Ed. package. Looks like it did give me one icon link for everything.
  • edited October 2010
    (But I guess I'm just being nitpicky.)

Yes, you are.
  • edited October 2010
    I like to collect boxes.
  • edited October 2010
    If you are worried about the game being heavy on your OS, then I recommend installing them through Sandboxie. Leaves no mark on your computer what so ever.

Link: http://www.sandboxie.com/

I've used it since I reformatted it, 6 months ago, and it's still running like a new machine.
  • edited October 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    I like to collect boxes.

youtubethumbup.png

Yes, thankyou! Someone with the same mindset as me. Nothing beats the physical copy, whether it be games, CD's, films, etc.
  • edited October 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    youtubethumbup.png

Yes, thankyou! Someone with the same mindset as me. Nothing beats the physical copy, whether it be games, CD's, films, etc.

So true, I buy all the boxes to my music and films, and games. :)
  • Oh, thanks for the suggestion jannar. I'll check this out.

I still dislike the stingers in each ep. Same goes for BttF The Game and the teasers they show at the end: It's kinda pointless considering I have the entire game.

jannar85 posted: »

If you are worried about the game being heavy on your OS, then I recommend installing them through Sandboxie. Leaves no mark on your computer

Sign in to comment in this discussion.