Would they really risk disappointing and upsetting fans? I bet michael j fox has

edited September 2010 in Back to the Future
...already recorded his parts for this game. There's no way with the game this close to the end that they would just let things go and then on release day say by the way it's not him...

It feels way more like a surprise than a disappointment to me. They would have released details by now and there's no way he hasn't been asked about this role if they asked Christopher Loyd...

They've most likely started the game by now and have a pretty darn good idea who's playing who, if they haven't already started recording...

Not casting M J Fox is like casting a new actor for Indiana Jones in a sequel movie... :rolleyes:

Comments

• edited September 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Not casting M J Fox is like casting a new actor for Indiana Jones in a sequel movie... :rolleyes:

:( :( :( Shia LaBoeuf... *runs away crying*
  • edited September 2010

No. It's like not casting Harrison Ford to do voiceover work for Indiana Jones videogames.

• edited September 2010
    But "Michael J. Fox is returning" would be a way bigger coup. That they are not announcing anything seems, to me, like evidence that Fox is not returning.

Like with Wallace in "Wallace and Gromit" and LeChuck, correct me if I am wrong, but we never heard anything about them getting new voices until the credits of the first game, right? But with Guybrush, we all knew that Dominic Armato would return, and I believe that even Boyd was happily announced as returning. So far, the only voice that has been announced is Lloyd. If they had gotten more, I think we would have heard about it, by now. I am hoping for more returning voices, I really am, but I am not holding my breath, especially not for Fox, as much as I would love to see him voice Marty.
  • edited September 2010
    Lord-z wrote: »
    But "Michael J. Fox is returning" would be a way bigger coup. That they are not announcing anything seems, to me, like evidence that Fox is not returning.

Like with Wallace in "Wallace and Gromit" and LeChuck, correct me if I am wrong, but we never heard anything about them getting new voices until the credits of the first game, right? But with Guybrush, we all knew that Dominic Armato would return, and I believe that even Boyd was happily announced as returning. So far, the only voice that has been announced is Lloyd. If they had gotten more, I think we would have heard about it, by now. I am hoping for more returning voices, I really am, but I am not holding my breath, especially not for Fox, as much as I would love to see him voice Marty.
    jp-30 wrote:
    No. It's like not casting Harrison Ford to do voiceover work for Indiana Jones videogames.

Well, I love M J Fox but he's not a Harrison Ford, he's not one of the highest grossing actors of the century... He (MJ FOX) does lots of voice acting too, and they said this is more like a sequel, movie type thing, story first, than it is a game.

So, assuming he could do it and TTG can pay, why wouldn't he? Esp when they already got Christopher Loyd...
  • edited September 2010
    LOL, I just thought your analogy was off. Still do.
    Like with Wallace in "Wallace and Gromit" and LeChuck, correct me if I am wrong, but we never heard anything about them getting new voices until the credits of the first game, right?

I'm pretty sure we knew Wallace's official voice double was being used prior to the game's release.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Very valuable thoughts by community members concerning this issue can be found in the four pages strong "Michael J. Fox may not be able to do the game"-thread.

It essentially boils down to whether MJF CAN do it, and wether TTG CAN pay for it. The simple idea that Michael has to do this just because the opposite is unthinkable for the fans - that is just not a finished thought, or highly illogical.
    ...already recorded his parts for this game. There's no way with the game this close to the end that they would just let things go and then on release day say by the way it's not him...

If Michael J. can not do this, there will - OF COURSE!! - not be any official announcement. Think about this on the front page: "Michael J. Fox not reprising his role". Of course, there will be debates on the forums, but as for the official press releases, there will be none concerning that matter. TTG would have to do this as quietly and unnoticed as humanly possible.

There might be some truth in the idea that recording should begin right now (after all, Christopher Lloyd started). Still, Marty's lines could be delayed to fit MJ's schedule or to make still more room for the possibility that he accepts TTG's offer; or he has already accepted, but TTG delays the news to have more of a punch for future press releases, closer to the game release; or MJF wasn't and will not be able to do this, and we are hearing the exact silence as noted above.
  • edited September 2010
    So, assuming he could do it and TTG can pay, why wouldn't he? Esp when they already got Christopher Loyd...

For GOD's SAKE !!!

There's ONE MAJOR REASON : He has parkinson's disease and it got much much worse. HE doesn't have the time nor strength to voice so many lines on a regular basis. Moreover he has to go Tell Tales's studio to record his voice, it's not really the easiest thing for him.

But hey, I know you're not gonna agree with me. Luckily, we already know you're wrong, since a voice actor (james arnold taylor) already confirmed he auditionned for Marty, which means he wasn't the only one, which means there is no MJ Fox.
  • edited September 2010
    I insist that Fox will do an Earl Boen type of thing. He will do only one recording, and like both Boyd and Boen, he will do it from the comfort of the place where he lives.
  • edited September 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we knew Wallace's official voice double was being used prior to the game's release.

I did some research and dug up a thread where it is mentioned that Sallis would not play Wallace in the game. It was not said by Telltale, though, it was an article on Mixnmojo that first mentioned it. Like someone else said, Telltale is not going to comment on all the people they couldn't get.
  • edited September 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    I insist that Fox will do an Earl Boen type of thing. He will do only one recording, and like both Boyd and Boen, he will do it from the comfort of the place where he lives.

I hope you're right, I'm sure he'd love to be involved. I suspect his absence would be through necessity rather than choice.
  • edited September 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    For GOD's SAKE !!!

There's ONE MAJOR REASON : He has parkinson's disease and it got much much worse. HE doesn't have the time nor strength to voice so many lines on a regular basis. Moreover he has to go Tell Tales's studio to record his voice, it's not really the easiest thing for him.

But hey, I know you're not gonna agree with me. Luckily, we already know you're wrong, since a voice actor (james arnold taylor) already confirmed he auditionned for Marty, which means he wasn't the only one, which means there is no MJ Fox.

angry%20baby%20hitler.jpg&t=1

MJ Fox struggles with his parkinsons, but he still leads a active life and tries to keep occupied.He's a real inspiration.

No, I don't agree or disagree with you. I never said he COULD do it, this is if he is doing it. If he can...I think you're sort of selling him sort, even if there undoubtedly is truth, which there is, to how hard he struggles, he still lives as full a life as he CAN, and as he chooses to try to...

Good for James Arnold Taylor, forgive me for making a creative assumption, but maybe...just maybe there will be more than one part of Marty to voice...

EDIT:

Also, I'm suggesting that if they wait to tell me MJ FOX isn't in it I'm just going to be MORE disappointed than if they just come out and say it now that he can't, doesn't want to. I'm ok either way but will be disappointed if they lead me on...

Now, please put away your weapons, I mean you no harm...
  • edited September 2010
    Well, as much of a dissapointment it would be for MJF to not be reprising his role as Marty, I think that his healh should be our first and foremost concern.

We know he has done Atlantis and Stuart little 1 and 2, so he is capabal of voice acting on his good days, but, after seeing him on Oprah a few years back, I can only imagine it has gotten worse for my favorite actor... :(

If he doesen't have the strength to do it, we will still most likely get Thomas Wilson back as Biff as he does voice acting for cartoons and stuff. Time will tell if the price is right for him to reprise his role as the guy we love to hate. :cool:
  • edited September 2010
    I think mjf may be doing the voice for marty, since he is more then able to do voice work and he is starting a new role on a tv show this fall. He prolly cant do both at the same time so he is prolly waiting til they are done filming to do the bttf game voice work :D
  • edited September 2010
    bttf1985cc wrote: »
    I think mjf may be doing the voice for marty, since he is more then able to do voice work and he is starting a new role on a tv show this fall. He prolly cant do both at the same time so he is prolly waiting til they are done filming to do the bttf game voice work :D

Please, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it would be right to lead us on. I don't want to know the last minute. It's no secret who is playing doc, and if they don't let me know ahead of time, I'm not going to be open minded to the sudden news that some one else is playing him, meet bob...

They should just break the ice now, so that we can get into it...I don't want a last minute, everyone's back but Marty notice...

I am understanding and mature enough to understand if he CAN'T do it, but I admit that I have faith that he can do some voice work for this role.

If he can, I really don't know but MJ Fox is a very inspiring person and he does what he chooses to do the best he can, and he really tries to live an active life.

If he does take the role, I am rooting for him, my heart goes out to him, as for the game, it's a masterpiece...he does struggle but he lives his life, he does the best he can, in whatever he chooses to do and has to do. He's a real inspiration. I hope if they go to him, he may try it, but if he doesn't I'll understand.

I'll be first to admit it's sort of childish but i will be a little sad, not because he didn't feel like doing it or couldn't but because we all love him in the role and it would just be great for everyone to have him voice marty one more time. Definitely considering his hard ships and physical struggles, it would be so beautiful and liberating to hear his voice in an animated character who didn't have the same physical struggles as he does. It would be damn inspiring.

Of course his health comes first, of course, but if you ever read this guy's book, or listen to him talk, he's really a man's man. He really lives his life and he's a real inspiration.
  • edited September 2010
    You're not being lead on by Telltale, though. You're own assumptions and desires are leading you on.
  • edited September 2010
    Under the circumstances its not a deal breaker if they can not get Micheal to do it... Besides there are plenty of talented voice actors out there that can do it justice and could use the work.... Support the little guys and have faith that TTG will pick the right person if they can not get him to do it.
  • edited September 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    You're not being lead on by Telltale, though. You're own assumptions and desires are leading you on.
    It's true, I'm driven by my desires and passion. It could be considered a weakness. I'm not really assuming because then I'd have to credit it some how with some sort of mathematical value, or some sort of logical reasoning, something, to give it credibility. I'm really just hoping. Though at the start of this thread I was making assumptions, :p but out of hope more than precision of any sort.

Irishmile wrote: »
    Under the circumstances its not a deal breaker if they can not get Micheal to do it... Besides there are plenty of talented voice actors out there that can do it justice and could use the work.... Support the little guys and have faith that TTG will pick the right person if they can not get him to do it.

It's true. I think maybe it was wrong to bring him into it personally, his life goes far beyond his career but it is inspiring that he does keep active and is still creative in his work. Either way he is still the man.
  • edited September 2010
    Either way he is still the man.

Amen.
  • edited September 2010
    I did some research and dug up a thread where it is mentioned that Sallis would not play Wallace in the game. It was not said by Telltale, though, it was an article on Mixnmojo that first mentioned it.

I'm pretty sure Mojo's source on that was in fact an article in which Telltale said as much.
  • edited September 2010
    (I hope Michael J Fox isn't reading this thread. You're not obliged to take part in this game, after all.)
  • edited September 2010
    (I hope Michael J Fox isn't reading this thread. You're not obliged to take part in this game, after all.)

I don't think we understand each other.

No one in here said he was obligated to take the part. I'm driven, inspired by the idea but no one said he HAD to do it.

The only reason I'd be disappointed is if they let me dream, day dream, hope, which lots of us do, then last moment say it's not him...I can handle the truth, whatever it is. I just don't want the truth slammed into my face, because then the truth hurts.
  • edited September 2010
    In that case, it's best to assume that none of the other original cast is in the game. Worst case scenario, you turn out to be correct, and you've already grieved over it so there's no disappointment.
  • edited September 2010
    The only reason I'd be disappointed is if they let me dream, day dream, hope, which lots of us do, then last moment say it's not him...I can handle the truth, whatever it is. I just don't want the truth slammed into my face, because then the truth hurts.

You're thinking about it the wrong way.

Think about it like this :

No news about MJ = No MJ voicing Marty.

Audtions for the Marty party = Obviously they don't have MJ.
  • edited September 2010
    Keep the voice actor discussion in the voice actor thread. No more redundant threads please.
This discussion has been closed.